Post-Game Talk: Plus/Minus: Fleury & Sid against Western Canada

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
So we should move Ehrhoff or Martin for an impact winger?

The Bruins also moved Stuart/Wheeler for Peverly.

The Sens moved Havlat for Preissing and futures.

That's already four impact trades involving vets right off the top of my head.

So it's hardly unprecedented that vets have been moved from SC teams.

It's a moot exercise anyway, because JR isnt trading Crosby's buddy.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
+ Crosby
+ Fleury
+ Kunitz
+ Despres

-Didn't care for how Pouliot was the one covering for Bortuzzo.

JQR

Clearly it's Lovejoy
Jan 25, 2012
+ Very proud of Fleury so far this season. He came in needing to prove everyone wrong. He needed to prove his own worth to the organization. So far... A++++ job of doing so. Very proud of #29.

Eh, I wish I could be so optimistic. The giant question mark in April brings out the most jaded elements in me.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
+ KCP Somebody needs to come up with a nickname for that line.

+ 4th line I'm starting to think Goc was part of the problem on that line, that line has been much much better without him.

Did anybody hear what happened with Despres? I believe he left the game late in the 3rd.

Last edited:

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Eh, I wish I could be so optimistic. The giant question mark in April brings out the most jaded elements in me.

Trade him right ***** NOW!

slap_shot_goalie_on_phone.jpg

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Very little wrong with that game except for the PP.

And yes, like many others I was just watching that double minor in absolute amazement that Geno could look that bad/dumb/uncoordinated.

Kills me that Bennett is not getting the chance to play his way back on Johnston's good side. He and Malkin absolutely owned in most of their games together. I just don't get it.

Maybe benching bennet motivated Kunitz? lol
#NHLCOACHINGLOGIC
#punishtheyoungguystogetthroughtothevets...
#Despresyouarenext...

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5

+ 4th line I'm starting to think Goc was part of the problem on that line, that line has been much much better without him.

Did anybody hear what happened with Despres? I believe he left the game late in the 3rd.

The Two and a Half Men Line

Good Old Boys

Last edited:

penguins2946*

The "We could make a better 1st line, but Crosby wants to play with his declining buddy" line?

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
The Bruins also moved Stuart/Wheeler for Peverly.

The Sens moved Havlat for Preissing and futures.

That's already four impact trades involving vets right off the top of my head.

So it's hardly unprecedented that vets have been moved from SC teams.

It's a moot exercise anyway, because JR isnt trading Crosby's buddy.

You also have to consider that this season games like the one against Calgary for Kunitz have been too few and far between.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
I'm turning into a huge Perron fan. It's amazing what happens when you add in a guy that can actually create for himself (and isn't named Sid or Geno) to the top 6. If they're not trying to lock him up at 1201 on July 1 ...

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Only thing I slightly worry about this team is faceoffs. I'm not saying we needed to keep Goc, because he didn't fit the 4th line, but having a faceoff guy on the team is big. Here are the last couple games. Not awful, but just take a gander.

vs. Cal: 48%
vs. Edm: 45%
vs. Preds: 50%
vs. Devils: 51%
vs. Caps: 38%

Goc is operating at 57%+ with STL
Lap is operating at 46% with PIT

Adams: 38.7%
Malkin: 43.2%
Sid: 49.2%
Sutter: 50.3%
Arcobello: 28.6% with Pens (very small stats)
Spaling: 49.5%

When it comes down to it, we don't have a go-to guy in the draw at the end of the game. That could be very important.

BeautiPhil

Toronto Sun Model
Nov 23, 2010
Virginia
I'll just point to his previous post seasons.

My main problem with the Fleury-hate crowd is that they seem to blame him for our playoff collapses.

Was he part of the problem? Certainly. Was he the entire problem? Not even close.

Pathetic team defense, lack of depth scoring or just scoring in general, getting physically dominated, failure of the coach to systematically adjust, piss poor neutral zone play and costly turnovers. It's way too easy to point fingers at the guy who ultimately lets the puck in the net, when all of the guys in front of him are playing like garbage.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'll just point to his previous post seasons.

No.. he's talking about the people who said the all-star performance was Fleury's demon now. That was laughable.

Listen nobody is going to debate that he needs to bring it in the postseason. Nobody. BUt sit back and enjoy the ride a bit.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
You also have to consider that this season games like the one against Calgary for Kunitz have been too few and far between.

It's kind of obvious BB was a scapegoat and I'll keep repeating it until people get nauseated reading me say it.

It pays to be Sid's buddy. Vote for Pedro.

Despres has turned out to be a stud, so happy we didn't trade him.

Despres is not any good!

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
My main problem with the Fleury-hate crowd is that they seem to blame him for our playoff collapses.

Was he part of the problem? Certainly. Was he the entire problem? Not even close.

Pathetic team defense, lack of depth scoring or just scoring in general, getting physically dominated, failure of the coach to systematically adjust, piss poor neutral zone play and costly turnovers. It's way too easy to point fingers at the guy who ultimately lets the puck in the net, when all of the guys in front of him are playing like garbage.

Pretty easy to make the case that he's the single most culpable player on the team for the Pens' playoff struggles from 2010 to 2014, which is why some people (especially me) were pissed when he re-signed.

But he had a pretty good playoffs last year, and is playing very well this year when the opponents aren't from the Metro. I really do hope he thrives in the playoffs this year, even if I have serious doubts.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Doubt is warranted. That goes for the entire team but definitely maf. But we should, like you did, acknowledge the good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad