Status
Not open for further replies.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
d97d0f05d3a29c7c5506c036b11ca877.gif

likash

Apr 17, 2019
We will finish 10-12, not bad enough for a top 5 pick. The worst spot to be in.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
The return for Miller has to include a young (hopefully RHD) defender who's on the verge.

That way they can try to dump one of their bigger contracted defenders. Somehow.

They need some surplus draft capital as well. There's nobody really on the farm who looks like a second wave.

They need more Spencer Martin's, Luke Schenn's, Kyle Burroughs etc. Less poolman's, Dickinson's, etc.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
The return for Miller has to include a young (hopefully RHD) defender who's on the verge.

That way they can try to dump one of their bigger contracted defenders. Somehow.

They need some surplus draft capital as well. There's nobody really on the farm who looks like a second wave.

They need more Spencer Martin's, Luke Schenn's, Kyle Burroughs etc. Less poolman's, Dickinson's, etc.
They’re not tanking..get over it.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
They are certainly primed to move assets. Management needs to make a decision between two choices:

1) keep the status quo in the very slim hopes of making playoffs (by pt% they’ve still only passed Chicago in the last two months…) knowing you need to deal with the same things in the summer

2) move some of the assets you have between now and the deadline and see what happens playoff race wise. Get a head start on the mountain of work that needs to be done.

thankfully choice #3 is off the table with Benning gone:

3) going all in between now and next camp ruining the franchise for an extra few years.

I personally think management will be choosing option #2. Is that the definition of a tank? Not sure with Demko in net but for many franchise it would be.

The difference is this isn’t a tank thread to get people removed from their jobs but rather a thread about the reality of where the team is. And that place is one where they will likely sell off older players for younger assets who are not as good right now as the outgoing players (and with picks players aren’t even pros yet).

Hard to believe, but the team will likely be dipping deeper into the farm and that poor depth as we head towards to the deadline and players are moved out. Climbing the standings will likely not happen. Falling may not happen either beyond maybe one spot.

Last edited:

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I believe the plan is jim and the management does whatever he needs to do this season for the greater good of next season an onwards. So if missing the playoffs this season for a better onwards and beyond than they will do that, instead of focusing on making the playoffs this season.

It’s quite unfortunate we can’t achieve 2 things which is miss the playoffs and get a very high pick. So right now for the greater good of our future might end up settling teens pick maybe 12-14 range and move forward.

Reactions: tantalum

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
I think whoever we get in return for our players are gonna be good players and keep us competitive but they won’t be game breakers so we will maybe dip to a little in the standings from our trajectory

8-10

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
If we sell at the deadline and get some good stuff for miller/motte/boeser than i dont really mind what happens in the the tank. If Petey, Hughes, and Demko pop off and drag us to like 10-15 then its what ever. Hopefully we will have multiple first round picks anyways that could be used for any myriad of things like trading up/down.

Reactions: dwarf

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Core:
Boeser has got to go.

Miller too. I think his value is at his peak at the TDL but if teams are playing hardball, wait till the draft.

Non-core:
Pearson has got to go.

Halak has got to go.

Try and trade Dick.

See if anyone gives anything for Mother Tucker.

Deal Motte if offers are good. Try to resign ST if offers are not.

Draft
Pure BPA. If 2-3 players are close, draft the dman.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
If we cleared enough salary in trades could we get anything of value for Ferland and his LTIR? Vegas is going to need some space, might be able to get something serviceable?
I think that is why we should explore trading away the higher level salary guys like Bo, Boeser, Miller, Garland. I imagine trading Miller, Garland, Motte at the TDL will give us cap to take on a good player from Vegas for super low cost.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
I think that is why we should explore trading away the higher level salary guys like Bo, Boeser, Miller, Garland. I imagine trading Miller, Garland, Motte at the TDL will give us cap to take on a good player from Vegas for super low cost.

Not going to happen but would love to have Whitecloud from them.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I didn't use the word tank once.

Synonyms for "tank" : Container, basin, cauldron, keg, tub, vessel, cask, cistern, receptacle, vat

Curious to hear what "retool" means to a lot of people here. You see good pieces exit in a "retool." Colorado got rid of guys like ROR, Stastny, and Duchene over a few season while riding waves.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
I think the NHL needs to change the draft lotto system… there is already enough randomness in the degree that one pic booms and another busts, and at the end of the day its not the team owners or the GMs or the coaches or the players that get hit the hardest by the draft lotto, its the FANS.

Look at the Sabres fans. That fanbase deserved McD. The randomness of sports and life in general has given them enough lemons. The NHL doesn’t need to add more randomness to it.

Reactions: CherryToke

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Miller for Schneider + Kravstov + 2022 1st

Garland for Lysell + 2023 2nd

Motte for 2022 2nd + 2023 4th

Schenn for 2022 3rd + 2023 5th

Pearson/Burroughs/Dickinson for anything

Draft one of Nemec/Jiricek/Mintyukov/Lambert/Lekkermaki/Nazar

Trade Horvat in the offseason with a U23 center with top 6 ability/upside and 2023 1st coming back

Tank hard for 2023 draft. Bedard/Michkov/Fantilli/Yager/Benson

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009

I wonder if we're bringing up new Abby blood or if this is cap gymnastics for Hamonic...

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
If we cleared enough salary in trades could we get anything of value for Ferland and his LTIR? Vegas is going to need some space, might be able to get something serviceable?
His contract isn't insured. The only reason teams like the Arizona like LITR contracts is they can reach the cap floor without paying any actual money (insurance would cover the player). So there wouldn't be any reason to pay millions for a player that can't play. Another Benning special.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad