GDT: PO Game #2 |Flyers at Rangers | Sun., Apr. 20, 2014 |12:00 p.m. ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I am just now realizing that we were outshot 13-1 in the third! In the playoffs!

You never pack it in in the playoffs. There is carry over in the series etc, it all matters. No matter what the score is.

We only had a few good looks but almost all of them came from shots from the posts and guys in front after a good forecheck. In the first their best dman looked flat out bad and then we let him off the hook.

I know G was closely checked but he wasnt playing all the way up. There was one play that confirmed that to me when G was on the forecheck and the ranger dman just cleared it and G didnt finish the check. The dman was even bracing for it.

The top line has to be our best line. I dont care who is checking them they have to step up and be noticeable. Its not ok to assume them being cancelled out like that and moving down to schenn and couts needing to win this for us. Berube called the top line out and id look for a better performance from them. The rest of the fwd know what they need to do and hopefully will do it and stick to it unlike last night. Simmer needed to stop stick checking everyone and schenn needs to stop waiting for the pucks and start getting them himself. Mason will be back in. I am not confident but I am hopeful they fix things and are back. Berube should have canceled the day off and had a practice today.

Swic21

Jan 8, 2012
Canada
Play like the Flyers. Don't let guys like Pouilot or Zuc push you around. Bury them with a clean hard check if they get tough with you. Show emotion and make the Rangers hurt from all the hits.

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
I put a ton of though into this and i will explain why I think this is the best possible line up next game vs the rangers.

Akeson Giroux Voracek
Hartnell Schenn Simmonds
Downie Couturier Read
Raffl Lecavalier Hall

Akeosn on the top line with Giroux and Voracek is something i can see a lot of people disagreeing with. But in my opinion its a great idea as akeson brings speed (sort of like raffl did except akeson has finish) and could provide a ton of offense and also helps balance the line up as a whole. The second line has been a joke. Adding Hartnell there might stir things up physically and offensively. Now we all know Downie sucks. But i believe giving him a second (its probably third or fourth) chance to show he's better would be good. We all know he can be a pain to play against and is a pest. He has also proved he can be good offensively with couturier and read. Now the fouth line is a very strong line. Hall is a great asset and with lecavalier having raffl with him is a blessing. Rinaldo is useless with his stick and makes things hard for lecavalier as he is basically playing by himself. And Raffl can take defensive faceoffs.

Timonen Macdonald
Coburn Schenn
Streit Gill

Streit and Gill looked great together. Gill is also miles better then Grossmann. I'm sorry but Grossmann is completely useless and provides nothing good but shot blocking. His hands are probably worse then anyone i have ever seen, people on this forum probably have better hands then him. Timonen and Macdonald on the top line is stacked. Macdonald is amazing at doing the safe play opposed to give aways and stupid risky plays. Gill is also good at doing so, he is a veteran and smart on the ice. Coburn and Schenn will be a pain to play against if you are the rangers as Coburn is a solid D man and Schenn can deliver shot blocking and physical presence.

Please share thoughts on this, as I truely believe this is the best line up for this team. But people always have opinions.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Gill should not be in the lineup over Gus.

Gus' competition is Timonen, Streit, & MacDonald. The Flyers don't want 4 undersized guys in the lineup. Gus is the weakest/least skilled out of those four hence why he sits.

Gill would be taking a spot from one of Coburn, Schenn, or Grossmann since he's a big/physical type of defender.

Swic21

Jan 8, 2012
Canada
Gill is so so so so so slow. There is a reason he was a healthy scratch for 70 games or whatever it was. If we are gonna depend on Gill in the playoffs it's all but over. The Rangers forwards would eat him alive. We need more speed not the slowest guy in the NHL. ( and he is the slowest guy in the league, name one slower) .

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
Gill is so so so so so slow. There is a reason he was a healthy scratch for 70 games or whatever it was. If we are gonna depend on Gill in the playoffs it's all but over. The Rangers forwards would eat him alive. We need more speed not the slowest guy in the NHL. ( and he is the slowest guy in the league, name one slower) .

He looked better in his two games than Grossmann has looked all year.

Swic21

Jan 8, 2012
Canada
He looked better in his two games than Grossmann has looked all year.

Which is why I said Gus instead go Grossmann or Gill. Who cares if we are smaller on the back end we actually have speed and puck movers. That's what we need this series not huge hulking d men. The Rangers are really not that physical anymore.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
I'm not convinced Berube knows **** about how to beat the Rangers:

Yesterday is was all about dumping the puck deep because Mc Donagh is so good with the stick:

“Dump the puck into his side, make him get it, bang him.
...Defensively, if we don’t get pucks deep we will lose this series. They've got a lot of guys who are quick and can counter and score. We've got to get pucks deeps. That has to be our mindset from the get-go.â€​
(Panaccio)

Today it's the opposite:

"Berube says Flyers will try to skate puck into zone more and have fewer dump ins."
( Sam Carchidi)​

Sigh, Berube is clueless. That's the biggest difference in this series other than goaltending, Berube seems out of his depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad