Confirmed with Link: Playoffs Round 1: New York Rangers vs Pittsburgh Penguins - All series talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
I can't even put into words how nervous I am
You and me both. If anyone thinks the Pens are going to be a walk over, think again. The Pens are going to tighten up defensively. I would be surprised if these weren't,... tight low scoring affairs where a bounce or two will be the difference.

Reactions: egelband and AirGut

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
The kid line needs to be permanently broken up, which means the top 2 lines also need to be broken up; and Goodrow needs to be on the fourth line.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
So we are going to break up all the lines for the playoffs? Pass.

Keep the kid line together.

No. It doesn’t work and hasn’t worked. And frankly the top two lines need a tweaking too. Vatrano and Strome should play third line.

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
I have no idea what you're watching lol.

Kakko's pretty f***ing effective in the corners at winning battles and more importantly, being able to keep possession in tight spaces.

Your boy Strome on the other hand...

Kakko is not a fast player, and he's not the type to get after it on the forecheck. He's also the opposite of physical. That's not his game, and that might be what Gallant desires more of in the bottom 6 especially if the going gets tough. For the record, I would expect Chytil to sit before Kakko if it came down to it. I trust Kakko much more defensively.

Strome's role in the lineup is to produce on the scoreboard like he has during his entire tenure here, unlike Kakko, which is why he is stapled in the top 6 headed into the playoffs. His role is different than a bottom 6 role. I doubt you need these basics explained to you though.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
So we are going to break up all the lines for the playoffs? Pass.

Keep the kid line together.
The great thing about Gallant is that he is not afraid of mixing it up during the game, if he feels a change is warranted. He has an uncanny ability to tweak the lines mid-game that produces results. Like moving Laffy and Hunt last game whom both scored.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Crypto Guy

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Kakko is not a fast player, and he's not the type to get after it on the forecheck. He's also the opposite of physical. That's not his game, and that might be what Gallant desires more of in the bottom 6 especially if the going gets tough. For the record, I would expect Chytil to sit before Kakko if it came down to it. I trust Kakko much more defensively.

Strome's role in the lineup is to produce on the scoreboard like he has during his entire tenure here, unlike Kakko, which is why he is stapled in the top 6 headed into the playoffs. His role is different than a bottom 6 role. I doubt you need these basics explained to you though.

So the convo starts from being "physical" to being fast?

Way to move the goalposts bud.

And no hes not physical in the sense of cracking skulls, but he's really good along the walls, which if you've watched playoff hockey, you'd know ALOT of the game ends up living there unless you have 2 teams that decide that they want to just trade chances (and this almost NEVER happens.) These games usually turn into sludge wars, his lack of "speed" won't be an issue here. The good news? The Rangers are collectively pretty good at this, or at least they have been since the deadline.

Strome, who is allergic to winning any type of puck battle however, is MUCH more likely to be a massive detriment. I can't tell you the amount of players I've seen over the years who have similar profiles who end up doing nothing in the playoffs, we've had a TON of them come through here.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
You and me both. If anyone thinks the Pens are going to be a walk over, think again. The Pens are going to tighten up defensively. I would be surprised if these weren't,... tight low scoring affairs where a bounce or two will be the difference.
Yep and one thing Pittsburgh definitely is is that they're well coached. Sullivan is a great coach and he really has shown his ability to turn a series with his moves. Plus Crosby and Malkin and Letang are all still playing at a very high level and are dangerous and players who are fully capable of going vintage at any time.

Reactions: ohbaby

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
The top 6 isn't being touched, nor should it.

It's the playoffs. The idea of "ice time for the sake of development" goes out the window right now. The kid line didn't show anything. Someone, probably KK, is going to have to play with "lesser" players. Maybe that allows him to play a simpler game and actually be more effective playing to his strengths, which is playing along the wall and below the goal line.

Laf - Chytil - Hunt
Rooney - Goodrow - KK

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
The top 6 isn't being touched, nor should it.

It's the playoffs. The idea of "ice time for the sake of development" goes out the window right now. The kid line didn't show anything. Someone, probably KK, is going to have to play with "lesser" players. Maybe that allows him to play a simpler game and actually be more effective.
If I had to guess, kid lines starts together, Goodrow on the 4th. Eventually Chytil will get moved off the 3rd and Goodrow will center Laf and KK.

Goodrow steps up his play in the playoffs and I have a strong feeling Laf is going to as well. Kakko also was a big game player pre NHL so he could easily surprise us as well. If the 3rd line produces, we are going to be scary.

Reactions: deathb4disco

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
If I had to guess, kid lines starts together, Goodrow on the 4th. Eventually Chytil will get moved off the 3rd and Goodrow will center Laf and KK.

Goodrow steps up his play in the playoffs and I have a strong feeling Laf is going to as well. Kakko also was a big game player pre NHL so he could easily surprise us as well. If the 3rd line produces, we are going to be scary.
I think if they are leading late in games, you see Goodrow take Vatrano's spot on the CK-Zib line.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
I just know there will be a game where we'll be protecting a 3rd period 1 goal lead and Laf will be benched, and this place will lose its shit.

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
So the convo starts from being "physical" to being fast?

Way to move the goalposts bud.

And no hes not physical in the sense of cracking skulls, but he's really good along the walls, which if you've watched playoff hockey, you'd know ALOT of the game ends up living there unless you have 2 teams that decide that they want to just trade chances (and this almost NEVER happens.) These games usually turn into sludge wars, his lack of "speed" won't be an issue here. The good news? The Rangers are collectively pretty good at this, or at least they have been since the deadline.

Strome, who is allergic to winning any type of puck battle however, is MUCH more likely to be a massive detriment. I can't tell you the amount of players I've seen over the years who have similar profiles who end up doing nothing in the playoffs, we've had a TON of them come through here.

I said Kakko was soft...and complemented that with also slow. You brought up Ryan Strome. So who is moving the goal posts?

You are exhibit A for a meltdown if Gallant wants the bottom 6 to be more physical and Kakko or Chytil sit because they are the opposite of that.

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
Kakko had two assists tonight why is everyone trying to move him around. Chytil and Kakko are one of the things that just work and the only thing we can lean on for that fourth line. Laf is the issue on the kid line which isn't a big deal because if he gets shifted around it'll be to a line that will get more ice time anyways. I'm not too worried about how Chytil or Kakko will look in the playoffs since they were both one of the few players who looked like they cared in the bubble.

Reactions: ohbaby

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I said Kakko was soft...and complemented that with also slow. You brought up Ryan Strome. So who is moving the goal posts?

You are exhibit A for a meltdown if Gallant wants the bottom 6 to be more physical and Kakko or Chytil sit because they are the opposite of that.

I'll only be pissed if they outplay bad players (as they should, Rooney and Reaves suck) and are benched in lieu of them. If they struggle and deserve to sit, then they should sit.

My issue was more with your analysis, which was dog shit because if you're really worried about soft and slow, you should be deathly afraid with Strome.

Reactions: JCProdigy

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I'll only be pissed if they outplay bad players (as they should, Rooney and Reaves suck) and are benched in lieu of them. If they struggle and deserve to sit, then they should sit.

My issue was more with your analysis, which was dog shit because if you're really worried about soft and slow, you should be deathly afraid with Strome.
You got to at least start with Reavo in game 1, set the tone

Reactions: Uglybstrd
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad