PlayStation 5 Details released in interview.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
In my experience playing Gran Turismo Sport on a daily basis, ray tracing is wonderful. Even though it comes at the expense of literally every other feature that's commonplace in games, graphically. Big fan.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
They should go full out backwards compatible PS1-PS4.

I want to bust out my Wu-Tang Shaolin Style disc. If I even still have it. Best fighting game all time.

Reactions: Kid Icarus

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
PS5 being able to play with PS4 sure as hell better be there. You can play 360 players on an XB1 so I would hope they’re able to do it.

I wouldn’t mind if these new consoles launched in the Spring.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Launch backwards compatibility is huge for reducing that early console lifespan game gap, particularly if Sony can keep the hit titles coming.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Launch backwards compatibility is huge for reducing that early console lifespan game gap, particularly if Sony can keep the hit titles coming.

That's a good point, especially for anyone who switches from XBOX to Playstation next gen. They might be held over between PS5 releases with some of PS4's games like God of War.

Common Sense

Dec 29, 2010
They should go full out backwards compatible PS1-PS4.

I want to bust out my Wu-Tang Shaolin Style disc. If I even still have it. Best fighting game all time.
The problem Sony has is that the ps2 and ps3 used such crazy hardware that they can’t really do it. That’s why the original backward compatible ps3s were $600 pieces of shit with overheating issues, they had to stuff all of the ps2 hardware inside the console along with the completely different ps3 hardware.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY

Rumors of PS5 being more powerful than Project Scarlett

Considering the time gap between the PS4 Pro and the PS5 possibly releasing at the end of 2020, I could see this being the case.

Honestly, I'm really wondering why Xbox decided to announce the new system 1.5 years before actual release? Like, you can say they are working on a new one and here is the date, but it felt like silly filler and things you can't exactly promise for that time frame. Unless they locked in their architecture NOW and are just going to adjust to it. I'm still betting the PS5 won't be announced until either December or early next year.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Tbh we've reached a point where the tech arms race means less and less. That stuff is all plateauing and every further gen will just be diminishing returns. All I really care about from a hardware perspective is that both of these things will have SSDs in them, so hopefully consoles can get out of the load time dark age.

Really if games stayed around the same as they are now but everything had no load times and ran at 60+ frames at all times I wouldn't complain.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Tbh we've reached a point where the tech arms race means less and less. That stuff is all plateauing and every further gen will just be diminishing returns. All I really care about from a hardware perspective is that both of these things will have SSDs in them, so hopefully consoles can get out of the load time dark age.

Really if games stayed around the same as they are now but everything had no load times and ran at 60+ frames at all times I wouldn't complain.

I too would prefer them to focus on the user experience more than the graphical fidelity next gen.

That said, Sony users are a bit spoiled. Despite aging hardware, Sony studios make the best looking stuff on the market.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Eh, I have such a big backlog of PS4 games that I have yet to play that truth be told I'm fully expecting to just stick with Nintendo for convenience factor of being a dad next generation.

Coming out late 2020, so maybe I'll look when the library is interesting enough to me probably late 2022 or later, but doubt if sooner.

Last edited:

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I like that they're adding some new features to the controller, we don't see much innovation from anyone other than Nintendo there these days.

Even if I don't get the console I might get one of those controllers for PC use.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad