Playoffs of Laine/Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I'm not a fan of judging players a handful of games into their careers. Players like Datsyuk and Hossa proved their detractors wrong, whereas others have had relatively disappointing playoff careers.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Keep telling yourself your 4th line is better than the Bergeron line :help:

Never said they were better. Just said they've shut them down. There is a big difference. Lowry is no where near the center Bergeron is. But he is more than capable of keeping him off the scoresheet which has been successfully demonstrated. Shutting someone down doesn't instantly make you better. It just means you shut them down. I shouldn't even really have to explain this to a knowledgeable fan... :help:

Reactions: Snowman

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Ughh, I hate comparing centres to wingers. You are better off doing a schiefele vs Matthews comparison.

If you really want to do this, I suppose you can say that lane is getting the job done with flying colours while Matthews is having a miserable time, but the reason I hate the centre vs winger comparison is because the C position more influential to a team's success than wing. That is to say that laine would have a harder time getting the job done if his center was struggling.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Crosby getting shut down by Bergeron = not a top-5 center either then yes?
Remind me, when did Bergeron absolutely dominate Crosby for an entire series? Bergeron isn't just shutting down Matthews - first lines neutralize each other all the time in the playoffs - his line is also putting up big numbers.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Matthews gets owned by Bergeron at home 2 games in a row and Laine faces a much easier opponent = Laine is better. People will believe what they want so no point in arguing with those on here.. I am filling up my ignore list nicely though.

ignorance is your bless then

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
This constant bickering over Laine and Matthews and their fans is insane. I'm a Jets fans and I have no problem agreeing that Matthews was the deserving first overall. Centres of his skill are too valuable.

That being said Laine may turn into a generational scorer. That's also pretty special. Let's just be happy the lottery balls gave us these players and save the debates when we have a decent sample size. Right now we don't. Jury hasn't even heard the evidence yet, nevermind being still out.

I fully understand your perspective as a Jets fan, those who are keeping debate going on are die hard Laine fans. Theres a huge difference.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
Matthews looks overwhelmed matching up against Patrice Bergeron - as does almost everyone. Until Laine faces that level of adversity I wouldn’t draw too many conclusions. They’re both excellent.

Quiet Jack

Mar 24, 2017
Yes. At the end of the regular season is thought Matthews was better. But after these two playoff games I realize how foolish I was.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
It's cause #1C's usually cannot risk making hits because it puts them out of possession. They need to dictate the play, be defensively responsible and be aware of the developing play. Hitting mostly puts people out of possession. That's why you rarely see #1C's hitting and wingers are always hitting, because they don't have the same responsibility.

Off the top of your head, what active #1C is physical?

Not active, but Lindros’ game was never hampered by being physical. He still dictated play and definitely was not a defensive liability. Different era, but he still checked all the boxes you mentioned.

Getzlaf is quite physical as well.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
no it doesn't and shouldn't. matthews is facing the best line in hockey with playing with a grinder on his left wing (hyman gm 1 komarov gm 2) where as laine is playing with much better linemates against an easier opponent.

Leaf fans whenever Matthews sucks and/or fails: ITS HYMANs fault!

This, despite Hyman beinng the best Leaf forward all series lol.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Leaf fans whenever Matthews sucks and/or fails: ITS HYMANs fault!

This, despite Hyman beinng the best Leaf forward all series lol.
It's idiotic to not think worse line mates make your productivity worse. Not surprising you don't understand that.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Not active, but Lindros’ game was never hampered by being physical. He still dictated play and definitely was not a defensive liability. Different era, but he still checked all the boxes you mentioned.

Getzlaf is quite physical as well.

Peter Forsberg is perfect example.

Matthews really doesn't look like a #4 center in the game at the moment #NHLTopPlayers: Top 20 Centers

Reactions: untouchable21

Vekke

Feb 28, 2018
Who cares? Both are excellent and other one might even win SC during his career.

Reactions: dlam

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
I believe Matthews is obviously better overall but am overjoyed that we were able to draft Laine. Let’s just enjoy the moments they create.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Some of the excuses are so specific.

If Laine has a bad streak I'm going to say his beard makes him face aerodynamic hindrances causing him to underperform

Reactions: Plural

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Laine's always been a better big game performer so far with WHC MVP award, Liiga Playoffs MVP award, key piece of the WJC Gold Medal etc but Matthews is young he's got plenty of time to figure out the psychological aspects of performing when it matters.

It was an issue in NLA as well where Matthews didn't perform well in the playoffs.
Did you watch him play? Matthews scored 3p in 4 games in the NLA playoffs, that's not too bad. It's also pretty weird to base anything as a "problem" for what he did or did not do in his draft season as a teenager, especially considering the sample size. Laine scored only 1 goal in the first series of the FEL playoffs (I think it was against Ilves).

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
I believe Matthews is obviously better overall but am overjoyed that we were able to draft Laine. Let’s just enjoy the moments they create.

Agree to disagree, but the humble Jets attitude certainly never infuriates any other fan bases out there. :thumbu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad