Pre-Game Talk: Playoffs (monday) game 1 Toronto Maple Leafs vs Tampa Bay Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Johnsson played well coming back and Robertson didn't do much that series.
I mean AJ played one game in that series and didn't look great when he drew in. Unless maybe you are referring to not the bubble year.

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019

Hmm would really like to see Spezza get in at some point and Blackwell has been a bit underwhelming since the trade. Otherwise the lineup looks good.

I think he chose the best top 6 D to start and am glad that they're not trying to force Sandin back into the lineup. His poor foot speed cost us game 1 last year and I'm not sure his pro's outweigh that in a potentially tight checking series. Also having to watch Justin "literally Bobby Orr" Holl pinch vs the Lightning might actually kill me.

SoftDumpNtheCorner88

Jul 5, 2020
Should we just sit Kase out tbh? I feel injecting a "new" player into the lineup will mess something up... I recall this same thing with Johansson a few years back and benching a good playing Robertson.
Surprised to see Kase slotted in Game 1, I was thinking he'd be a good option if someone gets injured or plays poorly.

We've seen players rust if they haven't played in awhile I wonder if Kase will feel that and on the playoffs there's no time to find out.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
keefe channeling his inner Cersei Lannister ('i choose violence!')
Im is getting a real dark, juicy sigar on this gezame number one sire. 🔥 We will G this thang up like the best of them.
Post automatically merged:

Untimely penalties incoming. Simmonds and Clifford in the lineup at the same time is a disaster waiting to happen.
That dirty 4th line will be eatin noses and ears off like tyson sire. They gangsta with the best of them. You'll be thankin keefe come tomorrow time sire. With all the blood shed there.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Can't agree with Clifford over Spezza when Spezza has been a guy who always scores key goals for us when we are in the mud and can't get anything going.

Clifford is more likely to take dumb penalties than do anything productive.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Can't agree with Clifford over Spezza when Spezza has been a guy who always scores key goals for us when we are in the mud and can't get anything going.

Feels like when we dressed Nash last year in Game 1. Just overthinking the series.

Reactions: Pi

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Feels like when we dressed Nash last year in Game 1. Just overthinking the series.

Yeah. Thankfully the 4th line in the playoffs usually have diminished roles but I still would only feel comfortable with them on the ice against their 4th line.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
Spezza hasn’t exactly looked like himself. If he was playing like last season then yes that decision would be awful, but the reality is he isn’t and Clifford brings an element the team needs in a series like this despite him likely contributing nothing to drive play for us.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
I have a feeling we’re going to put Tampa away in stunning fashion. Like in 5-6 games. This is a hard matchup, but I feel this is the year. I think the team knows this. Tampa is an older team that’s played a ton of hockey and lost some key pieces. They’re fat and happy and our team should be desperate because this could be the last kick at the can with all of this core in place.

• Love
Reactions: Auston 316

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Spezza hasn’t exactly looked like himself. If he was playing like last season then yes that decision would be awful, but the reality is he isn’t and Clifford brings an element the team needs in a series like this despite him likely contributing nothing to drive play for us.
I keep hearing we need this element, but do we forget that we lost with a better version of him vs. clb? Or that Simmonds physical play had zero impact on the Habs series?

We need pushback throughout the lineup and composed players who won't do something stupid when they get called soft. Clifford's looked better than expected, but he's still light years behind the current Spezza for me.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
This that real dirt. :clap: :clap: :leafs: WE IN HERE. The legendary Toronto Maple Leafs havent been this ready for the playoffs, since the Pat Quinn days and that Randy Carlyle hard and heavy team a few years ago. Those teams, were G. But this team right now..................... It got the talent and now it got the will. This team GANGSTA. For life now. We have gotten our identity back and now fight and rumble unda presha. We is not crumbling this time. Our game has elevated to a nother level. Of sanity.
Dirt has never been so real.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

The Leafs and Lightning combined for 114 penalty minutes in their last meeting on April 21 in Tampa. Sheldon Keefe believes that's a taste of what to expect in the playoffs.

"They are a team that is going to be very physical and competitive," the Leafs coach said. "When I look at their playoffs — especially in the first round last year — they definitely led the league in skirmishes after the whistle. I expect it to be a very physical, borderline violent series in a lot of ways. Our guys will be ready for that."

Jon Cooper chuckled when informed of Keefe's "borderline violent" comment.

"The first round is always chaos," the Lightning coach said. "It's organized chaos. The guys are pumped up."

Cooper points out that players are often as healthy as they're going to be during the run and usually amp up their intensity by an extra five to 10 per cent.

"We've kind of been through all the wars," Cooper continued. "Just rewind the tape to when we played Florida. It was two cars going 100 miles an hour right at each other and it was who's going to flinch first."

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Surprised to see Kase slotted in Game 1, I was thinking he'd be a good option if someone gets injured or plays poorly.

We've seen players rust if they haven't played in awhile I wonder if Kase will feel that and on the playoffs there's no time to find out.
I'll take Kase... it's Spezza or Abruzzese with a side order of Blackwell too far up the lineup if not Kase. Wish Bunting was here too but getting one of those guys is big.

Let's go!

Im is getting a real dark, juicy sigar on this gezame number one sire. 🔥 We will G this thang up like the best of them.

That dirty 4th line will be eatin noses and ears off like tyson sire. They gangsta with the best of them. You'll be thankin keefe come tomorrow time sire. With all the blood shed there.
I for one am ready to have some ears and noses chewed off. Especially Perry's.

Reactions: Coachcorner

budzz

History is just that.
Jan 26, 2015
One thing I worry about is their goons running Campbell. If he gets smacked and our Number 1 becomes Kallgren, it's a different series. I think their goons know this too. Anyone gets near our goalie make them bleed.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON

Agree entirely. Spezza's invested a ton in this organization the past couple years, and has come up big at key moments - and he even dropped the gloves in the bubble to boot, for people who put stock in that. I don't know what argument you can make for Clifford over Spezza.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Should we just sit Kase out tbh? I feel injecting a "new" player into the lineup will mess something up... I recall this same thing with Johansson a few years back and benching a good playing Robertson.
Johnsson had come back from knee surgery opposed to a concussion; might be a little out of rhythm but should be less fatigued too.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
I was hoping we'd play Boston just so I can see the iconic Phil Kessel tossing the bear gif

What's the TBL gif going to be?

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Spezza will get his time in the lineup, depending on the outcome in game one, there will be lineup changes throughout out the series.

You're gonna see bunting,spezza,holl all come into the lineup at some point during the series.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Once I heard TB dressed all their players in the last game, they made it clear they wanted the Leafs. This is the buds chance to shove it down everyone’s throats. No excuses for haters. I have waited 12 months for this. Lets go !!

Reactions: PanniniClaus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad