Post-Game Talk: PO #1 | FLYERS 0 at Penguins 7 | Wed., April 11, 2018, 7:00 pm ET

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He struggled his first month in the AHL, he's have struggled in the NHL worse, especially paired with Patrick or Filppula.
Lindblom got brought up after Patrick started turning it around, which was far more conducive to him succeeding as a rookie than being paired with Filppula.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
This idea that playing in the AHL makes you better is just laughable. Lindblom dominated a league just as good as the AHL last year. He was a good NHL player the moment he stepped foot on the ice for the Flyers He didn't magically go from "bad NHL player" to "good NHL player" because Gordon poured magic dust on him for 4 months.

Twenty-one-year-olds have been coming over from Sweden and dominating right away with no AHL experience for decades. The Flyers have everyone brainwashed into thinking every player they get needs to be indoctrinated in the Flyer way or something. It's absurd.

What level of talent, a lot of SHL players spend a half season to season in the AHL adjusting to the NA game.

Lindblom has admitted he needed to get used to the faster game in smaller ice, he's not a uber talent who can just dominate through skills, a lot of his game is angles and anticipation.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
If it was never in management's thought process that making the playoffs was important this year, there was never any reason to give a minute of ice time to Filppula or Lehtera. Just play Leier and Weal every game, let them go through their ups and downs and see what they can do. If this season was only about development, banish/trade Manning and start Morin from Game 1.

DING DING DING

If this year doesnt matter to them why are TRASH VETERANS WITH NO FUTURE playing over promising kids with a future?

Coach/GM are either dumb or not on the same page.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
DING DING DING

If this year doesnt matter to them why are TRASH VETERANS WITH NO FUTURE playing over promising kids with a future?

Coach/GM are either dumb or not on the same page.
in fairness, it's because the GM is thinking about the future and what he thinks is right for the prospect.

the coach is doing what he thinks is right to win games today.

It is not always going to matchup.

Just like Hyman being on the top line...when JVR and Marner are on the 3rd line. Coaches have their favorites.

Reactions: Striiker

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If we had all the answers we would have submitted our resumes for his job. Its his job to improve the team, not ours. :thumbu:
Imagine your wife comes home and she’s angry with you. You ask what’s wrong and she says she’s pissed at you because you didn’t bring home a briefcase with $10,000 in it today. You ask how you were supposed to do that and she says that you should have been creative...

Does that make any sense? You’d think she was crazy.

Now if there was a clear and recognizable opportunity that you passed up on, then sure, be mad. But not even knowing what was/wasn’t possible and assuming you just didn’t try hard enough is pretty insane, right?:laugh:

Reactions: deadhead

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
There's also timing involved, you don't just want to add pieces willy nilly without regard to what the team will look like in 2-3 years.
Guys like Filppula, Lehtera, Read, Weise and MacDonald, are going to be gone in a year or two.

But last summer, Hextall was just starting to get a feel for the "future team," Frost hadn't dominated the OHL, Hart hadn't had a record year in the WHL, Ratcliffe hadn't put up 41 goals, Lindblom was just coming over, Sanheim and Morin were unknowns, and so on.

This summer he will have more assets to play with and a better feel for how his current players are developing and his prospects are faring. The needs on the team are more obvious, and the potential of the forwards in the pipeline easier to ascertain.

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
I dont know how they can watch other teams PK and then think what they are doing is the best approach. Its truly flabbergasting.
with the lack of adjustments and player usage on the pk and pp i think hakstol runs them more so than the assistant coaches. the assistants only look at film, make suggestions and are there to take the heat.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
He struggled his first month in the AHL, he's have struggled in the NHL worse, especially paired with Patrick or Filppula.
Lindblom got brought up after Patrick started turning it around, which was far more conducive to him succeeding as a rookie than being paired with Filppula.

I actually agree that Lindblom needed AHL time. Was it a month or two too late? Probably. But he did need to work on spacing and timing.

That said, never forget that Lindblom might not be on the team today had Simmonds not gotten injured. That's why he got brought up. It had nothing to do with Patrick, if that's what you were intimating. Just like Sanheim with Hagg.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Imagine your wife comes home and she’s angry with you. You ask what’s wrong and she says she’s pissed at you because you didn’t bring home a briefcase with $10,000 in it today. You ask how you were supposed to do that and she says that you should have been creative...

Now if there was a clear and recognizable opportunity that you passed up on, then sure, be mad. But not even knowing what was/wasn’t possible and assuming you just didn’t try hard enough is pretty insane, right?:laugh:

This sounds like a quote from someone who is not married. Try again fella.

Reactions: BernieParent

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

It's a false equivolency though.. I don't have the same amount of avenues to come up with $10,000 as Hextall does to improve the team.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I can only respond to the example you used bro lol
You know what I meant though.

It doesn’t have to be a perfect example to get the point across.

It’s like saying “you always think the grass is always greener on the other side” and then getting a response of “I live in the desert, there is no grass”. :laugh:

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
Weise was #12, Lehtera #13, Read sent to AHL which is an hour away.
Filppula was the 3C, he may be a bad 3C, but we were thin on centers in September.
And Laughton is playing LW with Lehtera at 4C b/c Hakstol sees the same things I see, that's where he belongs.

Lindblom wasn't ready in September.
Sanheim showed he wasn't ready, much better player since he returned.
Morin can't stay healthy, Hagg can, no one won a job from the trainer's table. Otherwise he would have gotten a long cameo to beat out Hagg early in the season.

Prospects rarely progress in a linear fashion, often it's one step back, two steps forward, which is why teams that win usually have a core that's 25-29 years old, that is, a lot of talented young players with their growing pains behind them - this team has 5 starters 21 or younger. Just look at Ghost and Couts, and see how much players can improve from 22-25.

Oh yeah, anyone notice Toronto getting smoked by Boston, 5-1, and outshot 40-27. Fire Babcock!
Jesus there is so much wrong here. Sometimes I wonder about you. Put the bong down.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
OK, I never got a chance to watch the first period of game 1. Just watched it now. The Flyers were actually playing very well. Lots of pressure in their end. Elliott coughed a bad rebound, Giroux and Couts failed to clear and bang, it was over early. There was some room for optimism then, which they capitalized on in game 2.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
... that’s not the point.

$10,000 was just a random example I pulled out of my ass...

God damn guys :facepalm:

What brand of briefcase is it in your analogy? One of the bulletproof metal ones that secret agents handcuff to their wrists? Because those cost a lot, so I would have to come up with a lot more than $10,000.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Now what if.... I brought home a suitcase that was worth 10,000 dollars but didn't have 10,000 dollars in it? Would/should she still be pissed Striiker? What's something like that worth on the black market?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad