Confirmed with Link: PLD 1 year 6 Million(accepted qualifying offer)

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I am not sure how to interpret the one year term? Is this mutually beneficial for both camps?

I would say so.

1. Jets: if we retain on a TDL deal, we're only retaining for this year (not for two years). Easy for us to go ahead and retain @ 50% for a sweetheart trade.

2. Dubois (& Jets): He can sign a new contract January 1. So, a team trading for him near the TDL could also negotiate and execute on an extension. Good for Dubois and good for the Jets (in terms of potential trade value)

I see no benefit for either side to do a 2-year deal.

Glad it turned out this way. Dubois probably could have got more at arbitration. Not sure why he didn't pursue that in hindsight if he was just going to sign the Q.O.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I would say so.

1. Jets: if we retain on a TDL deal, we're only retaining for this year (not for two years). Easy for us to go ahead and retain @ 50% for a sweetheart trade.

2. Dubois (& Jets): He can sign a new contract January 1. So, a team trading for him near the TDL could also negotiate and execute on an extension. Good for Dubois and good for the Jets (in terms of potential trade value)

I see no benefit for either side to do a 2-year deal.

Glad it turned out this way. Dubois probably could have got more at arbitration. Not sure why he didn't pursue that in hindsight if he was just going to sign the Q.O.
Maybe he is much more reasonable that we have been making him out to be here?

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
That’s what I think to. $6m is a very reasonable cap hit and one would think makes him much easier to trade.
If we screw the pooch again this year then you trade Pretty Lame Dude at the deadline at 50%. $3 million for a low-end 1C is a bargain, there should be lots of suitors. Then he’s still an RFA so the acquiring team can go on one more run with him (albeit for more than $3 million).

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Now we will see what happens. He is now more tradable to teams other than the Habs as a 2 year rental. 1 year at a bargain and the team would still have control afterwards.
The upside too is that , this shouldn't be a distraction now going into the season.
PLD will play to win & hopefully the Jets don't drag their feet and find a suitable deal

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Good. This will remove an element of the drama from the proceedings, and will ensure that if he has a training camp holdout, he will be breaking his SPC. It's also a very tradable contract. The next news I want to hear is either a trade or training camp. I don't want to hear this stupid shit all throughout the rest of the summer.

Mooche

Feb 21, 2013
Winnipeg
If PLD comes out, shuts his mouth, and plays hard all the way through to the 2023 TDL -- the Jets should be in really good shape.

Opens up a lot of possibilities to deal with a variety of teams at this cap hit (possible retention, even, too) and he will be extremely coveted by contenders, even if he is viewed as a pure rental. PLD plays a premium position and will easily be one of the most desirable pieces on the market at any deadline. All it takes is two teams to get into a bidding war...

If Montreal doesn't want to play ball with a solid offer right now, which appears to be the case, that's fine, the Jets can pivot and deal with another team.

Let Montreal worry about signing him to a massive deal in two years. Not our concern.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad