Playoffs of Laine/Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
Never said they were better. Just said they've shut them down. There is a big difference. Lowry is no where near the center Bergeron is. But he is more than capable of keeping him off the scoresheet which has been successfully demonstrated. Shutting someone down doesn't instantly make you better. It just means you shut them down. I shouldn't even really have to explain this to a knowledgeable fan... :help:

To be fair, it was Bergeron's second game back from injury.

The line didn't really regain it's true form till the first game against Toronto.

Not saying the Jets 4th line isn't good but you seem to be reading way too much into one game.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
It changes nothing. Matthews is the better overall player.
And BTW, calm down on this it's been 2 games. Matthews looked great last season in the playoffs and you've forgotten already. Matthews had 5 points in 6 games against the caps.
NHL fans today are all about what happened last night.
Don't know about that, I'd take Laine over Matthews at this moment in time.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Laine is on a way better team.

He’s kind of overrated. Amazing player one of the top young guys but not the best next to mcdavid for example.

However he has shown up in the playoffs this year which you can’t say about the other.

He’s had stretches where he goes cold.

I take Matthews eichel scheifle Barkov all over Laine.

Largely for the centre factor and largely because they all have to pull more weight on there teams where as Laine plays for a team that perfectly fits what he needs..

Last edited:

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016

The line didn't really regain it's true form till the first game against Toronto.

Not saying the Jets 4th line isn't good but you seem to be reading way too much into one game.

nah. it's not just one game. lowrys line is a solid shut down line and theuve been doing it for most of the season and now theyre doing it in the playoffs. always gonna be some excuse, right?

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

Zanon

Apr 4, 2008
Vancouver
s1M8fFC.jpg

cNEM9BG.jpg

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
2 game sample size aside, let’s wait until Laine has a challenge more than a depleted Wild team missing their #1 D.

Wait! Have I heard this before? Hum... or was it just the "yeah sure he can score against FEL, international or whatever goalies but just wait until he's up against NHL netminder or make a fool out of NHL defenceman!". Oh and the good old sample size, that rings a bell as well. Deja vu.

We've basically been told to wait after every corner, so I suppose one more doesn't hurt (or make much difference). xD

Reactions: behemolari

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
nah. it's not just one game. lowrys line is a solid shut down line and theuve been doing it for most of the season and now theyre doing it in the playoffs. always gonna be some excuse, right?

Yes they are good, and that's why they were able to take advantage of an under-performing Bergeron who was playing his second game back from injury. Just like Konecny did in the game against Philly.

If they are asked to shut that line down for a full 7 game series, I think that changes drastically.

If you think that's a slight against your team, I don't know what to tell you.

Feb 24, 2017
It changes nothing. Matthews is the better overall player.
And BTW, calm down on this it's been 2 games. Matthews looked great last season in the playoffs and you've forgotten already. Matthews had 5 points in 6 games against the caps.
NHL fans today are all about what happened last night.
The caps are universally accepted as a choking dog joke of playoff hockey. This Boston team is more indicative of matthews’ playoff play.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

I'm just saying it's possible.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Laine is on a way better team.

He’s kind of overrated. Amazing player one of the top young guys but not the best next to mcdavid for example.

However he has shown up in the playoffs this year which you can’t say about the other.

He’s had stretches where he goes cold.

I take Matthews eichel scheifle Barkov all over Laine.

Largely for the centre factor and largely because they all have to pull more weight on there teams where as Laine plays for a team that perfectly fits what he needs..

I'd probably take all of them over Laine as well. When it comes to wingers there isn't any I'd take over Laine going forward. Guys like Pasta and Boeser are close. I don't think Connor is to far behind them though. Ehlers doesn't score like them but he's dynamic in a different way with his speed.

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Yes they are good, and that's why they were able to take advantage of an under-performing Bergeron who was playing his second game back from injury. Just like Konecny did in the game against Philly.

If they are asked to shut that line down for a full 7 game series, I think that changes drastically.

If you think that's a slight against your team, I don't know what to tell you.

and what about the first game? i dont think that line scored a single point

here's the thing about that line. that's supposed to be our 4th line

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Player A is going up Eric Staal as their number 1C and without Suter
Player B is going up against Bergeron and Chara.

I wonder whose more likely to have success......

When player A goes up against a good team in Nashville in the next round, we shall see how it goes.

Feb 24, 2017
Agreed and the Minnesota Wild are proven playoff winners.
I’m not interested in the laine Matthews measuring.

I just like to point out when leafs fans prop up the Washington Capitals and success against them when they were part of piling on them as a playoff joke until that was their matchup.

Last edited by a moderator:

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Laine has always been a beast in games that matter. Finns have been saying it since he was drafted and here we are.

"Some" Leaf fans obviously will trash his play saying "WILD SUCKS" and so forth as usual. Some of them just can't give any credit to Laine ever.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
and what about the first game? i dont think that line scored a single point

here's the thing about that line. that's supposed to be our 4th line

Not sure why you are bringing up a game from December but the Lowry line was a -1 in that game.

It was also in Boston, so the Bergeron line was playing against the Scheifele line if I recall correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad