Music: Please rank these British bands on how much you like them

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
So um looking at these rankings, am I the only person who's bothered to listen to any newer British bands since the late-90s lol outside of the sixth guy to reply?
The fact that nobody has any on their list doesn't suggest that they've never bothered to listen to any of them-- it just suggests that they don't find any to be notable. Each post would be pages and pages long if everyone listed everything they've heard.

Personally, I've disliked most of the ones I've heard, including stuff like Keane, Arctic Monkeys, Franz Ferdinand, The Libertines, and Muse (I'm pretty sure I've listened to Travis and Suede before too, but found them so forgettable that I probably wouldn't be able to identify them if I heard them)

Not attacking your preferences of course, just correcting the assumption.

Last edited:

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
In order of the ones I like the most, not necessarily the best from an "objective" point of view:

Zeppelin
Beatles
Stones
The Who

The rest. I wish I could get into David Bowie, but despite my best efforts he just doesn't do it for me. This is definitely a reflection of my unrefined palate, but I find that covers of his music (particularly Nirvana's rendition of Man Who Sold the World) to be far more listenable than the original.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
The fact that nobody has any on their list doesn't suggest that they've never bothered to listen to any of them-- it just suggests that they don't find any to be notable. Each post would be pages and pages long if everyone listed everything they've heard.

Oh I'm not saying you have to like the ones I liked. I have weird tastes, my favourite band sings in a language I don't understand.

But at the same time, this would be the equivalent of doing a best players list and not including any post-lockout player in the all-time top-20. Which tbh probably is exactly what would happen if a bunch of older people who went from being hardcore hockey fans to being more casual hockey fans in their adulthood.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
But at the same time, this would be the equivalent of doing a best players list and not including any post-lockout player in the all-time top-20. Which tbh probably is exactly what would happen if a bunch of older people who went from being hardcore hockey fans to being more casual hockey fans in their adulthood.
I have an issue with that analogy because it automatically assumes that the health of the industry/league just remains consistently high throughout different time periods and extremes can't exist within this.

Making a best players list without any post-lockout players would make sense if, hypothetically, the league fell off after the lockout and the caliber of players were just never the same after that. It's entirely possible, it just happens to obviously not be the case with the NHL.

I just think it's overly presumptuous to see a lack of representation in someone's rankings and assume that it must be due to ignorance rather than an actual perspective that would result in that lack of representation.

Just anecdotally, I started getting interested in music in the late 2000s and then dug backwards in time, becoming more interested as I went, and I personally felt that music got worse and worse from the 90s to the 2000s to completely abysmal in the 2010s. That's not due to some dismissable nostalgic bias, that's just how I feel about the material.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad