Confirmed with Link: Plotnikov traded to Arizona for Matthias Plachta, 2017 conditional 7th-round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I think we're supposed to be impressed with how tough Sullivan was with this, feel sorry for the Pens and like loyal Pens (aka the Kunitz, Porter and Lovejoy ilk) more. Mainly I still hate Kunitz and Porter, and laugh at how tough Sullivan is because of it.

Be tough on players who are justifiably upset at having been misused after spending a ton of money out of their own pocket just for an opportunity.

Be soft as baby **** on players who have no discernible on-ice purpose.

The Sully Way.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
You tell us what's going on then since you seem to have all the answers.
I've already expressed what I believe, but I'm open to hearing other's opinions. All I've read so far is that they for some unknown reason signed this guy just to jerk him around and then run a smear campaign against him for again, an unknown reason.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
My opinion is that it's true, but they shouldn't have put it out in the open. It doesn't make anyone look good.

Answering a question that not many people were asking doesn't come off as PR gamesmanship to me, it comes off as a guy living up to his reputation of not being able to keep his mouth shut.

If I recall correctly, they threw some breadcrumbs to the media about Despres and let them create the BS narrative. This just strikes me as Rutherford being himself.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I've already expressed what I believe, but I'm open to hearing other's opinions. All I've read so far is that they for some unknown reason signed this guy just to jerk him around and then run a smear campaign against him for again, an unknown reason.

:laugh: If that's what you think people are saying.

My view is JR signed Plots to be a top 9 winger. Plots paid his own money to come to the US to be a top 9 winger. He didn't know the language or the culture. He was meh for most of his time but was showing promise near the end in a 4th line role with Cullen-Fehr. New coach comes in and doesn't seem impressed. Brings up WBS kids and Plots sits for them.

Plots likely gets frustrated (maybe misses home, can't communicate as he'd like, other personal factors). He expresses his frustration to someone in the organization and mentions wanting to go back to KHL (next year, this summer, right now, at some point in his life? We don't know those details).

Sullivan didn't like how Plots went about it AND doesn't really like him as a player anyway. Chooses to bench him indefinitely.

JR, for some unknown reason, decides to tell the media that Plots wanted to go back to Russia and it pissed off Sullivan.

This brings up 2 questions:
1. Why the hell did JR say that to the media?
2. IF the coach doesn't like Plots and Plots want to go to Russia, why the hell is he still here?

The smear campaign thing was probably a stretch on my part, but I still believe it's unprofessional for a GM to say what he did. You and others seem to be taking those comments and praising Sullivan and being critical of Plots. I don't think that's fair and whether JR intended to or not, he threw Plots under the bus.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

My view is JR signed Plots to be a top 9 winger. Plots paid his own money to come to the US to be a top 9 winger. He didn't know the language or the culture. He was meh for most of his time but was showing promise near the end in a 4th line role with Cullen-Fehr. New coach comes in and doesn't seem impressed. Brings up WBS kids and Plots sits for them.

Plots likely gets frustrated (maybe misses home, can't communicate as he'd like, other personal factors). He expresses his frustration to someone in the organization and mentions wanting to go back to KHL (next year, this summer, right now, at some point in his life? We don't know those details).

Sullivan didn't like how Plots went about it AND doesn't really like him as a player anyway. Chooses to bench him indefinitely.

JR, for some unknown reason, decides to tell the media that Plots wanted to go back to Russia and it pissed off Sullivan.

2. IF the coach doesn't like Plots and Plots want to go to Russia, why the hell is he still here?

The smear campaign thing was probably a stretch on my part, but I still believe it's unprofessional for a GM to say what he did. You and others seem to be taking those comments and praising Sullivan and being critical of Plots. I don't think that's fair and whether JR intended to or not, he threw Plots under the bus.

Seems pretty simple. JR likes to open his mouth.

Plots showed promise, but never really delivered. Every single one of the WBS kids has proven more in their time up outside of Porter. Would've obviously liked to see Plots get more of a chance, but at the same time you've got to earn it.

Cue Kunitz complaints.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Seems pretty simple. JR likes to open his mouth.

Plots showed promise, but never really delivered. Every single one of the WBS kids has proven more in their time up outside of Porter. Would've obviously liked to see Plots get more of a chance, but at the same time you've got to earn it.

Cue Kunitz complaints.

I don't disagree that you have to earn in, but frankly I thought he was fine and his possession numbers helped the team IMO.

I've also said he should be in a rotation to play with the WBS kids, but that hasn't happened. Whether that has to do with what JR said today, we don't really know.

As for JR liking to open his mouth, that's probably a lot of it but still doesn't explain why Plots is still here if both parties want to move on. That's the weird part to me and why I take those comments with a grain of salt. We have no idea the context of those comments.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I don't disagree that you have to earn in, but frankly I thought he was fine and his possession numbers helped the team IMO.

I've also said he should be in a rotation to play with the WBS kids, but that hasn't happened. Whether that has to do with what JR said today, we don't really know.

I agree he should be in rotation, but how many times have we seen an NHL coach single out a fourth liner to "prove a point". Plots is the easiest one to do it too. It should be done to players like Kunitz and Perron, but without them in the line-up we'd be screwed.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
No, they're not DEDICATED enough to the TEAM and CREST. Punish them! (And remember to give Kunitz his iron pill wrapped in cheese, and a juicebox)

I love how they've done this when they're in a fight for the playoffs, nothing says winning like a PR kerfuffle and the players having to handle this.

Man, what a terrible teammate! Sounds like a sulking, self-centered, me-first, eurotrash ******* if ever I saw (heard vaguely through the internet) one! Yes sireee

Great post, btw. The image of Kunitz scarfing down food like a dog made me laugh.

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
Might as well post this here as well.

Reminder that Kevin Porter has 38 GP, with 0 goals and 3 assists. All the while being less physical, smaller, and a worse skater.

And no, it's not because Porter's a center and we have injuries. And no, I don't think Plotnikov is some kind of great player being wasted, just a better option than Porter.

Your point was true before we were down to our 6th and 7th centers. Now Porter isn't playing Plotnikov's position, so can't be taking his spot.

Your point will be correct again on Saturday when Porter won't be needed at center.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Your point was true before we were down to our 6th and 7th centers. Now Porter isn't playing Plotnikov's position, so can't be taking his spot.

Your point will be correct again on Saturday when Porter won't be needed at center.

It doesn't matter who is in Plots 'spot' anymore because his spot is in the press box.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

Bill West (among others) is saying Porter's time in the lineup ends when we get our centers back. Playing him over Plotnikov at Wing in a stray game in December is one thing. Playing him over Plotnikov at center is no-brainer obvious. Playing him over Wilson, Sheary, Rust or Kuhnhackl at wing after what they've done in February is quite another.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Bill West (among others) is saying Porter's time in the lineup ends when we get our centers back. Playing him over Plotnikov at Wing in a stray game in December is one thing. Playing him over Plotnikov at center is no-brainer obvious. Playing him over Wilson, Sheary, Rust or Kuhnhackl at wing after what they've done in February is quite another.

This.

If it wasn't for your curious Bennett hatred, you and I could be friends. :laugh:

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

My last post may have been a little bit hyperbolic, but you can’t deny there are people who are saying the Penguins never gave Plotnikov a chance because they hate Euros and love Kevin Porter. They did, he just wasn’t very good. Better than Porter, but still not very good.

Yes, I was critical of Plots and in support of Sullivan benching him. Still am. Maybe Sullivan puts on a great show during his pressers, but I just don’t think he’s the type of coach to let a misunderstanding cause a situation where they call up 6 players over the course of 2 months to play ahead of him. Judging by what I’ve heard from Sullivan, I’m going to give him the benefit of doubt over Plotnikov.

I agree JR was rather unprofessional, but I agree with others who have said JR just can’t keep his ****ing mouth shut. That doesn’t mean it is a smear campaign like you mentioned with Despres.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Plotnikov never should have been benched in the first place.

He wasn't scoring when nobody was scoring. But he was also big, physical, and strong along the boards when nobody else on the team was big, physical, and strong along the boards.

Guy got pegged with a few BS penalties and became less physical for a spell, and all of a sudden became persona non grata around here. Fruit fly memories at work.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
This is my issue with the Plotnikov situation:

JR signed him and told us he was brought in to be a 'top 9 winger'. They brought him over here, helped him find a translator, a place to live, start English classes, etc. Do you give up on a guy like that after 32 games in favor of Tom Kuhnhackl?

Plots is benched and not put back into the lineup and we hear nothing. Sullivan dodges the question any time he is asked about Plots and then JR comes out with the comments today.

How about showing some accountability? They signed the guy, called him top 9, and then banish him to the press box after 32 games. Is he not worth working with in the AHL? Does he not want to go to the AHL? Did you make a mistake signing him? Why is he still here if you don't want him and he doesn't want to be here? It's just strange.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Came to write this... I mean absolutely 100%. Penguins stopped playing him before saying this. He has every right to want to go back.

If I paid $500,000 to get out of a KHL contract and come play for the Pens only to be sat in favour of Kevin Porter, Conor Sheary, etc I'd want out too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad