Please Grade Dubas on today's Free Agent Pickups.

Give Kyle Dubas a letter grade on this day.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Point is that if rosters like that can go on a run - whatever you think of the Leafs roster as constructed - it's not lightyears away as some would have you believe.

Its not light years away. Thise runs you speak off were easy to make every team would never make any improvements or drastic changes

The backbone of any of those runs including St Louis few years ago was goaltending

Something it seems we will never fix. Our goaltending hasn't been top tier since maybe Belfour days

You can front load all with talent. Oilers early 2010s had young talent. They didn't have a goalie

Jonathan quick took a 8th seeded playoff team to stanly cup

Those runners as a team have something in common. They work their ass off. They fight and scratch and they get good goal tending

Something we don't have any of those. Very few a purely offensive team makes the finals

GoLeafsGo96

Dec 26, 2010
Its not light years away. Thise runs you speak off were easy to make every team would never make any improvements or drastic changes

The backbone of any of those runs including St Louis few years ago was goaltending

Something it seems we will never fix. Our goaltending hasn't been top tier since maybe Belfour days

You can front load all with talent. Oilers early 2010s had young talent. They didn't have a goalie

Jonathan quick took a 8th seeded playoff team to stanly cup

Those runners as a team have something in common. They work their ass off. They fight and scratch and they get good goal tending

Something we don't have any of those. Very few a purely offensive team makes the finals

Goaltending is inherently extremely random year to year though. Price has been awful for multiple years and then went on a monster run. Khudobin was the goalie that took DAL on their run...

Also - purely offensive team? This leafs team's biggest issue was their lack of offense. Once they added Brodie - their D has been great and their defensive metrics are really strong - top 10. Biggest issue right now is depth scoring and the powerplay.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Goaltending is inherently extremely random year to year though. Price has been awful for multiple years and then went on a monster run. Khudobin was the goalie that took DAL on their run...

Also - purely offensive team? This leafs team's biggest issue was their lack of offense. Once they added Brodie - their D has been great and their defensive metrics are really strong - top 10. Biggest issue right now is depth scoring and the powerplay.

I would argue those numbers are significantly deflated

Our D got better with Brodie but really isn't good enough

We played 18 games against offense challenged teams in Ottawa and Habs. Not to mention Patterson less Canucks and Winnipeg that missing Laine

Our D metrics look much better than where it needs to be

Next year that won't be case. We are going to face barkov, kuch , Panarin, Pstarnak, merchant and others

Our North division except for McDavid and drai didn't have much offensive challenge for us

Our goalies numbers looks much better for the same reason. Another reason why I am not sold on our goalies especially Campbell

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Pretty much everyone thought they had at least a run to the final four. There is no way they can sell in that position.

Yea, I get it. Even the other years, after Game 7 losses it's pretty hard to intentionally step back.

That said, they better decide on Reilly quickly, because no one thinks they're Cup contenders this season.

Last edited:
Reactions: ACC1224

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
yes...and the Leafs didn't.

I'm willing to give them a pass on losing Hyman, because this was definitely the season to take a shot. The other seasons? Probably should have moved a couple of the pending ufa's

who are these imaginary UFA we had available for trade since dubas took over ?
according to wiki he took over summer 2018 ... jvr and bozak left that year and i could not find 1 pending UFA since that left ............

Are people just making shit up or if google wrong ?

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
according to wiki he took over summer 2018 ... jvr and bozak left that year and i could not find 1 pending UFA since that left ............

With minimal effort, google returned Hainsey & Gardiner. Not going to bother looking further.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
No mistakes. Missed out on a few players I wanted. If he gets Tatar, then it'll be an A.

Tomas Tatar played in only 5 of Montreal's 22 playoff games and was a healthy scratch throughout almost the entire playoffs, including against our Leafs so Habs could play their own kids instead.

Hopefully Dubas noticed that Tatar was up in the team pressbox, where he was during the Leafs/Canadiens playoff round.

Shouldn't our Leafs be looking for players that can put them over the top in the playoffs as opposed to sit in the pressbox come playoff time?

I'd personally be looking for playoff warriors not playoff watchers. :wg:

Last edited:

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Point is that if rosters like that can go on a run - whatever you think of the Leafs roster as constructed - it's not lightyears away as some would have you believe.

maybe it’s rosters like that, that are more successful in the playoffs.

ours certainly hasn’t been.

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
With minimal effort, google returned Hainsey & Gardiner. Not going to bother looking further.

seriously these are the 2 guys people are complaining about ?
sure makes sence lets go into the playoffs with ozighanov in our top 4, that will work wonders.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
seriously these are the 2 guys people are complaining about ?
sure makes sence lets go into the playoffs with ozighanov in our top 4, that will work wonders.

First there weren't any. Once proven wrong, we move to the rationalization phase. :laugh:

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
First there weren't any. Once proven wrong, we move to the rationalization phase. :laugh:

its that how these board work ?lol
either way only fringe or non playoff teams ever sell assets ... what exactly are people expecting ? you cant play hindsight 20-20 3 years later when the team is in the mix.

Reactions: Havoc

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The Leafs stopped selling free agent assets the summer they drafted Matthews. A consistent trend from one management group to the next

Certainly debatable in hindsight, though seems hardly outside of the norm for most NHL teams.

Reactions: aingefan and Havoc

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
its that how these board work ?lol
either way only fringe or non playoff teams ever sell assets ... what exactly are people expecting ? you cant play hindsight 20-20 3 years later when the team is in the mix.

It's a tough call most times.

What would you do regarding Reilly?

Reactions: Havoc

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
It's a tough call most times.

What would you do regarding Reilly?

not that though considering it almost never happens :)

i mean i think the leafs can cope without him so i would trade him but you run into 3 problems.
1- non contending teams wont trade for a UFA.
2- most contending teams have no cap at the start of the season for this trade. So are you taking back a 2 to 3 mil contract which negates the whole point of the trade which was to gain cap for a winger.
3- your not getting a top 4 guy back so you need to be 100% sure sandin is ready to go .

either way this isnt ever happening, leafs will easily be top 3 in division heading into this years trade deadline and wont be trading him.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
not that though considering it almost never happens :)

i mean i think the leafs can cope without him so i would trade him but you run into 3 problems.
1- non contending teams wont trade for a UFA.
2- most contending teams have no cap at the start of the season for this trade. So are you taking back a 2 to 3 mil contract which negates the whole point of the trade which was to gain cap for a winger.
3- your not getting a top 4 guy back so you need to be 100% sure sandin is ready to go .

either way this isnt ever happening, leafs will easily be top 3 in division heading into this years trade deadline and wont be trading him.

If I know I can't sign him or I want to move on, I move him yesterday after seeing what CBJ got in return for Jones. A package of a young dman (Drysdale/Byram/Sanderson + a $1st) would do it for me.

Bluebear

Nov 30, 2018

Oilers picked up the Top scoring D man in the league as a UFA Tyson Barrie, who the Leafs kept as an own rental even though it was obvious they were too crappy to win a cup....

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
If I know I can't sign him or I want to move on, I move him yesterday after seeing what CBJ got in return for Jones. A package of a young dman (Drysdale/Byram/Sanderson + a $1st) would do it for me.

Which is the correct answer.

Reactions: ToneDog

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Oilers picked up the Top scoring D man in the league as a UFA Tyson Barrie, who the Leafs kept as an own rental even though it was obvious they were too crappy to win a cup....

He was only here for one season, when did you propose trading him?

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006

why would a rebuilding team trade their coveted defensive prospect ??
as for byram i dont see colorado pulling the trigger. They need the cost effective ELC contracts come next year

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
why would a rebuilding team trade their coveted defensive prospect ??
as for byram i dont see colorado pulling the trigger. They need the cost effective ELC contracts come next year

To get a young, established top 2 dman ? Stan Bowman just included Boqvist in the package for Jones.

Reactions: egd27

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
To get a young, established top 2 dman ? Stan Bowman just included Boqvist in the package for Jones.

because jones is like a top 10 dman in the league and does everything. hes 25 and signed for 8 years which needed the whole sign and trade thing from CBJ.
none of those are true for reilly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad