PlayStation 5 Details released in interview.

kingskring

Dec 3, 2012
MARK CERNY WOULD like to get one thing out of the way right now: The videogame console that Sony has spent the past four years building is no mere upgrade.

You’d have good reason for thinking otherwise. Sony and Microsoft both extended the current console generation via a mid-cycle refresh, with the Xbox Oneand PlayStation 4 spawning mini-sequels (the Xbox One S and PS4 Pro). “The key question,” Cerny says, “is whether the console adds another layer to the sorts of experiences you already have access to, or if it allows for fundamental changes in what a game can be.”

The answer, in this case, is the latter. It’s why we’re sitting here, secreted away in a conference room at Sony’s headquarters in Foster City, California, where Cerny is finally detailing the inner workings of the as-yet-unnamed console that will replace the PS4.
A TRUE GENERATIONAL shift tends to include a few foundational adjustments. A console’s CPU and GPU become more powerful, able to deliver previously unattainable graphical fidelity and visual effects; system memory increases in size and speed; and game files grow to match, necessitating larger downloads or higher-capacity physical media like discs.

PlayStation’s next-generation console ticks all those boxes, starting with an AMD chip at the heart of the device. (Warning: some alphabet soup follows.) The CPU is based on the third generation of AMD’s Ryzen line and contains eight cores of the company’s new 7nm Zen 2 microarchitecture. The GPU, a custom variant of Radeon’s Navi family, will support ray tracing, a technique that models the travel of light to simulate complex interactions in 3D environments. While ray tracing is a staple of Hollywood visual effects and is beginning to worm its way into $10,000 high-end processors, no game console has been able to manage it. Yet.
Ray tracing’s immediate benefits are largely visual. Because it mimics the way light bounces from object to object in a scene, reflective surfaces and refractions through glass or liquid can be rendered much more accurately, even in real-time, leading to heightened realism. According to Cerny, the applications go beyond graphic implications. “If you wanted to run tests to see if the player can hear certain audio sources or if the enemies can hear the players’ footsteps, ray tracing is useful for that,” he says. “It's all the same thing as taking a ray through the environment.”

The AMD chip also includes a custom unit for 3D audio that Cerny thinks will redefine what sound can do in a videogame. “As a gamer,” he says, “it's been a little bit of a frustration that audio did not change too much between PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4. With the next console the dream is to show how dramatically different the audio experience can be when we apply significant amounts of hardware horsepower to it.”

The result, Cerny says, will make you feel more immersed in the game as sounds come at you from above, from behind, and from the side. While the effect will require no external hardware—it will work through TV speakers and visual surround sound—he allows that the “gold standard” will be headphone audio.

So. New CPU, new GPU, the ability to deliver unprecedented visual and audio effects in a game (and maybe a PSVR sequel at some point). That’s all great, but there’s something else that excites Cerny even more. Something that he calls “a true game changer,” something that more than anything else is “the key to the next generation.” It’s a hard drive.

You can read the rest of the interview at the link below
https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-sony-next-gen-console/

Reactions: Roman Fell

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Some people have been speculating around $500 for it. Considering the power, the fact it has an SSD and other things, I think $500 is definitely do-able. I kind of hope there is going to be a special, limited edition version that will be releasing for it.

Honestly, just a side thing, I truly hope Sony starts to do what MS does with their controllers, which is have an online store to custom make your own controllers and designs.

There have also been rumors that Death Stranding will have a PS5 version as well, possibly at launch? Honestly, if major Sony games come out this year or next year, I could easily see them having PS5 versions at launch, making the PS5 all that more enticing off the bat.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
From IGN: According to Wired, fast-travelling between locations in Insomniac's Spider-Man on a PS4 Pro took 15 seconds. Using a next-gen PlayStation devkit, the same action took 0.8 seconds.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Looks great!

To be honest I'd be happy with a cheap machine that can consistently run 1080p 60 FPS with a larger FOV. :laugh:

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
lol, it was the very first thing i thought of once i saw there was an announcement. Next gen has to be 60 fps right? although now that ray tracing is a thing, i doubt it.

Maybe they will give you more options like the boost mode vs performance mode on the PS4 Pro? It would be nice to see more of that choice in the next gen consoles.

Reactions: Commander Clueless

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Day 1 for me. Especially with the BC for PS4 games. Hope they allow for more BC for older systems, but we'll see.

Just curious, but why is backwards compatibility a feature that sells you on a day 1 purchase when you can already play every PS4 game on a PS4?

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Just curious, but why is backwards compatibility a feature that sells you on a day 1 purchase when you can already play every PS4 game on a PS4?

It's something that I can implement immediately and not really miss a beat with PS4 games that I still have. There are PS4 games still now that I still want and should play but who knows, I could wait to play them on the PS5 considering how long it's taking me to get to these. Also, I'm a huge sucker for some awesome new hardware and I bought my PS4 on day 1 and I plan on doing it with the PS5. BC isn't the only reason that it's day 1 for me, but it was just something that makes it much easier to be day one.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada

I guess it would allow you to sell your old console, sort of making the new one less expensive.

But the thing that has always irked me about consoles is needing new controllers every generation, even when they barely change at all. Letting you use your PS4 controllers would be more useful than backwards compatibility imo, buying 3 extra controllers for a new console can be very expensive.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Found this on reddit
The APU is meant to be clocked at under 2Ghz. Did they learn anything from the PS4 and Xbox One launches? They were severely underpowered and the main problem was the lower clocked CPU and the 8GB of RAM, even with the decent GPU upgrade the Xbox One X received, framerate performance was still gimped due to the CPU. Once again weak console specs is going to gimp the potential of PC games and the hardware they can run on.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Found this on reddit
The APU is meant to be clocked at under 2Ghz. Did they learn anything from the PS4 and Xbox One launches? They were severely underpowered and the main problem was the lower clocked CPU and the 8GB of RAM, even with the decent GPU upgrade the Xbox One X received, framerate performance was still gimped due to the CPU. Once again weak console specs is going to gimp the potential of PC games and the hardware they can run on.

I suppose to get to the rumoured $500 price point there must be some compromise made when they are including an SSD, a GPU with ray tracing and 8k support.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada

I personally skipped the PS4 and just keep playing my PS3. I'm cheap, the games are $5, and there's a lot of good ones and PS4 games still seem to be overpriced here.

If a PS5 is backwards compatible then I'd buy it once the used classified price drops down to like $300ish and by that point, all these $20-40 PS4 games would be $5-15 as well hopefully. Gives me a chance to catch up on some of the big PS4 games, finish them, and then start playing the PS5 games that came out early in the PS5 cycle and have dropped a few years in. If the PS5 isn't backwards compatible then I'll probably just get a PS4.

Either that or I'll just keep playing the massive PS3 library lol.

Reactions: Beau Knows

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Maybe they will give you more options like the boost mode vs performance mode on the PS4 Pro? It would be nice to see more of that choice in the next gen consoles.

That's what I'm hoping for, although I think a lot of that is up to the developers to implement.

Reactions: Beau Knows

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
what is even the point of 8k support on consoles when their current 4k supporting consoles can still barely do over 30fps in most titles

Reactions: Commander Clueless

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad