Pre-Game Talk: Playoffs (monday) game 1 Toronto Maple Leafs vs Tampa Bay Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I am hype tbh. Going in with next to no expectations so I don't care what happens but I would be genuinely surprised if this year of all years against a back to back cup winning team, this would be when they do it.

Reactions: HolyCrap

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Rather Spezza than Blackwell to be honest.

Well, it’s the grittiest playoff team we’ve iced for playoffs, that’s for sure.

I can’t wait, the last six weeks of this season have been torture waiting for the inevitable.
Rather Spezza than Clifford. I really like what Blackwell brings.

Reactions: Northernguy10

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
I am hype tbh. Going in with next to no expectations so I don't care what happens but I would be genuinely surprised if this year of all years against a back to back cup winning team, this would be when they do it.
Before they went back to back they were swept by Columbus. I feel like people forget that, but they are beatable and they won’t be as hungry as the leafs. That’s what I’m clinging to lol

Reactions: banks

mapleleafs34

Apr 7, 2011
Does that not sum up the Leafs for ya though? When we expect them to win and dominate, they lose. When we expect them to lose or get dominated, they win. :laugh:

29Potvin

Jan 27, 2012
London Ontario

The Leafs and Lightning combined for 114 penalty minutes in their last meeting on April 21 in Tampa. Sheldon Keefe believes that's a taste of what to expect in the playoffs.

"They are a team that is going to be very physical and competitive," the Leafs coach said. "When I look at their playoffs — especially in the first round last year — they definitely led the league in skirmishes after the whistle. I expect it to be a very physical, borderline violent series in a lot of ways. Our guys will be ready for that."

Jon Cooper chuckled when informed of Keefe's "borderline violent" comment.

"The first round is always chaos," the Lightning coach said. "It's organized chaos. The guys are pumped up."

Cooper points out that players are often as healthy as they're going to be during the run and usually amp up their intensity by an extra five to 10 per cent.

"We've kind of been through all the wars," Cooper continued. "Just rewind the tape to when we played Florida. It was two cars going 100 miles an hour right at each other and it was who's going to flinch first."
I think if you read Coopers comments that would give you the reason we are starting Clifford is in tonight.
I agree the Spezza should be in the lineup ahead of him but for the opening game of the series and the Leafs having last change its the right move.

Reactions: ToneDog

Jarqui

Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
I believe the reason Keefe mentions the potential violence is to get the leagues officiating focus on this series. The worst thing for us is if the refs swallow their whistles. If Keefe can manage to generate a desire from the league to consider calling the series tight as some sort of preemptive strike to fend off the supposed violence, we benefit.
I'm doubtful that this ploy works but i understand the reasoning and commend the effort.
I had a somewhat similar reaction though I was just wondering about that being the reason. If the officials are a little more jumpy to keep a lid on the series, that plays into the Leafs having stronger special teams.

I think the Leafs match up pretty well against the past champs. The key player for me is Jack Campbell. Statement of the obvious: if he plays well, they've got a good shot.

Budz22

Sep 18, 2018
image.jpg

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Before they went back to back they were swept by Columbus. I feel like people forget that, but they are beatable and they won’t be as hungry as the leafs. That’s what I’m clinging to lol

Dave Randorf was saying this morning on Fan590 how they decided they needed to stop playing run and gun after that loss and that they moved to playing a heavier game. Now way we can match their heavy game so we will need to outskill them and our PP to be productive early so it will deter them from any shenanigans IMO. After listening to Randorf talking about Vasi, Price was nothing last year.

Reactions: ShaneFalco

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Dave Randorf was saying this morning on Fan590 how they decided they needed to stop playing run and gun after that loss and that they moved to playing a heavier game. Now way we can match their heavy game so we will need to outskill them and our PP to be productive early so it will deter them from any shenanigans IMO. After listening to Randorf talking about Vasi, Price was nothing last year.
Vasi has the ability to be the difference in this series, there's no doubt about that. He gets dialed in and he's quite hard to beat. But he's still human and can't stop everything.

Reactions: Pi and ToneDog

PekingDuck

Oct 2, 2014
Sorry to inteude, but I'm here looking for a few pointers if anyone can help. I'm landing in Toronto today for the first time from Melbourne (Aus).

I'm not a Toronto fan, but it's always been a dream to see a playoffs game here. If anyone can let me know the best way to get a ticket for tonight and then following that what time they'd recommend getting to the game tonight, that would be much appreciated.

Looking forward to the game and go Leafs!

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Sorry to inteude, but I'm here looking for a few pointers if anyone can help. I'm landing in Toronto today for the first time from Melbourne (Aus).

I'm not a Toronto fan, but it's always been a dream to see a playoffs game here. If anyone can let me know the best way to get a ticket for tonight and then following that what time they'd recommend getting to the game tonight, that would be much appreciated.

At this point, Ticketmaster or Stubhub would be your best bet. Prices are going to be wild

Reactions: PekingDuck

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Ladies and Gents...my outfit for today, should fit in nicely in all the corporate zoom calls

leafs.jpg

edit - oops meant for the game day thread

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

A single ticket shouldn’t be too bad. Check Ticketmaster as close to game time as you can for the best deal. .
I’d suggest pull the trigger by 7:15 so you have time to get in and find your seat.

Enjoy the game, it will be insane.

Reactions: Rob Brown

banks

W W W 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Aug 29, 2019
Washington looked like Cup contenders for a few years, and kept getting bounced. Then, on a season when they looked innocuous, they won the Cup. Teams can eventually break through, and there may not be any way to explain when and why.

This season the Leafs have a tougher matchup in round 1. But with a history of playing up to their opponent, I think they can take this.

I'll be marking off every playoff win with my status message thingy (under the user name). Starts with 1, ends at win 16.

Go Leafs Go!

PekingDuck

Oct 2, 2014
A single ticket shouldn’t be too bad. Check Ticketmaster as close to game time as you can for the best deal. .
I’d suggest pull the trigger by 7:15 so you have time to get in and find your seat.

Enjoy the game, it will be insane.
Really appreciate the help, thank you. I can't wait!

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Rather Spezza than Clifford. I really like what Blackwell brings.
You can see Leafs brain-trust evolving from an all speed skating team with high-end skill to a real hockey team preparing for a playoff battle, recognizing this is going to be a hard-nosed series. :thumbu:

Clifford IN over Spezza (who actually was among Leafs better players in last years playoffs), wasn't something we would have seen in the past.

In fact after dealing a 3rd for Clifford at past TD they let him walk as UFA, but resigned Spezza. Now they have re-acquired him putting Spezza in the pressbox.

With Simmonds and Clifford partrolling the 4th line the Leafs now have more grit and less talent but ready and preparing for a physical series.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
You can see Leafs brain-trust evolving from an all speed skating team with high-end skill to a real hockey team preparing for a playoff battle, recognizing this is going to be a hard-nosed series. :thumbu:

Clifford IN over Spezza (who actually was among Leafs better players in last years playoffs), wasn't something we would have seen in the past.

In fact after dealing a 3rd for Clifford at past TD they let him walk as UFA, but resigned Spezza. Now they have re-acquired him putting Spezza in the pressbox.
Spezza amazingly I thought was our best player in the playoffs last time, right after michael nylander. I mean william corrected. Campbell (I thought) was the dirty third best of our players behind these ones. This time.... I expect Matthews, Marner and Tavvy be right up there. Hanging from the ceiling.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Spezza amazingly I thought was our best player in the playoffs last time, right after michael nylander. I mean william corrected. Campbell (I thought) was the dirty third best of our players behind these ones. This time.... I expect Matthews, Marner and Tavvy be right up there. Hanging from the ceiling.
Skill vs Skill and Grit vs Grit both teams mean business . Leafs are no longer going to be intimidated physically, and dressing a bigger tougher lineup in hopes it allows Leafs skill players to play bigger with more backbone and not timid and on the perimeter, but go to the net hard and play in traffic and score some greasy goals in this series as well, playing a bigger heavy game.

Reactions: Coachcorner

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
This series will be a massive grind .. it is gonna be fast and furious .. D are gonna get puck out of each end fast .. Tampa has size and speed advantage .. we have da skill advantage .. there will be big hits all game long .. expecting a 0-0 or a 1-1 type game with limited real chances .. both tenders should play well although both can be real iffy .. should be a couple decent fights .. expecting refs to throw whistles away and let boys play .. expect a borderline violent game .. likely ending in OT .. hope we can find da winner .. but expect an amazing game of old fashioned hockey without da stick swinging .. our core needs to participate and not be passengers

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
On the train on the way up. The AC is broken. I’m fighting for my life rn… still pumped to be in the SBA for the game tonight

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Skill vs Skill and Grit vs Grit both teams mean business . Leafs are no longer going to be intimidated physically, and dressing a bigger tougher lineup in hopes it allows Leafs skill players to play bigger with more backbone and not timid and on the perimeter, but go to the net hard and play in traffic and score some greasy goals in this series as well, playing a bigger heavy game.
You already knew sire. :clap: I'm more ready for these playoffs too than even before. Well... those pat quinn playoffs and for that team, I was well prepared too. Also for that carlyle team vs boston. But now.... like you stated and made notes: Our has it ALL. Grease, and talented (scoring power). These are going to be so EXCITING this time! :clap: :leafs: And fun too, entertainment like in the age of gladiators.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad