Confirmed with Link: Plotnikov traded to Arizona for Matthias Plachta, 2017 conditional 7th-round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
That's exactly what it is. How many other quotes have we gotten from Plots? How many times has he been requested for interviews? Did he even understand the question?

I don't even know where he's at with his English or if there was someone there to translate, but it's starting to scream more weird Pens ****. All they need to do to end it is send him to the AHL and if he wants out he'll go and if he's committed to this then he'll stay. If he stays he's somewhere beneficial to him, if he's gone they open up cap space and lose a contract.

I'm waiting for the "Porter is a great teammate and Kunitz is a WARRIOR (Lovejoy talks good)!!!" article to come. They've created a lightning rod out of this.

I'm picking up what you're laying down, friend.

Seriously, they spent zero assets in acquiring him. If he wants out, waive him and let him use his out clause. The organization gains a contract spot, potentially saves a little over $300K and looks like nice guys. Instead, they look like dicks on a power trip. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Which makes you wonder why they're even doing this. Do they think that they'll get a lot of **** for him being gone if they don't do a smear campaign that makes them look good? Or is it some attempt to make their loyal but dedicated and ****** players look good, and everyone can bask in how tough Sullivan is? Probably.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Gotta love JBomb. Nary a soul in the Pgh media aside from him capable of asking tough-ish questions, apparently.

West is on triblive right now, he said JBomb had a 'laundry list' of questions for GMJR. I'm looking forward to reading that article.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
One last thought: I know I'm too much of a ***** to be a successful athlete or coach or GM, but if a player comes to me and says these things, my first though is neither "play him more!" Or "TO PRESS BOX PRISON!" but actually talking to him and trying to work something out.

cajal

Go Pens!
Dec 13, 2007
Miskatonic U
The organization just makes themselves look petty. This organization (the people running it) really are unlikable.

I absolutely agree. The "winning the PR war is more important than anything" attitude this club has displayed since the franchise hit their most recent low is absolutely disgusting.

I know that every team is invested in PR to a certain degree, but this has been a special kind of awful for a decade now. The franchise is almost like a hipster that has to convince anyone and everyone that all of their decisions are absolutely the best, coolest and ONLY way to do things - results be damned.

I know this is nothing new, but considering the makeup of their front office and ownership it makes sense. Everyone from those at the top all the way down to the reporters have to be on the same page - or else. I love the Pens but they are really a **** franchise in that regard recently.

TL;DR. Plotnikov has been twirling his imaginary Snidely Whiplash mustache handed down from several other Pens who have worn it in recent memory - who left, of course. Who cares if Plotnikov sucks or not, there are other players on the team who suck more who play - but Sergei is a turncoat who wanted to pick up his toys and go home because he didn't play enough.

Who knows what the truth behind this story really is, but this coming out is in line with the MO for the franchise.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Why bring it up at all then? There was no reason to really answer that way. Just let it be.

I don't get that either.

The Despres nonsense was all about deflection, there was nothing to deflect from here. People like us care about what's going on with Plotnikov, but we're not the majority.

It's red meat for the xenophobes and mouth breathers, but they don't care that he's not playing either.

This creates more discussion about something that could have easily been swept under the rug.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
I'll be here, waiting for highlights! :nod:

No real highlights. They're just as perplexed as to why GMJR dropped that little nugget as we are, and wondering why they don't just waive him.

Doesn't think HCMS is real high on Määttä.

GMJR looking to pick up a depth D. More concerned with character than handedness.

GMJR specifically said will not trade Sprong, Murray or Pooh. Not wanting to give up 2nd in this draft.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
One last thought: I know I'm too much of a ***** to be a successful athlete or coach or GM, but if a player comes to me and says these things, my first though is neither "play him more!" Or "TO PRESS BOX PRISON!" but actually talking to him and trying to work something out.

No, they're not DEDICATED enough to the TEAM and CREST. Punish them! (And remember to give Kunitz his iron pill wrapped in cheese, and a juicebox)

I love how they've done this when they're in a fight for the playoffs, nothing says winning like a PR kerfuffle and the players having to handle this.

EliteGoaltending

Jan 7, 2016

i absolutely agree. The "winning the pr war is more important than anything" attitude this club has displayed since the franchise hit their most recent low is absolutely disgusting.

I know that every team is invested in pr to a certain degree, but this has been a special kind of awful for a decade now. The franchise is almost like a hipster that has to convince anyone and everyone that all of their decisions are absolutely the best, coolest and only way to do things - results be damned.

I know this is nothing new, but considering the makeup of their front office and ownership it makes sense. Everyone from those at the top all the way down to the reporters have to be on the same page - or else. I love the pens but they are really a **** franchise in that regard recently.

Tl;dr. Plotnikov has been twirling his imaginary snidely whiplash mustache handed down from several other pens who have worn it in recent memory - who left, of course. Who cares if plotnikov sucks or not, there are other players on the team who suck more who play - but sergei is a turncoat who wanted to pick up his toys and go home because he didn't play enough.

Who knows what the truth behind this story really is, but this coming out is in line with the mo for the franchise.
:handclap:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I wouldn't feel too bad for Plots.
Pens are paying him big time to sit.

You do realize he bought out his KHL contract from his own pocket for an opportunity to play in the NHL, right?

He's a hockey player. He wants to play, not get paid to sit. If money were his first priority, he'd still be in the KHL.

The organization just makes themselves look petty. This organization (the people running it) really are unlikable.

No doubt.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
JB saying that Plots isn't sent down to the AHL because of LTIR relief. He's suggesting that if they sent him down now, they won't get as much relief. I thought that only mattered WHEN you put a player on LTIR but it's still interesting.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Props to cassius for going against the grain and predicting that Plotnikov would be a huge bust ala Janne Pesonen. Good call right there

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
The public comments, not the benching.
So Sullivan went from playing him regularly to benching him for 2 straight months just to stick it to him for nothing? If you say so.

I don't really give a ****. Plotnikov isn't that good. I've already spent way too much time thinking about a borderline 4th line player.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Further cements my theory that North American hockey coaches are the most petty and worthless of all pro sports coaches... pretty much hold grudges and have bigoted biases that negatively affect teams and honestly mostly are all strategically inept.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
So Sullivan went from playing him regularly to benching him for 2 straight months just to stick it to him for nothing? If you say so.

I don't really give a ****. Plotnikov isn't that good. I've already spent way too much time thinking about a borderline 4th line player.

Uhh I don't think you understand what I'm saying.

I'm saying the org is throwing Plots under the bus to the media. Why I have no idea.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Uhh I don't think you understand what I'm saying.

I'm saying the org is throwing Plots under the bus to the media. Why I have no idea.
I understand perfectly, but I don't think people outside of HFB care enough about Plotnikov to run a smear campaign against him.

I think it's more likely something actually did happen to cause Sullivan, a pretty straightforward guy, to go from playing him regularly to benching him for 2 straight months.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I understand perfectly, but I don't think people outside of HFB care enough about Plotnikov to run a smear campaign against him.

I think it's more likely something actually did happen to cause Sullivan, a pretty straightforward guy, to go from playing him regularly to benching him for 2 straight months.

1) this statement proves that you don't understand Shady's point

2) and everyone's point is, okay, so why not cut him if that's what he wants and you're pissed at him/

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
1) this statement proves that you don't understand Shady's point

2) and everyone's point is, okay, so why not cut him if that's what he wants and you're pissed at him/
1) Got it. They are running a smear campaign against him. Understanding and agreeing are 2 different things.

2) Don't know, don't care, didn't comment on.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I think we're supposed to be impressed with how tough Sullivan was with this, feel sorry for the Pens and like loyal Pens (aka the Kunitz, Porter and Lovejoy ilk) more. Mainly I still hate Kunitz and Porter, and laugh at how tough Sullivan is because of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad