Player Discussion: PLD

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Is pld playing much better then little would of if he was healthy ??

As of now we have not won the trade. Let’s see how he performs in the playoffs as the first step.
he's probably around the same. but PLD has much higher upside imo

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
I was all for having PLD center Ehlers and Connor but now I see him lost between two players whose style are very similar. PLD needs a play making winger. Maybe move Connor back to the scheifele and Wheeler line and have Stastny move to center and pld play win with ehlers on the other side?

Reactions: sipowicz and DRW204

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
maybe, but if he's unable to adapt to different set of linemates.... that's kind of a problem.

he should be used to not having the puck often, guy played with panarin who always rushes up ice w/ the puck on his stick and sets players up in the offensive zone.
...or, as another member said, people are looking and brief stretches of mediocre play and exclaiming that the sky is falling. I'm merely suggesting that further line-juggling could still be beneficial. But at the end of the day he will be just fine.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Another solid game defensively for PLD, multi good plays in the game defensively especially. Still finding his chemistry offensively, the good thing about PLD is he helps the team win without scoring a point. Also threw a couple nice hits. Interesting comments about PMO saying maybe putting Stats back to the 2nd line wing. I think that would mean KC back up to the top line, not sure I love that as much.......but Ehlers is better on RW then LW IMO so I get that trade off.

Reactions: hn777 and surixon

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Has such a blockbuster trade ever had such lack luster results? Lol

Is it possible Laine needs a lot of support (obvious) and maybe pld needs to be the man? Not used to having so much support and not having to carry the team?

PaulPooley

Nov 18, 2018
Regardless of what linemate switches end up happening, I feel like PLD is going to just explode one of these days.

Reactions: GNP

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I'd really like to see PLD with Copp and Ehlers - I wonder if he isn't overplaying the D side of his game to compensate for KC's horrendous backchecking

That being said, Im not sure where to put Connor - CSW is great on the powerplay but terrifying 5v5

Nice problem to have

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I'd really like to see PLD with Copp and Ehlers - I wonder if he isn't overplaying the D side of his game to compensate for KC's horrendous backchecking

That being said, Im not sure where to put Connor - CSW is great on the powerplay but terrifying 5v5

Nice problem to have
Kc is good at back checking and I bet if u measure take away has more steals than eels. Bad at set d in terms of positioning, and breakouts but I’m getting sidetracked again but so are you.

Reactions: WolfHouse

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Kc is good at back checking and I bet if u measure take away has more steals than eels. Bad at set d in terms of positioning, and breakouts but I’m getting sidetracked again but so are you.
To me, PLD seems like a Lowry with scoring touch... I mean if there's no politics in roster decisions - put him with MattyP and Apples - they probably light it up

CSW
Copp-Stats-Ehlers
MattyP-PLD-Apples
Harkins-Lowry-Lewis

That's three scoring lines and a checking line

Reactions: hn777 and ocdaddy

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
To me, PLD seems like a Lowry with scoring touch... I mean if there's no politics in roster decisions - put him with MattyP and Apples - they probably light it up

CSW
Copp-Stats-Ehlers
MattyP-PLD-Apples
Harkins-Lowry-Lewis

That's three scoring lines and a checking line

The Jets are only 8-2-1 in the last 11. Probably should change every line.

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
Still like to see Wheeler and Ehlers switched, atleast for a few games. Kinda reward to Ehlers for playing great and maybe PLD will feel more of a comfort level with a vet like Wheels on his wing.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Still like to see Wheeler and Ehlers switched, atleast for a few games. Kinda reward to Ehlers for playing great and maybe PLD will feel more of a comfort level with a vet like Wheels on his wing.
Get Ehlers on PP1 and move Scheif over to stats spot

leer2006

Jan 20, 2010
Transcona
That actually isn’t a bad idea. Tell Wheeler he’s going to the 2nd line to help to get PLD going and it’s it a demotion.

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
That actually isn’t a bad idea. Tell Wheeler he’s going to the 2nd line to help to get PLD going and it’s it a demotion.
Not to mention youve got two 35 year olds(one soon to be anyways) on your "top" line playing the most minutes with Scheifele. Giving Wheeler less time might keep him fresher and putting Ehlers up will give Scheifele another guy to fly around with.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Not to mention youve got two 35 year olds(one soon to be anyways) on your "top" line playing the most minutes with Scheifele. Giving Wheeler less time might keep him fresher and putting Ehlers up will give Scheifele another guy to fly around with.

Yep. And a “top line” that The Athletic has ranked as something like 25th in the league. Maybe a nudge is in order to keep things fresh for the PO run.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Since the Stastny-Scheifele-Wheeler line was created they are:

Corsi: 51.55%

xGoals: 57.24%

and have outscored teams 5-2 when on the ice together at 5v5.

And basically all their games have been against the Leafs and the Habs so it's not like they are boosting those numbers against bad teams.

Under no circumstances should Maurice even consider touching that line. They have got a good thing going and Stastny is a good fit with Scheifele/Wheeler who adds directness and defensive support to that line.

These guys are professionals not a kids league where guys need to be rewarded by being moved to different spots in the lineup.

I like PLD with Ehlers and Connor for now. Any struggles they have should be worked out by them and should not touch the top line that is playing well.

backwards motion

Sep 29, 2017
Can I ask a small summary from someone who can watch games (so pretty much every fan in Winnipeg, here in Europe, not that much), haven't really been able to watch lately? How does PLD look like? It's really great that Jets are doing pretty pretty well. It's not a new thing that the team should be good, I can really see you guys be in the mix when the playoffs start.

Reactions: GNP

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Well then that shouldn’t be hard for pld. Pld plays D and Laine disappeared for games at time when he didn’t score and provided less overall impact on the Jets. Roslo was getting replaced in house with emergence of Appleton.
To me that is the biggest differentiator already for PLD in his short time here. "When you're not scoring, are you contributing to team success or are you dragging the team?" . Also, with no evidence of this *just a gut feeling* I think team chemistry is much improved since we made the swap. That probably has a bit to do with Jack too. I feel like the bulk of the players on our team are happy/ proud to be on this team and having teammates who don't want to be here can really cause some issues.

Reactions: ps241 and surixon

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Would like to see one of the finesse wingers switched out with a lunch pale guy on the PLD line. Maybe Copp or Apples.

I'm not sure the chemistry is right on that line right now.

It's worth a try anyway IMO.
Yeah I'm not thrilled with Ehlers and Connor on that line together, I think that has more to do with it than PLD TBH.

Connor needs to be kick started and we all know that putting him back with 55 and 26 should do that. I'd actually throw Appleton on that line with Ehlers and PLD - a couple of big bodies and the fly. Ehlers gets us possession in the offensive zone through sick entries, PLD and Appleton can grind out along the walls, Appleton goes to the net hard and Ehlers gets some room to use that laser. Could be very effective.

Then you can look at putting Stasny with Copp and Lowry. I think that line would obviously give you a good matchup against the other team's top line, and could be one of the better producing 3rd lines.

Reactions: JetsUK

ocdaddy

Nov 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Yeah I'm not thrilled with Ehlers and Connor on that line together, I think that has more to do with it than PLD TBH.

Connor needs to be kick started and we all know that putting him back with 55 and 26 should do that. I'd actually throw Appleton on that line with Ehlers and PLD - a couple of big bodies and the fly. Ehlers gets us possession in the offensive zone through sick entries, PLD and Appleton can grind out along the walls, Appleton goes to the net hard and Ehlers gets some room to use that laser. Could be very effective.

Then you can look at putting Stasny with Copp and Lowry. I think that line would obviously give you a good matchup against the other team's top line, and could be one of the better producing 3rd lines.
Sounds good to me. To take it a step further, will you be more likely to sign Copp if he gets the top 6 minutes? Has he paid his dues more so than Apples.

I think Stats, possibly in the twilight of his career, would have no issues on the 3rd line; especially if the team is winning.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Sounds good to me. To take it a step further, will you be more likely to sign Copp if he gets the top 6 minutes? Has he paid his dues more so than Apples.

I think Stats, possibly in the twilight of his career, would have no issues on the 3rd line; especially if the team is winning.
I think we are going to lose Copp to be honest. On a normal team he'd be top 6 but I just don't think he has the offensive finish to stick there with this group. He'll probably get the $$$ and role he wants with another team that we can't provide.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I think we are going to lose Copp to be honest. On a normal team he'd be top 6 but I just don't think he has the offensive finish to stick there with this group. He'll probably get the $$$ and role he wants with another team that we can't provide.
On a related note, I'd say that his play has been about 9th out of our top nine forwards the past little while. He scored a lot of points early this year against weak competition, and he got a goal and an assist against Toronto recently, but he's missing more and more glorious chances. I'm also noticing Lowry and Appleton far more than him when that third line is humming. I don't want to be too hard on him because his overall numbers aren't bad, though.

Reactions: Jet
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad