Post-Game Talk: Plus-minus | Penguins 3, Panthers 1

fragmag

Mar 4, 2011
Pittsburgh
Come on, guys. Can't think every concussion is your typical Sid concussion. It's going to happen. Geno will be back. No worries. Maybe the time off will help him go insane when he comes back.

Where's the like button? I agree, couple games rest and hopefully he's back and ready to go.

SprootsMasterFlex

Sprootsing 4 Life
Apr 20, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Malkin's injury took all of the joy of tonight's game. I get the feeling that the focus will be all on him over the next little while.

+ for Jeffrey's performance
+ for Niskanen and Kennedy for elevating their trade value

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
- Anyone still want to talk about this teams 'toughness'? This team is the biggest collection of sissies I've seen in decades. Name one other team in the league in the last 50 years that would have absolutely no response to their star player getting launched into the boards and leaving w/ a possible concussion. Just embarrassing. Whether the hit was dirty or not (I don't think it was) shouldn't matter.

The Bruins after Cooke nailed Savard? We didn't exactly respond after Steckel cracked Sid either.

Anyways, as much as it ****ing hurts to lose Geno, this team needs to continue looking forward. It's a short season and the playoffs aren't that far away. If history is any indication of anything, it's that these guys know how to rise up in the face of adversity, especially when we lose star players to injury. This is the perfect opportunity for Sutter to really show what kind of potential he might have. It's also time for Jeffrey to FINALLY cement himself a spot on this team, which I think he's good enough to do!

In the meantime, how about that Bennett kid, eh? ;)

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Malkin's injury took all of the joy of tonight's game. I get the feeling that the focus will be all on him over the next little while.

+ for Jeffrey's performance
+ for Niskanen and Kennedy for elevating their trade value

Kennedy? I would think scouts watch games instead of stats right? That was probably his worst game of the season.

as far as our response to geno getting hurt, I don't know what the guys should have done. I hate retaliotions to clean plays. This wasn't even a big hit. It was Geno falling really badly, but the Panther barely did anything to him. What would it have helped to go and jump him?

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Well Kennedy's resume might still help with his trade value (Stanley Cup, lots of playoff experience, former 20+ goal scorer), and the fact that he's only 26 years old and doesn't bring a huge cap hit might weigh in his favor. So who knows. Maybe a jump to the Western Conference might suit his style of play better.

SprootsMasterFlex

Sprootsing 4 Life
Apr 20, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Well Kennedy's resume might still help with his trade value (Stanley Cup, lots of playoff experience, former 20+ goal scorer), and the fact that he's only 26 years old and doesn't bring a huge cap hit might weigh in his favor. So who knows. Maybe a jump to the Western Conference might suit his style of play better.

I always saw him on a team that thrives on relentless forechecking and playing a structured style (given his coachability) like Nashville, St Louis (Hitchcock), Minnesota (Yeo effect)...

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
That idiot would be your head coach of the Pittsburgh Penguins. :laugh:

Bylsma audio is here. Around the 1:10 mark.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/penguins-plus/119978-they-said-it-postgame

Well, here's hoping Bylsma decides to not be an idiot. We all know what Neal is capable of with a legit center, let's not try to Letestu him into a massive 20-game slump again (not to say Sutter is Letestu, but you get what I mean).

Watched the clip of the hit after getting home, and those are my thoughts as well.

Malkin's health aside for a moment... this teams centre depth with Malkin out of the lineup.

Crosby
Sutter
Kennedy
Jeffrey

Or something like that. Even more reason to acquire a guy like Cullen. No way he would fill Malkin's hole (no player could), but he would be a better option than Sutter.

We still have Sid. Might as well put Neal and Kunitz with him so we have a serious offensive threat on one line instead of diluting the talent and spreading it too thin. Neal doesn't create much on his own, but he's an incredible complimentary player.

This post made me experience concussion symptoms.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
The Bruins after Cooke nailed Savard? We didn't exactly respond after Steckel cracked Sid either.

Anyways, as much as it ****ing hurts to lose Geno, this team needs to continue looking forward. It's a short season and the playoffs aren't that far away. If history is any indication of anything, it's that these guys know how to rise up in the face of adversity, especially when we lose star players to injury. This is the perfect opportunity for Sutter to really show what kind of potential he might have. It's also time for Jeffrey to FINALLY cement himself a spot on this team, which I think he's good enough to do!

In the meantime, how about that Bennett kid, eh? ;)

You're exactly right. Boston didn't do anything immediately after that hit, and they were ridiculed by their fans and media for weeks after. Now they're loaded with guys that'll rip your head off if you **** around. They haven't had a problem since.

We didn't do anything after the Steckel or Tampa Bay hit on Sid. Our pacifist fans and owners chalked it up to being 'unfortunate'. We got weaker and smaller since then. And since then we've had Letang and now Geno knocked out with concussions. How coincidentally 'unfortunate'.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
You're exactly right. Boston didn't do anything immediately after that hit, and they were ridiculed by their fans and media for weeks after. Now they're loaded with guys that'll rip your head off if you **** around. They haven't had a problem since.

We didn't do anything after the Steckel or Tampa Bay hit on Sid. Our pacifist fans and owners chalked it up to being 'unfortunate'. We got weaker and smaller since then. And since then we've had Letang and now Geno knocked out with concussions. How coincidentally 'unfortunate'.

I don't care if Geno was on the ice with Godard, MacIntyre, Engelland and Bortuzzo, this last hit wasn't being prevented.

Zatch88

Im stumbling spheres
Oct 20, 2011
Johnstown
The message since the hit is..."oh, no response from the Pens. Feel free to go after their star players."

THAT's the problem.

who went after our star players after that? no one. **** happens. It seems like all you guys whining about no toughness just want to see someone retaliate as a way to vent your frustration or make you feel better about the injury. No amount of toughness would have prevented that.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
It's not about that. It's about establishing a foundation. You touch 87 or 71, there's going to be trouble. That slowly builds over time, and then the Penguins become a lot tougher in general, and harder to beat on home ice. The fear factor, it still exists in the game.

You guys are looking at it from a micro level, not a macro level. A winning team doesn't just happen. The attitude starts well before the playoffs begin.

And right now, we don't have a winning attitude. We're chalking up wins, playing our game, not even looking at the games within a game. There are many many battles to be won before the war is over. We do not have the type of team that can win four rounds.

Not even close.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Let's leave fighting out of it for a second:

The Pens used to be *****es to play against. You'd get crunched every time you touched the puck. They were, to use a hockey cliche, "tough to play against."

Right now the Pens lack puck possession - minus a few glorious shifts here and there - they don't win board battles, they don't beat you up, and their only pests are Crosby, Malkin, and Letang, and they only get pesty when they're frustrated.

So they aren't tough to play against in basically any way. (Other than, you know, most teams lose against them. So there's that)

Fire Shero*

This is horrible. We were already pretty much a one line scoring team before this injury because Malkin and Neal haven't done much at even strength. Now we are really a one line team at even strength. So now Sutter will have to spoon feed Neal? That's scary.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
who went after our star players after that? no one. **** happens. It seems like all you guys whining about no toughness just want to see someone retaliate as a way to vent your frustration or make you feel better about the injury. No amount of toughness would have prevented that.

I certainly don't agree w/ you on this. Question though, your avatar, do you think a tee shirt with that exists?

Zatch88

Im stumbling spheres
Oct 20, 2011
Johnstown
I certainly don't agree w/ you on this. Question though, your avatar, do you think a tee shirt with that exists?

haha if it did I would already have it. :) I do have a tshirt of the exact same thing with a steelers logo in the skull though.

you could probably get a custom made though.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
Jags and Ice, I couldn't agree more. Fighting is just a small part of toughness. I don't know if some guys on here are young and only started watching hockey a year or two ago, or they're fascinated with European-style hockey or what. Being a tough team to play against is a winning formula. Has been for decades. We currently are not in any way, shape, or form tough to play against. We get by in the regular season because we have a few of the best players in the game. We'll never wear a team down in a series with this lineup, unless we play a team softer than us (which isn't many). And as we've seen the last few years, we have trouble even getting to the playoffs with a healthy lineup.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
haha if it did I would already have it. :) I do have a tshirt of the exact same thing with a steelers logo in the skull though.

you could probably get a custom made though.

Yeah I have a green Steelers shirt like that. Where did you get the avatar? I may try getting one made. My old tour shirts are on their last fiber. lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad