PlayStation 5 Details released in interview.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
That is true. This will finally at least have a UHD Blu-Ray drive so we can watch 4K BR movies on it. Hell yeah. Always wanted to see the 4K remastering of The Matrix where they removed the green filter.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
what is even the point of 8k support on consoles when their current 4k supporting consoles can still barely do over 30fps in most titles
I think people are really focusing too hard on that, it's most likely just the max display output, the same way graphics cards have. In fact the GTX 1080s max is 8k too I think and it can't play games anywhere near that.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Eh.

Nothing really jumps out at me, it's all evolutionary spec bumps over what's out now...AMD, but faster, SSD over HD, but SSD are falling in price, RAM is falling in price, 4k TVs are falling in price, and for 8k, I would need a TV that covers an entire wall for me to probably notice the difference in resolution.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
The SSD is definitely a relatively significant bang for the buck improvement. hard drive in the xbox is dog slow.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Also, as Mark Cerny mentioned in the interview, putting an SSD in the PS4/PS4 pro basically does nothing. There's some type of bottleneck in the hardware and you'll get a few seconds improvement in load times at most.

Reactions: Beau Knows

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Also, as Mark Cerny mentioned in the interview, putting an SSD in the PS4/PS4 pro basically does nothing. There's some type of bottleneck in the hardware and you'll get a few seconds improvement in load times at most.

Probably a combination of SATA tech, lack of RAM (not as much as it could be) and overall poor CPU performance can really make it seem pointless to have an SSD. If they can solve all of these, then it'll actually work.

Reactions: Beau Knows

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
If the base model is struggling to hit 60fps in games, I'll just skip it and wait for a pro version and hope for the best I can't go back to 30fps or constant dipping in games after playing pc.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Yeah I know they want to build hype and all that but this is just an upgrade. A necessary upgrade, but Sony hasn't dealt in "game changers" for a long time now. Microsoft tried with the Xbox One but it was complete shit and they had to walk everything back to a standard release. Nintendo's the only one who consistently tries, but they tend to be hit or miss with the high spec crowd.

The market just really isn't there for it. For one you have to rely in game devs to make the games, and they've been pretty stagnant for a long time. Then on a more technical angle it's just simply not possible to stick the best cutting edge hardware into a $400-$500 box.

The best thing to look forward to is Sony has great 1st party developers so you get to see what they can do with the increased specs. But you're still only likely looking at "upgrade" capabilities, while 3rd party games will mostly remain the same thing just at higher fidelity and frame rates.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I don't own a PS4 myself and I always struggle to justify buying a console because the games that I like tend to be spread throughout different generations and consoles, so any one console would only end up being bought to play a handful of games. Because of that, I was kind of hoping that this would be backwards compatible with PS1-PS5, so that I could actually hold a stronger library on it, but this works too I guess. I'll probably buy this.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I don't own a PS4 myself and I always struggle to justify buying a console because the games that I like tend to be spread throughout different generations and consoles, so any one console would only end up being bought to play a handful of games. Because of that, I was kind of hoping that this would be backwards compatible with PS1-PS5, so that I could actually hold a stronger library on it, but this works too I guess. I'll probably buy this.

Rumours are that full PlayStation backwards compatibility will be a bigger announcement somewhere down the road.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Rumours are that full PlayStation backwards compatibility will be a bigger announcement somewhere down the road.

While this would be absolutely stellar for even PS3 games to be fully and properly emulated, even just having the PS4 BC would be great. PS4 BC should be obvious though since it's not much of a change other than better hardware and it's still an x86 based architecture. Admittedly, I would love to give another go-ahead on God Hand (PS2) and get some serious fun in that way on the big TV that I have.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I really don't think there will be more than PS4 compatibility, it would be complicated and there's no money to be made. Also otherwise the new console looks more like evolution than revolution, nothing to look forward to too much but once it's there I guess one has to get it at some point.

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
I personally skipped the PS4 and just keep playing my PS3. I'm cheap, the games are $5, and there's a lot of good ones and PS4 games still seem to be overpriced here.

If a PS5 is backwards compatible then I'd buy it once the used classified price drops down to like $300ish and by that point, all these $20-40 PS4 games would be $5-15 as well hopefully. Gives me a chance to catch up on some of the big PS4 games, finish them, and then start playing the PS5 games that came out early in the PS5 cycle and have dropped a few years in. If the PS5 isn't backwards compatible then I'll probably just get a PS4.

Either that or I'll just keep playing the massive PS3 library lol.

Thinking about picking up a PS3 so I can ball some NHL 14 again lol.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Thinking about picking up a PS3 so I can ball some NHL 14 again lol.

Some guy is still doing rosters for NHL 14. I personally am mainly playing Legacy these days with edited rosters from 2016 some guy made. I'd personally recommend picking up a copy of either NHL 2k8 or NHL 2k10. They play very well especially with slider adjustments. Different physics system, more fun than playing the same EA game over and over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad