Post-Game Talk: Plus/Minus Thread. Heart Break

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Welp. Just finishing watching this one. Obviously I'm a little late to the party.

You know... that was actually a very, very good playoff game. Obviously the results aren't what I wanted to see. But I can't complain about the way the team played. The only thing that truly infuriates me is that this effort, attention to detail and sheer want to win the game wasn't even close to there the first two games.

I give Boston plenty of credit. But that's still pretty inexcusable. This team shouldn't be staring a sweep right in the face... it's far worse than simply "disappointing." It's perhaps even more embarrassing than last season's playoff debacle. Perhaps.

But it's what happens when your organizational arrogance effectively spots them two games.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Yeah the Bruins are devouring our rush plays. They always have numbers back. It took us until Game 3 to finally dump it in and start a cycle. Not sure why it's that hard to realize, but we just didn't adjust in time.

We hardly have any rush plays because our fwds are playing so deep in the defensive zone that it prevents a smooth transition. Meanwhile, the Bruins post up on our D when we are in the offensive zone and cause them to make mistakes and are already rushing up ice once the possession changes.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Dupuis is not a top six forward on a Cup contender. Against tight checking teams, he doesn't produce.

Have no idea what happened to Iggy, but unless he gives us a severe discount, he can move along.

Sucks to be right about Dupuis and wrong about Iggy.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
This made me laugh:

Dave Molinari @MolinariPG
Bruins LW Shawn Thornton, on physical toll taken by double-OT game: "I played 3 minutes. You’re asking the wrong guy. I’m fresh as a daisy."

sexyllama

May 18, 2010
This made me laugh:

Bruins LW Shawn Thornton, on physical toll taken by double-OT game: "I played 3 minutes. You’re asking the wrong guy. I’m fresh as a daisy."

They should ask about the "mental" toll on Letang...:sarcasm:

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
This made me laugh:

LOL that's awesome. I like Thornton.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I have more faith in Iginla bouncing back -or whatever- than I do in Dupuis suddenly being a top 6 player for this far into the PO's. As long as he isn't misused... so it's a moot point unless Bylsma suffers a blow to the head.

I'm probably going to abstain from the Pre-game thread and GDT to avoid putting people through me ricocheting between optimism and pessimism. You Are Welcome.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
LOL that's awesome. I like Thornton.

At first I thought he meant that he only played 3 minutes between the two overtime periods and then I looked and realized that he really only played 3:56 the whole entire game :laugh:

But yeah, he's one of the more likeable guys that play his role.

titaniumexpose

LG Pens & Sharks
Dec 13, 2006
Ohio by way of Ford City, PA
It bothered me when they didn't isolate Campbell while he was hurt, no killer instinct...

I don't care about how the calls have gone this series, just disappointed with the leaders & coaches on this team being unable to reign them in when they get stupid.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Dupuis is not a top six forward on a Cup contender. Against tight checking teams, he doesn't produce.

And this gets proven every year in the playoffs, yet some folks want to insist he's more than capable of filling that role because his center happens to be named Crosby.

As we're seeing from this series, even Crosby can't carry a line offensively when he's being smothered.

I'll make a bold (not) prediction: If Kunitz and Dupuis are Crosby's wingers next post season, we'll be discussing the exact same issues about that line not producing as soon as the Pens play a team with any sort of strong defensive structure.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
And this gets proven every year in the playoffs, yet some folks want to insist he's more than capable of filling that role because his center happens to be named Crosby.

As we're seeing from this series, even Crosby can't carry a line offensively when he's being smothered.

I'll make a bold (not) prediction: If Kunitz and Dupuis are Crosby's wingers next post season, we'll be discussing the exact same issues about that line not producing as soon as the Pens play a team with any sort of strong defensive structure.

I agree. And this might sound a little harsh, but I don't know how crazy I am about the idea to resign Dupuis to a deal worth $3m+ to watch him rack up points because of Sid in the regular season and then drag him down in the playoffs.

I'd still love him as a third liner though.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I agree. And this might sound a little harsh, but I don't know how crazy I am about the idea to resign Dupuis to a deal worth $3m+ to watch him rack up points because of Sid in the regular season and then drag him down in the playoffs.

I'd still love him as a third liner though.

You know, this is almost my biggest fear and one of the reasons I actually wouldn't mind Dupuis walking as a free agent. With Dupuis gone, there isn't even the option to play him with Sid. At that point, maybe DB (or whoever is coach) would actually try someone different.

Which sucks because Dupuis really would be an amazing third liner for this team. But I'm just worried that as long as he's here, the coaching staff will continue to see him as a first line RW on Crosby's line, instead of playing someone with more talent on Sid's wing and putting Dupuis in his natural 3L spot.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Bennett looked more dangerous with half the ice time of Dupuis. In his first playoff run. And while playing with a struggling Brandon Sutter most of the time.

I love Dupes, but if he takes a spot over Bennett next year, then I don't want him back. Nor should Nisky take a spot over Despres.

And as much as I don't want to believe Iggy is close to done in this league, I can't shake that shift last night where Bennett literally battles through three Boston players to keep the cycle going, and Iggy immediately loses possession as soon as he touches it.

Bring in the youth next year.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Bennett looked more dangerous with half the ice time of Dupuis. In his first playoff run. And while playing with a struggling Brandon Sutter most of the time.

I love Dupes, but if he takes a spot over Bennett next year, then I don't want him back. Nor should Nisky take a spot over Despres.

And as much as I don't want to believe Iggy is close to done in this league, I can't shake that shift last night where Bennett literally battles through three Boston players to keep the cycle going, and Iggy immediately loses possession as soon as he touches it.

Where? We have blueliners, no high draft picks and Bennett.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
You know, this is almost my biggest fear and one of the reasons I actually wouldn't mind Dupuis walking as a free agent. With Dupuis gone, there isn't even the option to play him with Sid. At that point, maybe DB (or whoever is coach) would actually try someone different.

Which sucks because Dupuis really would be an amazing third liner for this team. But I'm just worried that as long as he's here, the coaching staff will continue to see him as a first line RW on Crosby's line, instead of playing someone with more talent on Sid's wing and putting Dupuis in his natural 3L spot.

I agree. Personally a Stalberg-Sutter-Dupuis third line for next year would make me very happy.

I'll have faith in Iggy until I see him screw up with an extended chance with Sid. (Which might be never since it seems like he'll never get played there :laugh:)

Dan mentioned today that he liked the Bennett-Sutter-Iginla line. Hell, I liked it, too. But I liked the 30 seconds of Bennett-Crosby-Iginla much more than either 19-16-12 or 14-87-9 in that game. (Excluding Sid's helmetless shift of course)

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Sorry. I really need to stop skimming. I still don't see it happening, but you are still in the shallow end of the pool.

Imagine my relief. ;)

He also has a knack for missing golden scoring opportunities. His rebound opportunity in OT was probably our best chance. He had all upstairs open and he fired it right into Rask's pad. I'm not blaming him, but if we had nearly anyone else in that situation it's game over.

I'll go a step further than that: he usually doesn't even recognize a scoring opportunity. That's not why we have him though. Not advocating keeping him, just saying every time we're all ready to get rid of him, he man's up in a big way during some playoff series.

Geno doesn't want it, so it's not applicable.

Says who? Geno is not going to come out to the media and say he wants to be Captain but I wager he'd be honored and jump at the chance if offerred. He won't be, but just sayin.

You've called for Sid to be stripped of the C multiple times before. That, combined with your "Geno is a better player if you don't agree, it's because you hate Russians" thing, it really FEELS like you have something against Sid. You are definitely one of the people on this board pushing the Sid vs Geno thing.

Do not use your feelings, Luke; they are betraying your brain. I have not called for Sid to be stripped of the C. You may be thinking of my awesome idea a few years ago of having Orpik be "co-captain". I felt it might be good to think outside of the box and have two captains. :laugh: This was not a popular idea but it also wasn't totally serious.

Today my comments were more serious, but I prefaced the whole thing by saying it's more about Sid's leadership style (not implying a total lack of leadership), and that he'd have to be OK with it for it to make sense. But I do think Geno would be a good Captain and I also think way too many yinzers buy into (subsconciously or otherwise) the "Canadian Captain is better than Russian Captain" mindset. I don't think everyone believes that, but there definitely are some here who seem to be onboard with towing the league line that everything must flow through Crosby or the earth will spin off its axis.

Surely you must see some of that here too? Anyway, I know there's no chance in hell it will happen, but I'm more trying to get people to realize just how good Geno is and how much he cares, more than anything against Sid. Sid is awesome but Malkin is equally awesome. If he were Canadian I bet you'd see a lot more debate over the years about who's better, who might be traded, etc. But because he's Russian, it's like a default thinking: if something bad happens, must always err on the side of Sid.

I wonder if Tom Fitzgerald has anything pressing on his schedule for Friday evening?

Bylsma did say today he might go back to the "original 5 man units we had success with". I know... timing is impeccable. This guy is a piece of work.

This made me laugh:

:laugh: Ask a stupid question...

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I agree. Personally a Stalberg-Sutter-Dupuis third line for next year would make me very happy.

I'll have faith in Iggy until I see him screw up with an extended chance with Sid. (Which might be never since it seems like he'll never get played there :laugh:)

Dan mentioned today that he liked the Bennett-Sutter-Iginla line. Hell, I liked it, too. But I liked the 30 seconds of Bennett-Crosby-Iginla much more than either 19-16-12 or 14-87-9 in that game. (Excluding Sid's helmetless shift of course)

DB's biggest flaw is his allegiance to certain players. He won't break up Sid's line. Even if it was obvious as **** last night that Sid was in the offensive zone more with Bennett and Iggy.

Bennett-Sid-Iggy
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis
Morrow-Vitale-Adams

Dupes can take the demotion like a man or walk in FA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad