Player Discussion: PLD

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
perhaps. although from what i've gathered from the Finnish folks on this forum Laine was putting in work, but seems like not the correct style of training/specialization? Not sure..... PLD thread though:deadhorse

that article is a bunch of fluff. how often do NHLers publicize why they want out? him dogging it on the ice for the CBJs & his teammates spoke volumes already. him putting in work in the off-season.... i mean i sure as hell hope so? he's a 23 YO old pro hockey player being paid 6.65M this season, and on top of that is due for a new contract. im sure he will play at his absolute best for the $$$.

He only dogged it after his head coach completely attacked his character and threw him under the bus infront of all the media.

I'd have a hard time being motivated and giving you shit in the same situation.

But yeah I'm glad he's worked hard and expect to see a very different player this year.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
He only dogged it after his head coach completely attacked his character and threw him under the bus infront of all the media.

I'd have a hard time being motivated and giving you shit in the same situation.

But yeah I'm glad he's worked hard and expect to see a very different player this year.
funny you were lamenting the jets acquiring him b/c of his effort, and how he quit on his team.... but now your tune has quite changed

maybe if a 5M+ dollar supposed star played better or wasn't mailing it in he wouldn't be getting called out? Torts is gonna do torts, PLD quit on CBJ.

Last edited:
Reactions: QuietContrarian

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
funny you were lamenting the jets acquiring him but now your tune has quite changed

maybe if a 5M+ dollar supposed star played better he wouldn't be getting called out? Torts is gonna do torts, PLD quit on CBJ.

I was lamenting them acquiring him for a Laine plus a big add like Perfetti type package. I was also arguing that in a vacuum neither he nor Laine were worth much more then the other.

PLD drives play much better but Laine historically scores more points which imo evened things out.

I wasn't happy with him dogging it originally but after seeing the Torts press conference I can totally understand why his play took a nose dive.

Anyhow since he became a Jet I looked much more into his past performance on the Jackets and I liked a lot of what I saw especially against TO in the playoffs. So yes I have changed my perspective on him as a player as I got more information on the player and the circumstances leading to him dogging it.

Also Torts called him out before the season even started. So he was railroaded by his org first and yeah he subsequently quit on them, i would as well after that. Players aren't robots as much as some would like them to be.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
that package was never a thing and lol ok. all i know is, it's funny how swiftly your tune changed prior to him being dealt vs now. from i didn't want him b/c of his past history of quitting on his team (ie: CBJ and in the Q). and like i said, if he didn't quit on his team he wouldn't have been called out.

I was lamenting them acquiring him for a Laine plus a big add like Perfetti type package. I was also arguing that in a vacuum neither he nor Laine were worth much more then the other.

PLD drives play much better but Laine historically scores more points which imo evened things out.

I wasn't happy with him dogging it originally but after seeing the Torts press conference I can totally understand why his play took a nose dive.

Anyhow since he became a Jet I looked much more into his past performance on the Jackets and I liked a lot of what I saw especially against TO in the playoffs. So yes I have changed my perspective on him as a player as I got more information on the player and the circumstances leading to him dogging it.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
that package was never a thing and lol ok. all i know is, it's funny how swiftly your tune changed prior to him being dealt vs now. from i didn't want him b/c of his past history of quitting on his team (ie: CBJ and in the Q). and like i said, if he didn't quit on his team he wouldn't have been called out.

He quit on his team after being called out not before.

Torts did his press conference where he made the situation untenable for the player before the puck was even dropped on the season.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
it's funny how swiftly your tune changed prior to him being dealt vs now

Intelligent people change their opinion when presented with new information all the time, it's an integral part of learning.

It would be concerning if you formed an opinion and then held those beliefs regardless of any new information presented.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
He quit on his team after being called out not before.

Torts did his press conference where he made the situation untenable for the player before the puck was even dropped on the season.
PLD was making a fuss prior to the first puck drop of the year talking about wanting a bigger stage and making a public trade request.

this isn't about trade value or laine vs pld..... the fact is you were making all these statements about how you didn't want to bring in a player mailing it in like PLD (based on both CBJ and his time in the Q), and how even teammates weren't happy with his play. but now all of a sudden he's a Jet and all is forgotten. perhaps objectivity doesn't compute for you.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
please cite what has changed from last off-season to now in terms of timeline w/ PLD requesting a trade.

Intelligent people change their opinion when presented with new information all the time, it's an integral part of learning.

It would be concerning if you formed an opinion and then held those beliefs regardless of any new information presented.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
PLD was making a fuss prior to the first puck drop of the year talking about wanting a bigger stage and making a public trade request.

this isn't about trade value or laine vs pld..... the fact is you were making all these statements about how you didn't want to bring in a player mailing it in like PLD (based on both CBJ and his time in the Q), and how even teammates weren't happy with his play. but now all of a sudden he's a Jet and all is forgotten. perhaps objectivity doesn't compute for you.

Maybe you have a reading comprehension problem. I flat out said I originally wasn't happy with him dogging it. I then did more research, thought about it more and changed my opinion on it.

You are free to maintain the same opinion that you had then but I've revised mine.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
please cite what has changed from last off-season to now in terms of timeline w/ PLD requesting a trade.

The information that the poster had before changing their opinion? They literally posted this 5 posts above....

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Maybe you have a reading comprehension problem. I flat out said I originally wasn't happy with him dogging it. I then did more research, thought about it more and changed my opinion on it.

You are free to maintain the same opinion that you had then but I've revised mine.
ok so what confounding research changed your opinion?
The information that the poster had before changing their opinion? They literally posted this 5 posts above....
that's not citing info

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015

I never saw any quotes from him about wanting a bigger stage. Do you have any links?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
ok so what confounding research changed your opinion?

that's not citing info

When the rumblings first started about him a good many of the proposals were based around a future package centered around Perfetti so that we could have Dubois play with Laine or at least that is what I recall. I was against it for a number of reasons.
  1. I view Cole as a potential franchise center so had no interest in moving him for a player who I viewed as having a lower ceiling
  2. I didn't know much about Dubois at the time outside of the few games I saw of him against the Jets and his performance at the WJHC (Which was mediocre) and him dogging it in his last game for the Blue Jackets.
So yes at that point in time my perspective on him was not very favorable. I remember being ok with him for Laine as Laine wanted out and I was growing tired of trying to defend Patrick around here.

Once the trade was made I went back and watched all of the press conferences by Torts on the matter and found the following:

Dubois wants to leave Blue Jackets, Tortorella says

This PC from before the season is where imo things turned for the the player and the org. From Tort's own mouth Dubois had a strong camp so to me it looks like he was prepared to come into the season to quietly go about his job until a trade could be fostered. Well Torts had to open his big mouth and put the spot light and media circus all on PLD right off the get go. Simply put the coach handled it unprofessionally and that seemed to make the situation much worse for all involved and thus began the feud where Dubois's play fell and Torts continued to escalate the matter in the media.

So after investigating that feud from the beginning I can now understand why he quit on his coach. Could he have handled it better possibly, but I think I would have had a very hard time being a professional with my coach throwing me under the bus, creating an us vs them culture in the room where I'm sure things weren't great between him and his teammates due to Torts whipping everyone into a frenzy and I am sure the added media pressure didn't help given that imo he is an introvert.

As for the players game:

I went back and watched his playoffs against TO and some other games I had taped, did a more in depth look at his stats (Possesion, scoring rates etc) and watched more highlights. I came away with a much greater appreciation of him as a player then I had before. I think his all around game and size and skill set when he's playing like he can will really help this team. Imo we have a decent amount of pure offensive producers but we need more in the way of possesion drivers that can also produce strong socirng results at 5 on 5 and that imo is what Dubois is as a player.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I never saw any quotes from him about wanting a bigger stage. Do you have any links?

sorry, not directly from him of course.

this was jan 4

Dubois wants to leave Blue Jackets, Tortorella says

This PC from before the season is where imo things turned for the the player and the org. From Tort's own mouth Dubois had a strong camp so to me it looks like he was prepared to come into the season to quietly go about his job until a trade could be fostered. Well Torts had to open his big mouth and put the spot light and media circus all on PLD right off the get go. Simply put the coach handled it unprofessionally and that seemed to make the situation much worse for all involved and thus began the feud where Dubois's play fell and Torts continued to escalate the matter in the media.

So after investigating that feud from the beginning I can now understand why he quit on his coach. Could he have handled it better possibly, but I think I would have had a very hard time being a professional with my coach throwing me under the bus, creating an us vs them culture in the room where I'm sure things weren't great between him and his teammates due to Torts whipping everyone into a frenzy and I am sure the added media pressure didn't help given that imo he is an introvert.

your article is old, this isn't new info. everyone knew this beforehand and it came out that he wanted a trade atleast 10 days prior. torts might have not handled it well for sure.

nevertheless, so Torts simply saying "ya he wants out" (when everyone basically knew already) is a legit reason for a pro-player being paid millions of dollars to mail it in and quit on his team? i believe it was bjorkstrand who was getting tired of PLD dogging it as well.

regardless, he mailed it in CBJ. I don't expect him to do that here (unless if he wants out i guess?).

Im not trying to shit on him (although fully aware it appears that way lol), was just commenting on the recent-article where they talk about the trade request. him mailing it in for CBJ is enough of a trade request.

edit

you can go back and re-read some of the posts yourself

this is after your posted-article btw.

Trade, FA, Rumour Thread

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2006

this was jan 4

your article is old, this isn't new info. everyone knew this beforehand and it came out that he wanted a trade atleast 10 days prior. torts might have not handled it well for sure.

nevertheless, so Torts simply saying "ya he wants out" (when everyone basically knew already) is a legit reason for a pro-player being paid millions of dollars to mail it in and quit on his team? i believe it was bjorkstrand who was getting tired of PLD dogging it as well.

regardless, he mailed it in CBJ. I don't expect him to do that here (unless if he wants out i guess?).

Im not trying to shit on him (although fully aware it appears that way lol), was just commenting on the recent-article where they talk about the trade request. him mailing it in for CBJ is enough of a trade request.

edit

Trade, FA, Rumour Thread

Why not just let it go?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

this was jan 4

edit

Trade, FA, Rumour Thread

Honestly what are you trying to prove here. I have stated clearly I didn't like things about it and the player then but have revised my opinion. I'm not going back and analyzing exactly what I said.

I'm not going to discuss this anymore but if all you took from that interview was a confirmation of him wanting out then you are missing a tonne of us vs. Them subtext in his other comments and how he trys to pressure PLD to come out and tell everyone why he wants out essentially painting him as the bad guy or rallying cry for the rest of the Bluejackets to band together as a team.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Honestly what are you trying to prove here. I have stated clearly I didn't like things about it and the player then but have revised my opinion. I'm not going back and analyzing exactly what I said.

I'm not going to discuss this anymore but if all you took from that interview was a confirmation of him wanting out then you are missing a tonne of us vs. Them subtext in his other comments and how he trys to pressure PLD to come out and tell everyone why he wants out essentially painting him as the bad guy or rallying cry for the rest of the Bluejackets to band together as a team.

ok cool :thumbu:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Its a complicated situation. PLD's drama was front loaded in Columbus...... Laine's was lighter in Winnipeg (his agent felt it might be best if he moved on) but then his drama heightened after the trade. Laine seemed to clash with the coach"es," multiple benching's, and some rumblings from CBJ players about Pate after the season (according to their Athletic reporter). Then a pretty frustrated Laine at the end of the season and some comments to the tabloid press in Finland that once again allegedly might be a bit out of context. On the home front PLD did not deliver full stop. I don't think there were problems with the coaches and teammates but none the less he faded to black on the ice by the end of the playoffs.

Both players have got it done in the NHL at young ages but not last season and they both have a lot to prove this season so we shall see how it plays out.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
All i know is hearing a player has busted his ass all summer because he wants to get better is nothing but a good thing. :nod:

Pretty sure Laine busted his ass after this meal. :nod:

cut.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: