Confirmed with Link: PLD 1 year 6 Million(accepted qualifying offer)

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Or how about the offseason after the Jets went to the WCF in 2018? With the window wide open, and having just lost Stastny, Armia and Enstrom...Chevy did nothing. Then after losing Myers, Chiarot and Tanev in 2019, Chevy brought in...Bitetto and Sbisa? Ok, well that didn't work so finally in 2020, with Buff officially gone, he finally...didn't bring in any significant defensive help. Not until last year - the summer of 2021 - did he finally move to bring in a couple of guys who were actual NHL defensemen.

And that's not even considering that he did nothing to replace solid bottom-6ers like Tanev and Armia. What was the plan there? Letestu? Jesus Christ :shakehead

At least he replaced Stastny with, uh, Stastny 2 years later. Wtg...

The 2017-18 team got hollowed out and Chevy did f*** all for 3 full offseasons. But yeah, kudos on the Laine+Roslovic for PLD deal. How's that going?
Agreed on all counts.

Should have probably lost his job after 2019. Especially since he refused to do anything about the coach.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
I agree with ya by the way. I just don't see them having the stomach to trade him if they are in or close to a playoff spot.

I'd ship out as soon as I got the right price regardless.
Exactly. Treat the situation like they did with Copp. Commit to selling high on him, get something back that you can insert into your lineup as well as solid pieces for the future.

If your team is as good as you believe, they will rally and still find a way to get in. If not, they likely wouldn’t have gone very deep even with Dubois.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Possible times to trade PLD:

1. This offseason: Teams have not finalized their rosters yet. Where does Kadri sign? Are there teams (like Colorado) that still might make a move to secure a top 2 centre?

2. Regular season: Does a contending team suffer a major injury to one of their centres? Is a contending team struggling mightily out of the gate and needs to shake things up? This may be an opportunity to exact a good return.

3. Near TDL: A lot of this has to do with how the Jets are positioned. Jets will have to balance their current season success with asset management. Trading Dubois does not necessarily white flag the season. The Jets could do what they did with Copp last year... trade the asset but spend a bit of currency replacing him with a lesser piece to keep the team competitive. It's quite possible Dubois is retained for the entire year.

4. Next offseason: Potential shake-up of the entire team given core contract situations. I don't think I would retain Dubois beyond this point (they could wait for the next TDL but yeesh, that's risky).
If his name is not on a long term contract (4-5 years minimum) with the Jets in early January, I don’t hesitate to trade him to the highest bidder by the deadline

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
I just hope he doesn't go to the Habs. Honesty has never really been his forte. I just hope he ends up wherever he will have to face himself and stop being a big bodied whiner.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Curious to see the team that was kicking tires on PLD for a 2 year deal for their cup runs. 32 thoughts said there was a team sniffing around that was willing to bring him in knowing he’s likely gone in 2 years but nothing materialized

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Curious to see the team that was kicking tires on PLD for a 2 year deal for their cup runs. 32 thoughts said there was a team sniffing around that was willing to bring him in knowing he’s likely gone in 2 years but nothing materialized

At this point I think it’s clear the Jets intend to start the season with Scheif and PLD. Jets want to compete this season IMO.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
At this point I think it’s clear the Jets intend to start the season with Scheif and PLD. Jets want to compete this season IMO.

Pretty much what I see. As of now PLD looks like he is leaning towards FA. But if we can sort out the room and bounce back up into being a highly competitive team we may be able to convince to stay a few years extra. It's a really big year for the organization.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
We know what Helly is capable of if our zone isn’t a tire fire, I think coach will implement systems that benefit Helly.
Jmo had a great year and Demelo always has good underlying numbers. Pionk needs a bounce back year no doubt but I think he’s capable of it. Dillon or Samberg are great second pairing guys that can PK. Heinola I hope can break in nicely in a sheltered role to gain confidence. Schmidt is the only guy I’m worried about back there.
Up front I’m expecting big things from Perfetti and a break out season for Barron. I got no issues with the top 6 and fresh start for Scheif under a new coach. We got two real good centres that can really carry this team with the talented wingers at their side. Wheeler is now a middle six guy but can still play and contribute.
I like the lineup. Get a third line and go!

OK, fine. But I am responding to your inability to understand why people can't see the positives that exist. I'm not sure the ones you see actually exist. I'm not trying to be deliberately negative. I'm believing that what happened last year was real. That's all.

Maybe we were just the opposite of Minny. Flukey bad instead of flukey good. Maybe that gets reversed this year. That is the sum of my optimism.

You hope that all of the above will be true. Written between your lines is the conclusion that Maurice wasn't just a bad coach. He was an incredibly bad coach, if this change can be that significant.

Maurice has a career pts% of 52.8. Bowness has a career pts% of 39.1. You have very high hopes for this coaching change.

We know what Helle was capable of 3 years ago. We don't know if he is still capable of that or not. Goalies peak too.

JMo had a great year. DeMelo is very good defensively. He has scored just 8 goals in his 397 NHL games. I'm a DeMelo fan. I think it is great that he can fill in on the top pair when we really don't have a top pairing RHD. But he really should be lower on the depth chart on a good team. Pionk really needs to bounce back because he really was bad last year. I put at least part of that on a bad fit with Dillon. Not blaming Dillon, they just had no chemistry together. I like aspects of Dillon's game but I think he is just too immobile. Samberg is much better that way, but lacks Dillon's physicality. Each is half of a good player. What we need there is the best of both of them. If Dillon and Samberg both play, there is no room for any other LHD. Heinola could get games as an injury replacement - if he is not behind Stanley. Schmidt was OK playing with JMo. Not so good with his 3rd pair partners.

I don't like the 2nd pair if it is Dillon and Pionk unless they can completely turn it around as a pair. I don't like the 3rd pair if it is Schmidt and any of the partners he had on the 3rd pair last year. I liked Pionk much better when he was with Samberg.

Maybe we go:
JMo - DeMelo
Samberg - Pionk
Dillon - Schmidt
That might not be too bad. I don't know if Dillon & Schmidt will gel together well or not. I do know that that 3rd pair would be costing more than either of the 2 top pairs - 9.85 mil for a 3rd pair! Good grief!

I also have high hopes for Perfetti, but he needs to bring enough value to make up for Copp and Stastny. There are no other upgrades in our F corps. I don't expect an awful lot from Barron. He should be better than Vesalainen at least. But we are also currently without Svechnikov. Who is going to replace him? I want to see 2 NHL F signed before I get excited about our prospects for this season. Otherwise Reichel and Malott are getting a lot of games in. Or is it Maenalanen and Eyssimont?

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
OK, fine. But I am responding to your inability to understand why people can't see the positives that exist. I'm not sure the ones you see actually exist. I'm not trying to be deliberately negative. I'm believing that what happened last year was real. That's all.

Maybe we were just the opposite of Minny. Flukey bad instead of flukey good. Maybe that gets reversed this year. That is the sum of my optimism.

You hope that all of the above will be true. Written between your lines is the conclusion that Maurice wasn't just a bad coach. He was an incredibly bad coach, if this change can be that significant.

Maurice has a career pts% of 52.8. Bowness has a career pts% of 39.1. You have very high hopes for this coaching change.

We know what Helle was capable of 3 years ago. We don't know if he is still capable of that or not. Goalies peak too.

JMo had a great year. DeMelo is very good defensively. He has scored just 8 goals in his 397 NHL games. I'm a DeMelo fan. I think it is great that he can fill in on the top pair when we really don't have a top pairing RHD. But he really should be lower on the depth chart on a good team. Pionk really needs to bounce back because he really was bad last year. I put at least part of that on a bad fit with Dillon. Not blaming Dillon, they just had no chemistry together. I like aspects of Dillon's game but I think he is just too immobile. Samberg is much better that way, but lacks Dillon's physicality. Each is half of a good player. What we need there is the best of both of them. If Dillon and Samberg both play, there is no room for any other LHD. Heinola could get games as an injury replacement - if he is not behind Stanley. Schmidt was OK playing with JMo. Not so good with his 3rd pair partners.

I don't like the 2nd pair if it is Dillon and Pionk unless they can completely turn it around as a pair. I don't like the 3rd pair if it is Schmidt and any of the partners he had on the 3rd pair last year. I liked Pionk much better when he was with Samberg.

Maybe we go:
JMo - DeMelo
Samberg - Pionk
Dillon - Schmidt
That might not be too bad. I don't know if Dillon & Schmidt will gel together well or not. I do know that that 3rd pair would be costing more than either of the 2 top pairs - 9.85 mil for a 3rd pair! Good grief!

I also have high hopes for Perfetti, but he needs to bring enough value to make up for Copp and Stastny. There are no other upgrades in our F corps. I don't expect an awful lot from Barron. He should be better than Vesalainen at least. But we are also currently without Svechnikov. Who is going to replace him? I want to see 2 NHL F signed before I get excited about our prospects for this season. Otherwise Reichel and Malott are getting a lot of games in. Or is it Maenalanen and Eyssimont?
I’m well aware of the negatives and know they exist. I hear what you’re saying. I may be ambitious but I honestly feel good about this season if we can shore up our third line which Chevy is clearly trying to do but no takers.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020

Maybe we go:
JMo - DeMelo
Samberg - Pionk
Dillon - Schmidt

Toninato is better than Vesalainen.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad