Confirmed with Link: PLD 1 year 6 Million(accepted qualifying offer)

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Well apparently when the leadership core of the Jets (Wheeler, Scheifele, Buff) wanted more from Laine he disapproved and wasn’t happy about it, now lots of people blame Wheeler for that and seems to be where a lot of the Wheeler hate comes from.

“I think he chafed under some of the leadership there. The guys at the top of that food chain are hard driving guys. They expect you to buy into the program and I think that they felt he didn’t buy in enough and I think he felt that some of the things that they wanted were ridiculous.” - Elliotte Friedman

A double edged sword for Wheeler, some people will say he’s an Asshole for trying to get players to buy in and play to their potential or he’s a bad leader for not getting players to buy in.

The real problem is that the guys at the top of the food chain were playing minuet long shifts so they could float around and wait for offensive opportunities. This isn't physically easy, but it's not effective and leaves you playing a slow, low intensity game that they were critical of Laine for. "Do as I say not as I do" stuff like this from your leaders will break a locker room every time.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
To be fair, when the Suzuki example happens, maybe you should toss the whole model. You can't have a "good" model and then have an outlier like that. That's proof of an obvious flaw

What makes you think it's an outlier? He's clearly overpaid for what he's delivered this far, and the model reflects that. He also has a reasonable chance to improve enough to justify they contract, and the model reflects that as well. So, what exactly do you think is flawed?

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Full tin foil hat moment.

I would hope Chevy gets a return of Dach + Barron/Guhle + Florida’s 2023 1st in a deal with Montreal for PLD. If the Jets need to add something like Heinola to get it done, I’m ok with that.

I have a feeling Florida will take a step back this year and not make the playoffs in a tough division (call it the Maurice effect), so that pick might be top 15.

I also think the Jets stumble a bit, as they have gotten all they can from guys like Wheeler, Schmidt and Dillon, and the bottom 6 is still a mess as of now. They too could be looking at a top 10-15 pick.

With two picks in top 15, in a strong draft might be the rebuild kick start this team ultimately needs. Imagine being able to draft a C like Dvorsky and winger/C like Stramel. In a couple years…

Connor-Dach-Lambert (yes, I think he develops into a top 6 winger)
Perfetti-Dvorsky-Ehlers
McGroarty-Lucius-Stramel
Rachevsky-Gustafson-Chibrikov

Now that would be mostly scoring lines and there’s no Lowry or Appleton which means no chance this happens, but if these prospects work out, the Jets have an abundance of riches imo.

I'm not interested in Dach unless he substantially improves his play, at this point he'd slot in behind Lowry.

Reactions: surixon

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I’m well aware of the negatives and know they exist. I hear what you’re saying. I may be ambitious but I honestly feel good about this season if we can shore up our third line which Chevy is clearly trying to do but no takers.

I can buy into some optimism, at least when it is accompanied by an IF. :laugh:

I do wish Chevy would give me something to hang my optimism on. Anything, just toss me a bone Chevy. :laugh:

Toninato is better than Vesalainen.

Honestly, I kind of liked Toni in his role last year. Underappreciated utility guy.

Reactions: TS Quint

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Hard to say but if I was betting money I would say PLD won’t play in Montreal this season.

Have to agree - but I wish it wasn't so.

IMO, there is a trade there that would benefit both teams. Though Habs might not see it that way if PLD makes them better this year, reducing their chances of getting Bedard.

I wonder if that is the holdup? Habs want to tank hard this year?

Reactions: surixon

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
The real problem is that the guys at the top of the food chain were playing minuet long shifts so they could float around and wait for offensive opportunities. This isn't physically easy, but it's not effective and leaves you playing a slow, low intensity game that they were critical of Laine for. "Do as I say not as I do" stuff like this from your leaders will break a locker room every time.
18/19-19/20 Scheifele’s average shift length was 2 seconds more than Laine and Laine’s average shift length was 3 seconds more than Wheelers.

Scheifele (2.84) and Wheeler (2.55) also had a better xGA/60 than Laine (2.91)

Reactions: RestlessYoungZero

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
18/19-19/20 Scheifele’s average shift length was 2 seconds more than Laine and Laine’s average shift length was 3 seconds more than Wheelers.

Scheifele (2.84) and Wheeler (2.55) also had a better xGA/60 than Laine (2.91)
And all about 10 seconds longer than they should have been... Maybe great skaters like OV or McDavid can do ok with shifts in the 1 min range, but even with them I think it's hurts their overall game. Scheiflele on 58 second shifts just looks slow and lazy.

Reactions: hn777

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Shift time is pretty hard to gauge... Laine was left on for almost the whole power play because he was the trigger man... Scheif's shifts were extended by gliding back to the box... Wheeler was Paul's go to guy - he worked hard his whole shift but not sure Maurice did him any favours

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
Shift time is pretty hard to gauge... Laine was left on for almost the whole power play because he was the trigger man... Scheif's shifts were extended by gliding back to the box... Wheeler was Paul's go to guy - he worked hard his whole shift but not sure Maurice did him any favours
Wheeler (3:26), Scheifele (3:28) and Laine (3:24) all had pretty much the same PPTOI/GP clearly Wheeler and Scheifele actually had slightly more so that doesn’t really fit the narrative that Laines shift length is extended just due to PP time.

Fact of the matter is someone made a claim that Wheeler and Scheifele took extended shifts compared to Laine meanwhile that just absolutely isn’t true.

Reactions: RestlessYoungZero

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
What makes you think it's an outlier? He's clearly overpaid for what he's delivered this far, and the model reflects that. He also has a reasonable chance to improve enough to justify they contract, and the model reflects that as well. So, what exactly do you think is flawed?
Because according to Habs fans he's worth 11 PLDs

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Have to agree - but I wish it wasn't so.

IMO, there is a trade there that would benefit both teams. Though Habs might not see it that way if PLD makes them better this year, reducing their chances of getting Bedard.

I wonder if that is the holdup? Habs want to tank hard this year?

I asked Habs fans that question and it seems like the popular opinion is they won’t gut their roster to finish as low as possible (Chicago, Arizona etc) but they are not adding assets either.

The team rallied a bit under Marty last season so I guess we’ll see.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
PLD and Wheeler (1m retained) for Konecny and Provorov.

PLD said the reason he wanted out of Columbus wasn't Torts so, no worries...

Reactions: GeorgeJETson

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Wheeler (3:26), Scheifele (3:28) and Laine (3:24) all had pretty much the same PPTOI/GP clearly Wheeler and Scheifele actually had slightly more so that doesn’t really fit the narrative that Laines shift length is extended just due to PP time.

Fact of the matter is someone made a claim that Wheeler and Scheifele took extended shifts compared to Laine meanwhile that just absolutely isn’t true.
In 2017-18 and 2018-19, Laine had 17 mins a game while Scheif and Wheeler ran 21 mins... so yeah, there's a difference

fmrdh

Mar 5, 2013
A deal around PLD/Barzal could be interesting

Some speculation that NYI / Barzal don't always see eye to eye and he's in a similar contract situation to PLD, RFA after this season and 1 year to UFA.

Maybe PLD would sign long term in NYC and Barzal would sign here?

Reactions: GNP

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
A deal around PLD/Barzal could be interesting

Some speculation that NYI / Barzal don't always see eye to eye and he's in a similar contract situation to PLD, RFA after this season and 1 year to UFA.

Maybe PLD would sign long term in NYC and Barzal would sign here?

I'd have to think it'd be PLD+ for Barzal, if it'd happen at all.

And while I might be for it, depending on the '+', I think the only way Barzal would sign long term would be for a massive overpay, something the Jets have yet to do.

Reactions: GNP

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
It will be interesting to see the PLD situation play out over the next 12 months. If we are out of the playoffs this season then I think his best return comes as a rental at this TD. An acquiring team would get two playoff runs out of the kid and a shot to change his mind about his future plans.

Reactions: GNP and SCP Guy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad