GDT: Playoffs Push / “Tank”😂 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
After the loss to Buffalo, pretty clear the Canucks playoff chances were done and dusted.

Allvin should've been selling on anything not nailed down.

Agreed. buuuuut, this could still happen in the off season and/or draft. I’m going to give the benefit of the doubt that he didn’t have good enough offers.

If we go into next year with same or added bodies, and same or less picks, I’ll be disappointed

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
Warms my heart that we are missing the playoffs while simultaneously having less than the allotted amount of draft picks that everyone gets with only 6.

I feel like I've seen this script before
The positive note is that if Benning was still here it would only be 5 with this years first out the door out of desperation. Sorry thats all the positive I got.

Capped out team, again
Not all our draft picks, again
No playoffs, again
So yeah this is still Bennings script

Reactions: Tomatoes11

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
They at the very least changed the lottery system to prevent teams from winning the lottery more than 2 times in 5 years to prevent the Oiler situation. And only the bottom 11 have a chance at 1st overall.

Yeah. The oilers caused this . Good tinkering imo

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
You accumulate pts once your mathematically eliminated.

Call it the D pool playoffs. Worst teams have longer to get pts. Never a dog game for fans theoretically

This also punishes the teams that suddenly have a rash of players going for “required” surgeries.

Easiest way to tank; players need a maintenance surgery? Send em.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
I also think the lottery system is good.

Tanking currently doesn’t appear successful, yet continuously bad teams have been provided with enough opportunity to get good young players.

The idea of once eliminated you get into a points race for picks sounds fun though.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I also think the lottery system is good.

Tanking currently doesn’t appear successful, yet continuously bad teams have been provided with enough opportunity to get good young players.

The idea of once eliminated you get into a points race for picks sounds fun though.
Exactly. I'm just glad someone actually took notice of the idea i floated out.

The Canadiens would currently be the first team able to get pts and all games would matter for the fans and players not a swath of garbage time numbers and meaningless games

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Agreed. buuuuut, this could still happen in the off season and/or draft. I’m going to give the benefit of the doubt that he didn’t have good enough offers.

If we go into next year with same or added bodies, and same or less picks, I’ll be disappointed
The TDL resulted in the movement of rentals or players that were greatly outperforming their contract locked up to term. The former had less value than perceived league-wide (Giroux for instance) and the latter went for a ransom (eg. Hagel).

Other than Motte, who went for the same price as Mason Appleton, we had neither.

Cleaning up after Jim Benning is going to be a years-long ordeal. We can wait on JTM. Boeser I hoped would have been shopped as a rental, but alas. They can also start clearing out players like Pearson and Myers this offseason and perhaps buy out Dickinson and Poolman the year after. What is key, and very much remains to be seen, is what they can recoup in return for the re-tool.

Here, we already have glimpses of what they're aiming for. Dermott came back from the Hamonic trade. Boeser for Marino fell through. For JTM they wanted Schneider. It's that pressing need that we've all been harping on for ages: the defense needs to be overhauled to be younger, faster and more cost-effective. That way - hopefully - we can stop surrendering an ungodly number of high danger chances and leaning so heavily on goaltending.

Time will tell if they can actually pull it off...

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
The TDL resulted in the movement of rentals or players that were greatly outperforming their contract locked up to term. The former had less value than perceived league-wide (Giroux for instance) and the latter went for a ransom (eg. Hagel).

Other than Motte, who went for the same price as Mason Appleton, we had neither.

Cleaning up after Jim Benning is going to be a years-long ordeal. We can wait on JTM. Boeser I hoped would have been shopped as a rental, but alas. They can also start clearing out players like Pearson and Myers this offseason and perhaps buy out Dickinson and Poolman the year after. What is key, and very much remains to be seen, is what they can recoup in return for the re-tool.

Here, we already have glimpses of what they're aiming for. Dermott came back from the Hamonic trade. Boeser for Marino fell through. For JTM they wanted Schneider. It's that pressing need that we've all been harping on for ages: the defense needs to be overhauled to be younger, faster and more cost-effective. That way - hopefully - we can stop surrendering an ungodly number of high danger chances and leaning so heavily on goaltending.

Time will tell if they can actually pull it off...
Giroux had full control over where he goes. Biggest reason he went for so cheap.

Last edited:

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

The Canadiens would currently be the first team able to get pts and all games would matter for the fans and players not a swath of garbage time numbers and meaningless games

The thing I go back to with this idea is that the players probably don't care that much about their teams draft position.

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021

That idea doesn’t work at all because the whole point of giving last place 1st overall is for parity so the 32nd team closes the gap on the 31st team on to the eventually Stanley cup winner.

If you give all non playoffs teams a shot at bedard you run too much risk of say the islanders or penguins getting bedard. Islanders made the ecf twice and are just now starting to regain their form but are still going to miss the playoffs. Under this system they would have too good of a shot at Wright. Reigning two time ecf champions and only chance at stopping Tampa the previous two years getting Wright, bedard, or mitchkov? Don’t play with that.

And if the Pens hired Chiarelli instead of Burke as president or Jarry sucked like Murray or jarry last year they would have a shot at Wright too and might have an outside shot at Bedard. No one with Crosbitch and malkin still performing should have a shot at 1st.

Way more opportunities for the lafreniere to the rangers type shenanigans if you do it this way. And do you really want to give bettman more opportunities at these shenanigans? All he would technically have to do is penalize the teams they least want to win bedard the most down the stretch. If you buy into the corrupt NHl and officials thing that is. I buy into it slightly but I don’t believe the scope is much more than the typical company favours one employee over another thing that happens all the time in real life.

Last edited:

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
That idea doesn’t work at all because the whole point of giving last place 1st overall is for parity so the 32nd team closes the gap on the 31st team on to the eventually Stanley cup winner.

If you give all non playoffs teams a shot at bedard you run too much risk of say the islanders or penguins getting bedard. Islanders made the ecf twice and are just now starting to regain their form but are still going to miss the playoffs. Under this system they would have too good of a shot at Wright. Reigning two time ecf champions and only chance at stopping Tampa the previous two years getting Wright, bedard, or mitchkov? Don’t play with that.

And if the Pens hired Chiarelli instead of Burke as president or Jarry sucked like Murray or jarry last year they would have a shot at Wright too and might have an outside shot at Bedard. No one with Crosbitch and malkin still performing should have a shot at 1st.

Way more opportunities for the lafreniere to the rangers type shenanigans if you do it this way. And do you really want to give bettman more opportunities at these shenanigans? All he would technically have to do is penalize the teams they least want to win bedard the most down the stretch. If you buy into the corrupt NHl and officials thing that is. I buy into it slightly but I don’t believe the scope is much more than the typical company favours one employee over another thing that happens all the time in real life.
I dont think so. The Canadiens would have 16 games to start accumulating points towards Wright or the top of the draft vs say Dallas who get maybe 2 games once they are eliminated

A 32 pt potential vs 4

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
The thing I go back to with this idea is that the players probably don't care that much about their teams draft position.
yes but they should care about winning and that's the point. Players dont want to tank and play with a bunch of try out kids .

And fans in most cases dont want to watch garbage time efforts and a bunch of kids looking decent but also not getting a real opinion based on the games being about as important as pre season games.

It will never happen but it makes some sense IMO and would be good for the fans and better for clearer evaluation of players annd fun for teams knocked out to have meaning to the non playoff implication games

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021
I dont think so. The Canadiens would have 16 games to start accumulating points towards Wright or the top of the draft vs say Dallas who get maybe 2 games once they are eliminated

A 32 pt potential vs 4

That still doesn’t solve the issue of parity at all. And Dallas should have no shot at getting a better pick than say Arizona . Do you really think Dallas becoming way stronger than Arizona in one draft is fair? Shouldn’t even be a remote possibility. I mean that discrepancy is already large with Dallas having Heiskanen, Harley, robertson etc. already. Get that crap idea far away from me please . They shouldn’t have even one lick of a chance at Wright.

Last edited:

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021
yes but they should care about winning and that's the point. Players dont want to tank and play with a bunch of try out kids .

And fans in most cases dont want to watch garbage time efforts and a bunch of kids looking decent but also not getting a real opinion based on the games being about as important as pre season games.

It will never happen but it makes some sense IMO and would be good for the fans and better for clearer evaluation of players annd fun for teams knocked out to have meaning to the non playoff implication games

It doesn’t work. Sorry, rewarding winning with a higher chance at a lottery pick is stupid. The whole goal is balance not rewarding winning. They already reward winning with ticket sales, cups, advertising dollars etc. lots of reasons to win, that’s the whole point of sports. Lol

Just like we need revenue sharing to operate properly, no matter how unfair it is to Toronto. It needs to be done to keep an equilibrium between the 32 teams. Same thing with this idea. It would totally screw the balance full stop. The worse teams get crappier and the rich teams richer.

In fact , it would be even easier to tank. Like after Tampa’s 3rd cup, if they can do it, they could just screw it for next season since 4 peat probably not possible if they are too gassed. Then once they are officially eliminated go on a tear and win Wright or bedard. That strat would be much easier to do then what the laffs did for matthews. Would be almost 100% foolproof with this system with a good enough team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Reverend Mayhem

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
That still doesn’t solve the issue of parity at all. And Dallas should have no shot at getting a better pick than say Arizona . Do you really think Dallas becoming way stronger than Arizona in one draft is fair? Shouldn’t even be a remote possibility. I mean that discrepancy is already large with Dallas having Heiskanen, Harley, robertson etc. already. Get that crap idea far away from me please . They shouldn’t have even one lick of a chance at Wright.

I think that is a fun idea, but I don't know how practical it would be. The NBA has a draft lottery, and the MLB and NFL goes by reverse order standings. And in the NBA and NFL, you have better prospects at 21-22. Everyone has bitched about the draft order in the NHL for years, exactly what is wrong with doing it this way? The Oilers won 4 #1s in 6 years? How's that working for them?

Reactions: racerjoe

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
It doesn’t work. Sorry, rewarding winning with a higher chance at a lottery pick is stupid. The whole goal is balance not rewarding winning. They already reward winning with ticket sales, cups, advertising dollars etc. lots of reasons to win, that’s the whole point of sports. Lol

Just like we need revenue sharing to operate properly, no matter how unfair it is to Toronto. It needs to be done to keep an equilibrium between the 32 teams. Same thing with this idea. It would totally screw the balance full stop. The worse teams get crappier and the rich teams richer.

In fact , it would be even easier to tank. Like after Tampa’s 3rd cup, if they can do it, they could just screw it for next season since 4 peat probably not possible if they are too gassed. Then once they are officially eliminated go on a tear and win Wright or bedard. That strat would be much easier to do then what the laffs did for matthews. Would be almost 100% foolproof with this system with a good enough team.
i dont think your grasping the concept?

You would get a chance to get pts ONCE your team is officially eliminated. So you not only have to win the games the amount of games to get pts is weighted by when you are eliminated.

Meaning Arizona and Montreal would already be in a battle for Wright and have upwards of 5 to 10 to 15 games more to accumulate points than their counterparts. The notion that players would tank to suddenly turn it on to get a higher draft position is less likely than the current scenario of just sucking and then packing it in as you would actually have to have some success and not just booked off on LTIR before the season is over.

Reactions: December5th

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021
i dont think your grasping the concept?

You would get a chance to get pts ONCE your team is officially eliminated. So you not only have to win the games the amount of games to get pts is weighted by when you are eliminated.

Meaning Arizona and Montreal would already be in a battle for Wright and have upwards of 5 to 10 to 15 games more to accumulate points than their counterparts. The notion that players would tank to suddenly turn it on to get a higher draft position is less likely than the current scenario of just sucking and then packing it in as you would actually have to have some success and not just booked off on LTIR before the season is over.
I understand the concept but it still doesn't work. Even if Montreal and Arizona gets to accumulate lotto or Wright points before anyone else and say Montreal wins it because they made the SCF last year. You are still guaranteeing the worst team , which in this is case Arizona, gets a worse pick than a better team.

Take an organ transplant for example. Say Arizona needs it more than Montreal. You as the medical association of your province and the doctors union , would you really go up to them and say hey fight for it? And if a less needy team gets it first if they win? Doesn't work that way.

I am okay with them tanking if that's what the organization chooses but if you really want to avoid tanking or cheating the draft lotto system. The best way is probably to let the bottom 10 teams submit an application or power point of why they need Bedard the most, leave monetary reasons out of it of course just team performance reasons complete with stats, charts , of how bad their players are etc. Then let an outside arbitrator with their own scouts decide, and if they feel a team is jobbing it after they do their internal investigations and reference checks, dock points from them. Then the gms vote on the arbitrator list if its fair or not. If the gms veto it, go by 32 to cup winner. No lottery.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks have 14 games left, starting tonight against the Blues....Realistically, they're going to need at least 10 wins to finish with 93 points, and even that might not be enough.

It's been a long grind just to get back in it, and their official elimination probably won't occur until almost the last week of the season. About all you could realistically expect after their start.

And this off-season is shaping up as one of the most interesting in years.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Canucks have two options:
1. Win all remaining games and make playoffs; or
2. Lose all remaining games and get awarded a high draft pick (Arizona thanks us for the high 2nd rounder).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad