Please, Chia, please gut this core.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
The really deplorable thing is, and depressing really, is that if you look at the roster now and how the players are playing guys like Pouliot and Purcell Gordon, Roy are/were much better forward additions than any of what Chia has brought in.

Too young prospects, Nurse, and Klef have looked better than the two D Chia brought in.

Letestu, korpi, Sekera have been pretty bad.

Chia brought in around 8 roster players. Again I can't think of one that has been a solid addition. I can think of several that have looked lousy. If you look at the Chia additions and net impact on the team it actually looks like a loss.

Without the out of this world efforts of plaeyrs like Hall and Drai and McDavid on this team this lineup is indescribably bad. Worse than what Eakins or Nelson had to work with

Pouliot has probably been the best, unheralded forward acquisition in the last several years. Other than the last 10 games, Purcell has been a waste of a roster spot. It is clear that he is playing for a contract at this point. Sadly, if he could be this guy 82 games a year, he would be a 'difference maker'.

Letestu, Korpi, and Sekera are as bad as NN, Fayne and Purcell (prior to this year). Reinhart will never be more than a number 6 D-man, yet Chia talks about him like he will be our next Jason Smith. I don't know who to blame for that one ... the ole boys club, or Chia himself.

Based on his performance to date, and knowing why Boston turfed him, I am not optimistic about our future.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Rep, its not the poor additions to these players that are problem. its THESE players!!!! At some point, you have to see this. THESE so called core players are just not that good.

Its both to me. This core needs some help if its going anywhere. Its not getting meaningful help that has been added.

Look at Pouliot, Purcell, Roy, Hendricks, Gordon. All forwards obtained by McT

ALL more helpful than Chias brainfart additions.

That's a bit sobering.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
I miss the EIG. I do. They were a timid, bizarre, malfunctioning, slightly ominous figurehead, it`s true. But under them, every season was life or death. Every season, it seemed, the Oilers had to put on a good show, or risk getting moved out of town. That was goddamned accountability, and it worked. Those teams were never world beaters, but goddamn did they try.
Katz doesn't care. He has his arena. This team could suck for the next twenty years and he wouldn't care. We have rued the day he bought this once proud franchise. He has done more damage to this team than any other single individual.
Team would be in Houston if EIG didn't sell the team. EIG ran Slats out of town and almost ran Lowe out of town. EIG wanted to fire Lowe unless he improved the team. EIG forced Lowe to the Offer Sheets.

McDeathbyCheerios*

That must be why we finished out of the bottom 3 of the league standings. Our strong bottom 6, to go along with the rest of our good team.

Oh wait. That didn't happen.

There are some REAL stupid people on this planet. Klink wouldn't even make most NHL rosters. Roy COULDN'T make any NHL rosters. Gordon is a 4th line forward. Yeah, those sure are the guys you win with...
If our bottom six had even average scoring we might have a few more wins true, that's not the big problem with the club though.

RNH and Eberle seem to only play the second half of the season.

Hall and Drai carried the offense for 10 games, so now that they aren't hot we have 0 offense. And it's not their fault either, they shouldn't be relied on to carry 100% of the offense.

Outside of Hall and Drai, Purcell is our best forward.

Hendricks, Letetsu, Korpi is a good to great 4th line, problem is we have such garbage organizational forward depth that due to injuries that's our third line which doesn't work.

What this has shown is our drafting has been god awful and we don't have much.

Honestly if we could move Yak or Eberle for some depth forwards I would do it in a heartbeat.

Talking to a Habs fan they would be willing to move Eller, DSP and a 2nd for Yakupov. I would ****ing do that in heart beat, give us an actual 3 c and DSP is a good bottom six player.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Pouliot has probably been the best, unheralded forward acquisition in the last several years. Other than the last 10 games, Purcell has been a waste of a roster spot. It is clear that he is playing for a contract at this point. Sadly, if he could be this guy 82 games a year, he would be a 'difference maker'.

Letestu, Korpi, and Sekera are as bad as NN, Fayne and Purcell (prior to this year). Reinhart will never be more than a number 6 D-man, yet Chia talks about him like he will be our next Jason Smith. I don't know who to blame for that one ... the ole boys club, or Chia himself.

Based on his performance to date, and knowing why Boston turfed him, I am not optimistic about our future.

So you expected Chia to take a team that had NO depth, NO defense, and NO goaltending last year and finiished 3rd last in the league, into a playoff team in just ONE offseason? You do know how hard it is to get to UFAs to get to sign here, right? You do know that it is hard to pull off trades where you're not getting completely ripped off, right?

Have people completely lost touched with reality lately?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Its both to me. This core needs some help if its going anywhere. Its not getting meaningful help that has been added.

Look at Pouliot, Purcell, Roy, Hendricks, Gordon. All forwards obtained by McT

ALL more helpful than Chias brainfart additions.

That's a bit sobering.

Maybe the entire team is just garbage?

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Trade Hopkins, Eberle and our first rounder after this horrible season is over. Maybe we throw Yak in as a kicker with our 1st rounder.

Trade lander for future considerations
Buy out Ference
Send Reinhart to the minors
Let Gryba walk
Send Davidson to the minors

Hall - Drai - ?
Pouliot - Mcdavid ?
? - ? - Paka
Hendricks-? - Korp
Letesnu

Nurse - ?
Klefbom - ?
? - ?

McDeathbyCheerios*

Now most of that is a bunch of falses.

Hard to call Reinhart a bust when this is his second pro season, first NHL season. He isn't honestly ready for the NHL but that doesn't mean he is a bust.

Letetsu, Korpi and Sekera as bad as NN, Fayne and Purcell? What are you smoking.

Sekera had a bad start and has been good recently. Hard to get a good read on Korpi due to injury and you know, he is a 4th liner and same with Letetsu.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
so you are saying that the talbot, reinhart, and gryba trades have all worked out well then?
Add Sekera as well. Posters saying he's been fine must be smoking some premium product. Worse than Petry every day of the week which makes the move a downgrade. And Gryba apparently has surprised some with his ability to ummm, uhhh, not look as bad as Ference. :dunno:

We needed help on d in the worst way. Chiarelli brought in three guys who haven't helped very much at all. Throw in Talbot's shaky performances to date, and I agree with you, Replacement and others saying that the additions have been poor.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You mean pouliot, Roy and perron? MacT was garbage as a GM but don't act like he didn't have any positives

Then he dealt away Perron for zilch. Roy was a nice stopgap but he also came in when the team was already well out of it. Pouliot is decent at best.

orbiter11

Sep 11, 2014
Even Toronto managed to sign Winnick, Mattthais, Boyes and Grabner to play in there bottom six. I mean Chia needs time. You cant blame him for signing Sekera and even bringing in Talbot. What he gave up fpr Reinhart probably would have gotten the team a more established solid D man. I was down on that trade from the get go.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
You know we are at the end of our rope when MacT additions are getting praise.

People are starting to lose their minds, but so have I. I'm at the point where I think I'm completely done with this team. Too many years of Tambo and MacT have taken too much out of me, and I think it has for most of us.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Trade Hopkins, Eberle and our first rounder after this horrible season is over. Maybe we throw Yak in as a kicker with our 1st rounder.

Trade lander for future considerations
Buy out Ference
Send Reinhart to the minors
Let Gryba walk
Send Davidson to the minors

Hall - Drai - ?
Pouliot - Mcdavid ?
? - ? - Paka
Hendricks-? - Korp
Letesnu

Nurse - ?
Klefbom - ?
? - ?

Pakarinen on the 3rd line? Puke.. He's hardly an NHL'er.

McDeathbyCheerios*

So you expected Chia to take a team that had NO depth, NO defense, and NO goaltending last year and finiished 3rd last in the league, into a playoff team in just ONE offseason? You do know how hard it is to get to UFAs to get to sign here, right? You do know that it is hard to pull off trades where you're not getting completely ripped off, right?

Have people completely lost touched with reality lately?
Some people just go over the deep end.

He talks like Chia got canned cause he is horrible or something. He got canned cause he no longer agreed with upper management and was tired of having the puppet strings pulled on him

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Can't argue this.
I had hoped he could just be a complimentary goal scorer but it's hard to defend his effort with that letter on his chest. It sure would send a message if he were moved.

As an aside, my 13 year old son is in first year bantam.
When a defending player waves his stick at the player instead of taking the body and tries to avoid all contact my boy calls it an "Eberle stick check, you know, for softies."
:)

oh my. That's sobering that its so pronounced its got into the kids vernacular.

Plus he cheers for the Riders...;)

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
People are starting to lose their minds, but so have I. I'm at the point where I think I'm completely done with this team. Too many years of Tambo and MacT have taken too much out of me, and I think it has for most of us.

Just let the apathy settle in. It dulls the pain immensely.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
Team would be in Houston if EIG didn't sell the team. EIG ran Slats out of town and almost ran Lowe out of town. EIG wanted to fire Lowe unless he improved the team. EIG forced Lowe to the Offer Sheets.

Which kind of exactly reinforces what I`m saying, thank you. The EIG had a desperation for improvement, for winning, they had an ideology that nothing was sacred, and everything should be done to win. All in. And that resulted in a far better looking team than the circus Katz brought to town.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Luckily I probably don't have to even be saying this, because I don't think people are dumb enough to believe the crap that people are speaking to the contrary of what I'm saying.
Nice to see you come around, takes a little longer for some folks I understand. When I posted all that stuff three years ago you filled my pm box telling me to gtfo.

SaskOilers

Jan 6, 2009
Can't argue this.
I had hoped he could just be a complimentary goal scorer but it's hard to defend his effort with that letter on his chest. It sure would send a message if he were moved.

As an aside, my 13 year old son is in first year bantam.
When a defending player waves his stick at the player instead of taking the body and tries to avoid all contact my boy calls it an "Eberle stick check, you know, for softies."
:)

I saw no reason to slap an "A" on his jersey (or a few other Oilers for that matter), what has he ever done to deserve it? Look around the league, there are some damn good players that don't have the privilege of wearing a letter, and deservedly so. I thought when Ference was stripped that we should have handed the captaincy to Hendricks until further notice.

But then I ask myself if a letter even means anything on this team anymore...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad