GDT: Playoffs Push / “Tank”😂 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Nice. Islanders playing well lately; beat NYR.

Man, the Ducks got the assignment for finishing the season. Zero wins in 10.

Ya’ll negative around here, whereas I am positive, and completely have faith the Canucks have the ability to lose many more games than the Blue Jackets, Isles, or Sharks.

Last edited:

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Oilers win, blues get a point, Vegas wins. As if the playoff chances needed any more bullet holes before people believe the team is done for.

eiCvSg.gif

Reactions: geebaan

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Surprisingly, the Canucks actually still have a shot

next 10 games Vegas, Vegas, Arz, SJ, Vegas, Arz, Stars, Sens, Wild, Flames. (then the Kraken and Kings).

If there ever was a line up of games that are both winnable and relevant, this is it. They need to win all 3 against Vegas, and if they do, they could win 8 in a row. A long shot I know, but not impossible. Maybe they could rehire BB.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Maybe the team can fire and rehire Bruce so they get another Boudreau bump and go on a 10 game streak.
That was the intent of my BB remark above. But the schedule is really favourable for some chance of that.

If they win the 3 Vegas games, then the 2 Arz games are likely, with SJ, Stars and Sens decent chances ... then they have a test against the Wild and flames.

• Haha
Reactions: theguardianII

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
March 16th. 2022..Thats a long way from the 8-15-2 of where they were on Dec 8th..?...Without a doubt I knew you would resurface with the 'I told you so's' when the Canucks attempt fell flat (then they win a few , and you go dark again)...

They were out of the playoffs by the end of November. They haven’t been “back in the race” except to those who don’t know math. Why? Because at some point a slump would hit (it did) and other slumping teams would stop slumping (also happened). The only chance they had to truly get back into things was to have Demko remain at otherworldly level 5-on-5 for pretty much an unprecedented amount of time. I said at the time people were saying they just needed a 5 or 6 game winning streak that no they needed the equivalent of 15-20 game winning streak. And then they’d still need to keep pace in remaining games. It’s called realism. This team just didn’t and doesn’t have the horses.

Re-surface? Dude I’ve been here all along. By the award I just got 20 years worth of being here apparently. I haven’t posted as much because quite frankly my outrage is gone so I feel less need to point out the issues (they are now known and accepted by most for once). In addition, the Canucks schedule and my schedule have overlapped (kids with high school cheerleading and middle school basketball/track plus getting back to playing hockey instead of being in physical therapy). I’ve also been added to two teams at work at the turn of the year where the majority of the team are based in Europe so it’s early, early morning meetings for me making 9 and 10 pm game start times a bitch to watch in full and be productive the next day. When I have the chance I have just been watching the game not commenting as much. For once as I took a little joy in some good personal performances without the cloud of idiocy surrounding the team and I’m usually I’m done typing for the day… And sure, they are out of it and have been for a long time so interest as a whole wains.

But sure I told you so. I can live with that. Better than delusion that Benning built a viable team.

Edit: and for a heads up. Tomorrow the Canucks play at 6 pm my time I believe. My hockey game starts at 6:30 pm so from 6-8:30ish to include warm up and beverages in the room afterwards I will be unable to watch the game. Therefore I won’t be commenting. I’ll let you know my Canucks game day schedule from here on out of you like.

Last edited:

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021
That was the intent of my BB remark above. But the schedule is really favourable for some chance of that.

If they win the 3 Vegas games, then the 2 Arz games are likely, with SJ, Stars and Sens decent chances ... then they have a test against the Wild and flames.

😂 Are you for real dude? The Arizona games are far from likely and I think the Sens actually stomp us. Let’s see though.

Reactions: theguardianII

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
They were out of the playoffs by the end of November. They haven’t been “back in the race” except to those who don’t know math. Why? Because at some point a slump would hit (it did) and other slumping teams would stop slumping (also happened). The only chance they had to truly get back into things was to have Demko remain at otherworldly level 5-on-5 for pretty much an unprecedented amount of time. I said at the time people were saying they just needed a 5 or 6 game winning streak that no they needed the equivalent of 15-20 game winning streak. And then they’d still need to keep pace in remaining games. It’s called realism. This team just didn’t and doesn’t have the horses.

Re-surface? Dude I’ve been here all along. By the award I just got 20 years worth of being here apparently. I haven’t posted as much because quite frankly my outrage is gone so I feel less need to point out the issues (they are now known a and accoeted by most for once). In addition, the Canucks schedule and my schedule have overlapped (kids with high school cheerleading and middle school basketball/track plus getting back to playing hockey instead of being in physical therapy). I’m also been added to two teams at work where the majority of the team are based in Europe so it’s early, early morning meetings for me making 9 and 10 pm game start times a bitch to watch in full and be productive the next day. When I have the chance I have just been watching the game not commenting for once as I took a little joy in some good personal performances without the cloud of idiocy surrounding the team and I’m done typing for the day… And sure, they are out of it and have been for a long time so interest as a whole wains.

But sure I told you so. I can live with that. Better than delusion that Benning built a viable team.

Edit: and for a heads up. Tomorrow the Canucks play at 6 pm my time I believe. My hockey game starts at 6:30 pm so from 6-8:30ish to include warm up and beverages in the room afterwards I will be unable to watch the game. Therefore I won’t be commenting. I’ll let you know my Canucks game day schedule from here on out of you like.
Ditto about the entire Benning era. At first I thought they had a plan, they stated right away they hoped they may have a chance at a playoff spot but they also quoted Tortorella about the team being old and stale and needing to get more younger players. Sounded like a rebuild and Gillis had them set up perfectly especially with the "rookies" running the team.
Gillis left the team with no number one goalie, as fans know now the outcome would be bleak if Demko was not playing, so a built in tank due to no goalie, but the vets all signed to very reasonable contracts, Gillis left the team with over 12 million in cap space to use for trading picks.
And fans would accept first year mistakes that took the team down to a chance at McDavid/Eichel and then Mathews.
With still keeping veteran mentorship.
Markstrom obviously was the goalie of the future and timed almost perfectly to improve over the next two seasons.

Didn't happen, oh well.

But it has been well known if not publicized that by US Thanks giving 80% of teams in a playoff spot are there at the end of the season, it just looks closer than reality due to the loser point. IMHO the first week in December is better, closer to 92% +/- 3%

This league gets away with selling what everyone knows but fooling them. 0.500 is always the standard for being half way between good and bad, usually 50% of the teams in the good half and 50% not so good. 16 teams good and 16 teams wanting. But in the NHL .500 is closer to 24 to 26th. Isn't the loser point great for suckering in fans that are not that smart?

Even the Canuck play by play guy stated he thought/knew they were out of it in November.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Gillis was brought up to justify Benning's misadventures for years and years.

As it stands there are only 2 players on this hockey club who are not signed by Benning.

I'm afraid he is entirely relevant to the goings on of the team for a good long while.
Over on CDC I posted and I think I even started a thread about how fans would end up looking at the Gillis time here as a gold standard.
But the employees astro surfed that it was all Gillis fault that the prospect pool was light, totally ignoring that Gillis never had the team over the cap, never over paid any player (remember the Burrows 2m/yr afte 30 goals), had exactly ONE top ten pick, his first draft and that was considered at the time a coup, Hogdson was excellent but had that back problem. He traded for another who fans here think is one of the best players on the ice.

I got bullied by the employee gang constantly trying to goad me into verbal insults but I just kept to the stats. Finally they just banned me with no reason.

But I stayed constant, Benning was not rebuilding, his record was getting worse and worse, I compared clause contracts, a really big excuse at first, and often questioned what and where was the plan. I miss Botch, used to communicate with him a lot. THE NO PLAN, PLAN

Gillis has to be one of the most successful GM's this team has ever had.
Winning teams have lousy draft selections
Benning had twice as many top picks as Gillis's teams selecting one at 28 vs Benning selecting two at 5 and 32.
And Gillis wins that battle with only two top ten picks, both were winners baring a disease.
See Tampa or Vegas right now, they are trading away their 1rst like tictacs

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Gillis was brought up to justify Benning's misadventures for years and years.

As it stands there are only 2 players on this hockey club who are not signed by Benning.

I'm afraid he is entirely relevant to the goings on of the team for a good long while.

Imagine bringing up "but Gillis" and "empty cupboards" for 8 years but getting upset within months when Benning is rightfully criticized as this is still his roster. This bad faith and disingenuous posting really makes some of these threads very unenjoyable to read. I think we need an anti-whining ordinance on here regarding people who get upset about Benning's name being brought up. We're here to discuss the team and the roster, not about your feelings.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Imagine bringing up "but Gillis" and "empty cupboards" for 8 years but getting upset within months when Benning is rightfully criticized as this is still his roster. This bad faith and disingenuous posting really makes some of these threads very unenjoyable to read. I think we need an anti-whining ordinance on here regarding people who get upset about Benning's name being brought up. We're here to discuss the team and the roster, not about your feelings.

I said it in another thread and I will say it again. We are in a worse spot then when we fired Gillis 8 years ago. Our stars are younger so we do have a wider window, but a worse spot. Was there a contract that couldn’t be moved for positive value?

This also doesn’t even mention Markstrom and the 6th and 36th overall draft picks.
And Kessler to move.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Today’s hopeful match ups :

Columbus v Boston

Winnipeg v LA

Dallas V San Jose

A CBJs win would put them within 2 pts.

Can anyone confirm or deny a team can only move 10 spots ? If so, it’s important we drop a big.

Exciting. Nice to watch some meaningful games.

Here’s your daily what-if draft lottery simulation:

Attachments

• 5D2F9C4B-27C7-4D6E-89BF-4C0794710856.jpeg
    5D2F9C4B-27C7-4D6E-89BF-4C0794710856.jpeg
    124.7 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: Nona Di Giuseppe

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
This also doesn’t even mention Markstrom and the 6th and 36th overall draft picks.

I said it in another thread and I will say it again. We are in a worse spot then when we fired Gillis 8 years ago. Our stars are younger so we do have a wider window, but a worse spot. Was there a contract that couldn’t be moved for positive value?

And Kessler to move.

It's really just listing prospects in the cupboard. So picks that hadn't been made yet don't really count and Markstrom, while not an established NHL player had played 40+ NHL games when Benning took over.

Anyway the point of the tweet is that both groups suck.

One sucks and the team was chasing a cup, and the other sucks while trying I'm it's hardest to not be a bad team and failing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad