Player Discussion: PLD

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
he's been a bit unimpressive lately. he obviously has talent and size, but not much happening at 5v5 or on the pp. he's been great at 3v3. if the most glowing takeaway has been physicality along the boards, i think that's a bit concerning for a top6fwd who's supposed to be one of the best young Cs in the league, and a player we acquired for a laine+roslovic package.

Reactions: hn777

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
he's been a bit unimpressive lately. he obviously has talent and size, but not much happening at 5v5 or on the pp. he's been great at 3v3. if the most glowing takeaway has been physicality along the boards, i think that's a bit concerning for a top6fwd who's supposed to be one of the best young Cs in the league, and a player we acquired for a laine+roslovic package.
Right now I wouldn't even qualify him at 6M. But, thankfully he's got one more season to prove himself. I'm not worried yet.

Reactions: hn777 and KB1971

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Right now I wouldn't even qualify him at 6M. But, thankfully he's got one more season to prove himself. I'm not worried yet.
no definitely not. he's had an injury, the whole quarantine stuff.

he's played 10 games here.
5 pts came in 2 games, 1 goal in his past 6 (and the rest of the 8 games combined evidently)

not enough GP to make any leaping conclusions imo. but just speaking on his game as of late.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

Given what we gave up, I'm still waiting to see more from PLD. And maybe this is just me, but I will not look at this trade as a win for the Jets just because Laine is sucking in Columbus. I'm looking at it as to how Laine was playing and producing in Winnipeg. We gave up L + R for PLD, not L playing poorly in the future + R for PLD.

And of course it will take time to adjust to systems and who you are playing with. The upside is we have him this season and next , and maybe next season will be a real season with proper practice times and days off etc. so he can fully adjust and fit in.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Given what we gave up, I'm still waiting to see more from PLD. And maybe this is just me, but I will not look at this trade as a win for the Jets just because Laine is sucking in Columbus. I'm looking at it as to how Laine was playing and producing in Winnipeg. We gave up L + R for PLD, not L playing poorly in the future + R for PLD.

And of course it will take time to adjust to systems and who you are playing with. The upside is we have him this season and next , and maybe next season will be a real season with proper practice times and days off etc. so he can fully adjust and fit in.
Well then that shouldn’t be hard for pld. Pld plays D and Laine disappeared for games at time when he didn’t score and provided less overall impact on the Jets. Roslo was getting replaced in house with emergence of Appleton.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Well then that shouldn’t be hard for pld. Pld plays D and Laine disappeared for games at time when he didn’t score and provided less overall impact on the Jets. Roslo was getting replaced in house with emergence of Appleton.
There's always been this weird narrative that Dubois is good defensively but I haven't seen it here and prior to the NHL there were lots of questions if he could play center at the top level because of his defensive game. A lot of fans in Columbus didn't seem to think he's good defensively either. I wonder how much of that narrative came from Dubois playing in a Torts system making him look better than he actually is defensively.

I'll never understand the logic of saying Appleton replaced Roslovic. It wasn't one or the other, we could have had them both, now we have one. Appleton didn't replace Roslovic because if Roslovic was still here they'd both be in the lineup. Thompson or Lewis replaced Roslovic, and I know who I'd rather have in the lineup between Thompson and Roslovic.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
PLDs D game is becoming a bit overrated. He was below average in a V good Columbus system

And we could have had both roslovic and Appleton. So it's not one or the other. I wasn't the biggest roslovic fan during his time as a Jet. I thought he was a fair bottom 6 scorer (and the stats and production back this up during his time as a Jet).

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
There's always been this weird narrative that Dubois is good defensively but I haven't seen it here and prior to the NHL there were lots of questions if he could play center at the top level because of his defensive game. A lot of fans in Columbus didn't seem to think he's good defensively either. I wonder how much of that narrative came from Dubois playing in a Torts system making him look better than he actually is defensively.

I'll never understand the logic of saying Appleton replaced Roslovic. It wasn't one or the other, we could have had them both, now we have one. Appleton didn't replace Roslovic because if Roslovic was still here they'd both be in the lineup. Thompson or Lewis replaced Roslovic, and I know who I'd rather have in the lineup between Thompson and Roslovic.
Dubois may not be great defensively compared to Laine he looks like a selke winner. You really think Mo would have both Apple and Roslo in over Lewis and Thompson? I think I’m more of a realist thinking like Harkins Apple would also be scratched for Thompson.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005

You can't have them both when one guy doesn't want to be here and wants to be a top line player and he isn't

Roslovic is still the same guy that looks good for a few games and gives you hope then disappears. He doesn't do anything good enough without the puck to warrant keeping him in the top 6 of a team. He is gone and replaced by a cheaper player who is out performing him and can kill penalties for us. Its a win because we have the player we need in the lineup and not the player that we are hoping some day gets it

On Dubois. He very much is like Schief and ideally he has wingers that can support his down low cycle game. So far it his 2 linemates are a mixed bag but they do seem to be getting the idea if they support him when he either has the puck or is close to the puck it will come to them. Its why Schiefs line is doing well because both Wheeler and Stastny know how good Scheif is at getting and keeping the puck and then making a play to a supporting winger.

Reactions: Jets 31 and GNP

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
PLDs D game is becoming a bit overrated. He was below average in a V good Columbus system

And we could have had both roslovic and Appleton. So it's not one or the other. I wasn't the biggest roslovic fan during his time as a Jet. I thought he was a fair bottom 6 scorer (and the stats and production back this up during his time as a Jet).
Pld doesn’t need to be great defensively to be much better than Laine in that area.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Pld doesn’t need to be great defensively to be much better than Laine in that area.
I mean is he even good? I didn't watch enough of him last year as a jacket to have a qualified opinion. But stats guys and analysts are saying he's quite below average and the system props him up. I haven't seen anything as a Jet to back him up more than average right now. Better than Laine I mean that's not that hard lol.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I mean is he even good? I didn't watch enough of him last year as a jacket to have a qualified opinion. But stats guys and analysts are saying he's quite below average and the system props him up.
And where do you put Laine’s defensively?

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Being better than Laine defensively is an extremely low bar.
Yep but when we are missing Laine and what he brought. Also in a trade for Laine. Laine doesn’t drive play, his scoring disappeared for months so what could we really get for him even if we assume pld is mediocre. Mediocre still seems like a win.
Why should someone give us a top pairing D for that.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Yep but when we are missing Laine and what he brought. Also in a trade for Laine. Laine doesn’t drive play, his scoring disappeared for months so what could we really get for him even if we assume pld is mediocre. Mediocre still seems like a win.
Why should someone give us a top pairing D for that.

ok? why are we talking about top pair D? Point is we got a supposed top young C in the league and has not performed like that minus 2 games. Laine was always still a PP weapon even if he wasn't scoring (it opened up goals for Scheifele). PLDs stats in CBJ were close to Scheifele's at 5v5 hockey and i thought he could get a boost in his PP numbers being on the Jets PP. I don't think he's performed well so far and given the hype.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
ok? why are we talking about top pair D? Point is we got a supposed top young C in the league and has not performed like that minus 2 games. Laine was always still a PP weapon even if he wasn't scoring (it opened up goals for Scheifele). PLDs stats in CBJ were close to Scheifele's at 5v5 hockey and i thought he could get a boost in his PP numbers being on the Jets PP. I don't think he's performed well so far and given the hype.
Ppl were talking bout trading Laine for a d.
Maybe pld will still get better but so what we lost a pp weapon. 1 small part of the game for an improvement in line driving, and better d. If he is only what is now. Still seems like a win of a trade.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

He has not but imo a learning curve and an adjustment period was to be expected. This is especially true this year where he had to sit for two weeks and where there is very limited practice time.

I always expected it would take him a good 20 plus gamed in these circumstances to really get comfortable and assert himself.

I'm not at all concerned.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Ppl were talking bout trading Laine for a d.
Maybe pld will still get better but so what we lost a pp weapon. 1 small part of the game for an improvement in line driving, and better d. If he is only what is now. Still seems like a win of a trade.

what line driving? he's worst among Jets Fwds in CF% (that's with playing quite a bit with Ehlers our best Fwd in shot-share) and 2nd worst in GF% (only Wheeler is worse ofc).

while he's on the ice: the Jets give up the highest rate of Shot-Attempts against among all of our fwds. His quality per shot attempt against (xGA/CA) is 7th, so basically average. Playing with Wheeler & Connor doesn't help but thought he was supposed to be a line-driver?

im fan of his but his play-to-date has been sub-par as a Jet (again: 10 games, quarantine, injury, new team....not writing him off at all)

and yes Laine was great on the PP. i think we underrate PP a bit, a PP goal is still = a goal on the board. Laine was below average at 5v5, but on the PP he's one of the greatest weapons in the league. PLD has been good in 3v3 though.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
He has not but imo a learning curve and an adjustment period was to be expected. This is especially true this year where he had to sit for two weeks and where there is very limited practice time.

I always expected it would take him a good 20 plus gamed in these circumstances to really get comfortable and assert himself.

i've said this about three times now..... i understand he's had an extraordinary start: Quarantine, injury etc. but given the hype he's been a let-down so far

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

agreed. from analysts i have read, his defensive acumen gets propped up a lot b/c of torts system last year where CBJ was one of the best teams in limiting quality chances against. he's better than laine yes, but i mean, who isn't lol.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
i've said this about three times now..... i understand he's had an extraordinary start: Quarantine, injury etc. but given the hype he's been a let-down so far

Fair enough.

There is a reason I never get too excited about rentals. They very rarely hit the ground running and tend to disappoint.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012

Completely agree; folks are way too impatient and inclined to react in the moment rather than project into the future, based on his larger volume of work and natural assets.

We have ourselves a young*, strong*, quick*, adaptable* center*, who is likely to be here for a decade* ( * = advantages over Laine, some bigger than others).

Who cares about 5 or 10 games on a new team? In Columbus, he led the team offensively as a 21 yo, even after the loss of Panarin. League-wide last season, he ranked 11th in expected goal percentage during the regular season (per Natural Stat Trick, Cs with at least 900 5v5 minutes), one behind Elias Pettersson and ahead of Barzal, and many other very good or great young Cs. He then earned a point on nearly 40% of Columbus' goals in the postseason.

Like lots of young stars, including Laine, he will be streaky, but if he stays healthy the medium term results will satisfy all the doubts. I just hope he doesn't break out so soon that he breaks the bank.

Last edited:

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I don't think there's any chemistry with his line-mates. They keep the puck often far too long, and he rarely touches it. Like I said, time to put Statsny with him.

Reactions: GaryPoppins

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I don't think there's any chemistry with his line-mates. They keep the puck often far too long, and he rarely touches it. Like I said, time to put Statsny with him.
maybe, but if he's unable to adapt to different set of linemates.... that's kind of a problem.

he should be used to not having the puck often, guy played with panarin who always rushes up ice w/ the puck on his stick and sets players up in the offensive zone.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Is pld playing much better then little would of if he was healthy ??

As of now we have not won the trade. Let’s see how he performs in the playoffs as the first step.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad