Please, do not boo Babcock!

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Trust me, Babcock does not care if fans boo him. If anything, he'd respect the love we have for our players.

Professionals don't get offended by boos, they get motivated.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
I'll be at the game and I can tell you this: I couldn't care less for Babcock, but I'll cheer loudly for Subban and I'm sure he'll have a heck of a game.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
I don't even care for Babcock, and was not impressed after watching 24/7, and found him to be overrated as a coach. However, at the end of the day, he did win Gold, and nobody can boo him for that.

I dunno man, the guy clearly gets it and ran that team about as well as you could ask for. He understands what wins hockey games and ran Team Canada accordingly, would much rather a coach like Babcock than Therrien or pretty much anyone else.

Of course you weren't impressed from 24/7, they didn't let the cameras see anything important. They condensed 15 minute intermissions down into a couple cliche pep talks, anything of substance was left out.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
No question that Babcock is a great coach.

Playing Hamhuis over PK is highly controversial, but thats because Babcock doesn't like to take any risk and thus why he has been successful. He is a coach that likes to play it safe and doesn't carry emotional decisions. He prefers a solid D core and doesn't want a D that will push up the offense but could make a bad defensive play and cost a very important goal.

I don't think PK has real defensive issues but if they are 15% doubt in Babcock's mind he won't go with it.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Hey guys,

First, I would like to congratulate Team Canada on our Olympic Gold! Let's be real here, none was actually questioning whether we would win it...eh?. Secondly, I would like to plead with my fellow Canadiens fans not too boo Babcock. Besides the fact that he just won us an olympic gold medal (who boos a coach who just won your country gold?), none could actually blame him for the Subban decision. Take off your Montreal Canadiens glasses and look at this objectively. In all reality, he was going in to the tournament as the 7th Defencemen. Babcock was just given this team and we should not boo for it. I do not think Subban was a bad pick for this olympic tournament but in comparison to what others on this team brought, I don't see who else they could have benched. But please, do not boo a coach who just won our country a Gold medal!

Why would somebody boo Babcock?

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
He prefers a solid D core and doesn't want a D that will push up the offense but could make a bad defensive play and cost a very important goal.

Not really. His teams are about sustained attack and pressure. Subban would have fit in well but was a perceived risk, I disagree with it but if he had team Canada for 82 games I doubt Subban would be a scratch for very long. The other bit is that Bouwmeester-Pietrangelo were Hitchcock's guys so they weren't moving, and Bouwmeester is really the only guy there that is clearly an inferior player to Subban.

Quote post gold medal game:

“The first thing I guard against is you talk about great defence, sometimes we get confused. Great defence means you play fast and you have the puck all the time so you’re always on offence. We out-chanced these teams big time, we didn’t score. We were a great offensive team. That’s how we coached. That’s what we expected. We didn’t ask guys to back up.”

It's true in hockey that defense wins championships but not in the way that is usually implied. In hockey the best defense is a good and smothering offense, nobody else had the puck long enough that they could successfully mount an attack. They didn't sit back and play "solid" D, the defense was so good because they so rarely were actually defending against the other team.

This is why guys like Subban are more valuable than your "stay at home" types. I would have rather seen Subban in the lineup over Hamhuis but Subban is perceived as being too much of a risk so it is what it is. I have a hard time believing a possession coach like Babcock doesn't appreciate Subban's game, but I can get keeping him off the ice in a 7 game tournament where the difference between Bouwmeester and Subban doesn't really show up.

Last edited:

Monster1974

Feb 9, 2014
I would boo Babcock in a heartbeat. Winning like Subban is like winning without Crosby: it's very do-able with that kind of depth. Having guys like Hamhuis, Vlasic & Bouwmeester playing ahead of him was a total joke.

I hope PK plays a dominan 30 mins tonight, gets 1G-2A, and hurts somebody on the Wings with a blast while on the PP...

Want me to tell you how I really feel?

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
I wouldn't boo Babcock but if you want to voice your displeasure with him, I think cheering on PK more than usual would do the trick in getting the point over.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
The Montreal Canadiens will welcome the gold-winning male and female hockey players before tomorrow's game.

windycity

Sep 30, 2003
Well duh
Visit site
Normally I would think Babcock would get a nice standing ovation.. but this is Montreal... so chances of that happening are slim..

There will be some morons who will boo.. mostly because their whiners and didn't get to see Subban play a regular shift. Looking at how our defense faired, I could care less about that decision. If our defense was poor and he still continued to bench Subban, I could see the boos being justified. He coached Team Canada flawlessly and deserves to atleast not get booed.

You are so wrong, he could have won the Gold medal game 4-0 or even 5-0!

:sarcasm:

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Boo him. Who cares? Boo anyone. Boo Selanne even. Too many enjoy playing in the Bell Centre. It should be giving the opposition emotional breakdowns, not highlight moments. No fear for anyone playing in the Bell Centre, especially since the team ends up getting booed more than the opposition.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
There will be a mixed reaction, just like it would be in any other canadian market if subban played anywhere else. I can assure you it wont hurt babcock's feelings. If anything, he might get a chuckle out of it.

This would be nothing more than media fodder and something for message board fanatics to complain about. The players/coaches will be fine.

feds91

May 17, 2004
I'll be at that game. No Datsyuk, no Zetterberg, no Franzon. We better win!!! And no, I will not boo Babcock. I am not 12 years old. :nod:

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
Hey guys,

First, I would like to congratulate Team Canada on our Olympic Gold! Let's be real here, none was actually questioning whether we would win it...eh?. Secondly, I would like to plead with my fellow Canadiens fans not too boo Babcock. Besides the fact that he just won us an olympic gold medal (who boos a coach who just won your country gold?), none could actually blame him for the Subban decision. Take off your Montreal Canadiens glasses and look at this objectively. In all reality, he was going in to the tournament as the 7th Defencemen. Babcock was just given this team and we should not boo for it. I do not think Subban was a bad pick for this olympic tournament but in comparison to what others on this team brought, I don't see who else they could have benched. But please, do not boo a coach who just won our country a Gold medal!

You barely beat USA 1-0 thanks to one Carey price standing on his head (a wee bit of a hyperbole).

None questioning?

Analyzer*

Booooooo. Take that Babcock.

Come at me, op.

I bet Babcock is questionable to coach now. His jimmies are surely rattled.

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009
Not that I would boo Babcock as he did help win a gold medal in men's hockey for the greatest nation in the world.
But the paying public has a right to boo anyone their heart desires
I don't agree with or condone what he did to Subban but again, I for one, would not boo. I would not stop John Q Public in any way shape way or form if they booed him all game long

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
:laugh: That would be funny.

After PK scores his 4th goal of the game he will do this to Babcock:

217294_10150547605785602_1367904_n.jpg

If PK ever scores 4 goals, the Bell Centre's gonna go dark.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
hahaha, who cares if Babcock of all people gets booed?

We all love PK and a lot of fans don't think he got a fair shake. I don't think it was fair but it didn't make me insanely angry.

Plus PK gets booed everywhere he goes. Sure as hell not going to get mad at our fanbase for booing that's sticking up for Subban.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad