Post-Game Talk: PO #1 | FLYERS 0 at Penguins 7 | Wed., April 11, 2018, 7:00 pm ET

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
I'd bet that Vegas was willing to sell some players before the start of the season.
well it didnt happen and we dont know the phone calls that occurred.

I was thinking that LVGK would have taken more goalies but they didn't. I was fine exploring a fleury/subban then and would be fine now.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
are you talking about how you phrased the kane trade improperly. Im not worked up at all. i am very impressed by a poster who sits on the fence that is able to make judgments after the fact. Very impressive

No, the part where you thought a 1 year rental of Kane would win us a cup.

And like I said, there was no hindsight involved or sitting on the fence. I called it last year in mutiple threads. :laugh: It was obvious it was the injury, not an age-related decline.

Since you’re so salty impressed, I’ll share my secret with you....

If I don’t know what I’m talking about, I don’t open my mouth. ;)

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013

And like I said, there was no hindsight involved or sitting on the fence. I called it last year in mutiple threads. :laugh: It was obvious it was the injury, not an age-related decline.

I think he might have the wrong Kane. Patrick Kane wasn't available.

Reactions: Striiker

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
So it was 2007. And he played 24 AHL games first.

I don't know, there may be others. Price is the first guy I looked up.

Price has played a total of 12 AHL games in his life.

There's zero reason to not give Hart 30+ NHL starts next year.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Who was the last goalie to post a .947 save % in juniors?

I actually researched this before because I was curious.

The only comparable WHL season I know of was Norm Maracle putting up a .946 in 91-92. He was 17. The next closest were Tokarski and Griffen Outhouse at .937 each once and Tristan Jarry at .936.

The only guys to go above .940 in a recent OHL season were Gerald Coleman and Mike Murphy. No one put up .940+ in the Q.

That's not exactly an encouraging list.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia

then how do you breath?

if you can show me where I said renting kane would win us a cup i would be very impressed.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I don't know, there may be others. Price is the first guy I looked up.

Price has played a total of 12 AHL games in his life.

There's zero reason to not give Hart 30+ NHL starts next year.

Bob is the most recent, not by choice.

Before that, Mason. Before Mason, Fleury.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
The only comparable WHL season I know of was Norm Maracle putting up a .946 in 91-92. He was 17.

The only guys to go above .940 in a recent OHL season were Gerald Coleman and Mike Murphy.

No one put up .940+ in the Q.

That's not exactly an encouraging list.

Hart is a once-in-a-lifetime goalie prospect. There's zero chance he's not better than Elliott, Neuvirth, Mrazek or anyone else in the organization at playing goaltender right now.

There are plenty of goalies who can play in the NHL at age 20, and plenty of them who do fine. The reason it doesn't happen more often is that most teams actually have NHL goalies who are better than their 20-year-old prospects.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Hart is a once-in-a-lifetime goalie prospect. There's zero chance he's not better than Elliott, Neuvirth, Mrazek or anyone else in the organization at playing goaltender right now.

There are plenty of goalies who can play in the NHL at age 20, and plenty of them who do fine. The reason it doesn't happen more often is that most teams actually have NHL goalies who are better than their 20-year-old prospects.

I think you have to let him prove himself in the AHL for at least the first half of the season. Give him 40 games there and if he does well, call him up.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
then how do you breath?

if you can show me where I said renting kane would win us a cup i would be very impressed.
Are... are you not aware that you can breathe with your mouth closed...? :skeptic:

Well you said he would have cost us a 2nd round pick (also ignored the 3rd/4th), which means we wouldn't have re-signed him in your hypothetical scenario.
So if you don't think Kane would win us a cup then why did you want to acquire him, only for this one single year?

:popcorn:

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Are... are you not aware that you can breathe with your mouth closed...? :skeptic:

Well you said he would have cost us a 2nd round pick (also ignored the 3rd/4th), which means we wouldn't have re-signed him in your hypothetical scenario.
So if you don't think Kane would win us a cup then why did you want to acquire him, only for this one single year?

:popcorn:

im aware normal humans breath through their nose. it makes sense to buy low on a player of his ability and caliber.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
im aware normal humans breath through their nose. it makes sense to buy low on a player of his ability and caliber.
Buy low on a player for one single year, when we aren’t close to competing for a cup... then don’t re-sign him.

Does that make sense to you?

How about you just admit you got confused and finally realized this doesn’t make any sense. You gain nothing from continuing this.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Buy low on a player for one single year, when we aren’t close to competing for a cup... then don’t re-sign him.

Does that make sense to you?

How about you just admit you got confused and finally realized this doesn’t make any sense. You gain nothing from continuing this.

well in the offseason the value exchange would be a first for kane and a 2nd. Tell me when else has a 30 goal scorer in their prime been acquired so cheaply?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
well in the offseason the value exchange would be a first for kane and a 2nd. Tell me when else has a 30 goal scorer in their prime been acquired so cheaply?
Am I misreading this? Are you saying you would then trade him to someone in the offseason for a 1st round pick?

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Am I misreading this? Are you saying you would then trade him to someone in the offseason for a 1st round pick?

yes you are. kane was traded for a 2nd. If he is resigned that 2nd becomes a first, and san jose gets back their 2nd round pick. Kind of like the kimmo trade and all the conditions on the blackhawks winning the cup.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Because the goal is not to have a goalie better than Elliott, and that's it. It is to let him develop into a goalie who can be top 5 for a decade.

If you start him in the AHL, he can determine how fast he gets promoted by his play, and if he dominates the AHL, he'll be better prepared for a few setbacks in the NHL.
If you start him in the NHL, as one of your two goalies, and he falters, what then? And what if the subsequent yo-yo slows his development by a year or two?

It just makes more sense to take it slow and let his play dictate his future.
In the short-term we just have to upgrade over Elliott and Mrazek. Stolarz is one option, a short-term patch veteran is another option.
Spending substantial resources on a second tier goalie doesn't make sense right now (first tier guys don't hit the market).

Reactions: Tripod

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
yes you are. kane was traded for a 2nd. If he is resigned that 2nd becomes a first, and san jose gets back their 2nd round pick. Kind of like the kimmo trade and all the conditions on the blackhawks winning the cup.

Yes... we've already established the terms of the conditional pick... why are you repeating that...?

It boils down to one of two options, you can tell me which one you're suggesting we should have done.

A) We get Kane and DON'T re-sign him, which would cost us a 2nd round pick
or
B) We get Kane and then re-sign him, which would cost us a 1st round pick

If the answer is "A", then that's a horrible idea and a waste of a 2nd round pick because this team clearly has no chance to compete this year.
If the answer is "B", then that would mean you were wrong before when you said he wouldn't cost us a 1st round pick, only a 2nd.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Yes... we've already established the terms of the conditional pick... why are you repeating that...?

It boils down to one of two options, you can tell me which one you're suggesting we should have done.

A) We get Kane and DON'T re-sign him, which would cost us a 2nd round pick
or
B) We get Kane and then re-sign him, which would cost us a 1st round pick

If the answer is "A", then that's a horrible idea and a waste of a 2nd round pick because this team clearly has no chance to compete this year.
If the answer is "B", then that would mean you were wrong before when you said he wouldn't cost us a 1st round pick, only a 2nd.

he wouldn't cost us a first. Think of it as renting to buy. Its about as beneficial for the consumer as possible. The equity committed is not to large that it hurts us, and the option to buy is minuscule compared to what we already have invested.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think we can all agree that Ron should be willing to trade his 4th and later picks, Simmonds, (Weal, Hagg and other marginal prospects) to add depth this offseason, and sign a veteran or two who'd be an upgrade over Filppula and Lehtera to short-term deals. I'd even move the 2nd rd pick for a solid young forward.

I think the difference is some want to make the big push this offseason, and the rest of us would rather take it slow, let the kids marinate at Lehigh, see how the two 1st rd players do in their first post-draft season, and then make major moves. The first round picks, and top prospects like Ratcliffe and Allison should be off the table unless someone makes an offer Ron can't refuse.

When you add Vorobyev, Frost and NAK to Laughton, you're close to filling up the bottom six.
If Morin stays healthy and settles in, and Myers comes up at some point, you've pretty much filled out the 6 D spots.
And a year from now, we'll have a much better idea if Hart is the savior in goal, if guys like Allison and Ratcliffe and Laczynski and Strome and Rubtsov are near the NHL.

At that point, Ron can decide who he projects to the Flyers roster, and who he'll want to trade before their ELC runs out.
This offseason is just a little early to start rolling the dice.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
he wouldn't cost us a first. Think of it as renting to buy. Its about as beneficial for the consumer as possible. The equity committed is not to large that it hurts us, and the option to buy is minuscule compared to what we already have invested.

That is an absolutely horrible idea...

Definitely giving up a 2nd round pick, for a player who has no chance to help us get a cup this year, and then maybe giving up a 1st round pick IF we decide to keep him.

Reactions: Tripod

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad