Playoffs Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
No way to 3 on 3 in the playoffs. The only thing I might be ok with is 4 on 4, AFTER the 2nd OT.

I know they want to end more games in OT, without adding too much additional time in the regular season, but IMO, it should be 4 on 4 instead or before its 3 on 3.

Go 4 min (4's) + 3 min (3's) then a 5 guy shootout

213 Sentinel

Jul 2, 2006
Marysville, Ohio
Changing topics but still post-season hockey. San Diego and Bakersfield just played 125 minutes of hockey to settle one playoff game (into OT4). I am not a fan...the players are exhausted so the product isn't as good, I have to believe most fans simply want a resolution at some point and you know its has to affect the quality of play in the next game two days later.

I propose the leagues play 5v5 in OT1 but if it goes past that they should switch to 4v4 (or 3v3) for OT2 and beyond. Thoughts?
Absolutely not. This is how you get the abomination of a shootout. No.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I'd be willing to go to 4 on 4 OT after the third overtime (with exception to non-elimination games.) No 3on3 though. It's entertaining and belongs in the regular season but that would feel like an ultra shitty way to lose a game.

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
Im convinced that if our guys stop f***ing around and start playing again then they can easily force game 7.

And Torts ffs let them rest today.

Reactions: leesmith

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Wearing my Bob T-shirt jersey today and planning to wear my Panarin one tomorrow. My way of saying thank you and goodbye.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I want the Jackets to play more aggressively except for when Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak are on the ice. They shouldn't be risky against them, and they shouldn't sit back against the other lines. The ultra safe play in this series (obviously not including the last 10 minutes last night) feels like a waste of talent for the Jackets.

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
I agree with MM,the ultra safe strategy Torts used in Game 5 was both boring and a failed waste of talent. Torts has hurt the team during this series.

Luckily theres one more chance to undo the damage.

Game 7 will be the most brutal thing we have ever watched. And game 7 is coming.

Reactions: The Bread Man

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
Sens fan coming in peace. I didn't give a f*** about the draft pick, I really wanted you guys to come out of the east. You guys have a very likeable team and should be proud of the steps forward this year. I hope you guys have a good off season and are able to re-sign your boys.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Ignoring all the facts for a second and just taking it all in. The playoffs was a failure. This team, on its face at least, should have won the Metro or at least been in contention for it. I think we could have beaten Pittsburgh/NYI in a series and Carolina as well. Washington would have been a toss up. The roster put together after the deadline was on paper right there with Boston and Toronto for 2nd best in the East. You don't go all in for a second round exit. A second round exit isn't great.

But when you put the facts in, and everything about the team. I think the postseason was a success. It's hard to call the first ever series win by the franchise a failure, and obviously not ending in the result we wanted, but we had to integrate 3 new players into the lineup and get them on board a moving train. If Duchene and Dzingel were here for the whole season I think we would have finished better, and maybe Dzingel would have been able to integrate into the team and have Torts learn him a bit better. He was wasted here. The whole Panarin/Bob drama did affect the team, I don't care what they say, it's human for them and the others to have it in the back of their mind. The first round sweep is something never to be forgotten here, especially against a team like Tampa Bay. It's something I will always appreciate and remember even when we have more success one day (hopefully at least). If you told me before the season started that we would win a round, I would have been happy with that. Even though it is disappointing we spent so much draft capital and prospects going all in to fall way short of the goal, it is still better than anything we've had before. So I am okay with it.

And no, this isn't accepting mediocrity. It's just taking what life gives you. Jarmo got the pieces in place, it just didn't jell well until the end of the season and into the playoffs. Losing to Boston isn't anything to sniff at. Hell, they'll probably win the cup. Hopefully our young players like PLD, Anderson, Bjork, Werenski, Gavrikov, Texier, and others use it as fuel to be our best players and be the next star here.

Reactions: Irina and Viqsi

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Ignoring all the facts for a second and just taking it all in. The playoffs was a failure. This team, on its face at least, should have won the Metro or at least been in contention for it. I think we could have beaten Pittsburgh/NYI in a series and Carolina as well. Washington would have been a toss up. The roster put together after the deadline was on paper right there with Boston and Toronto for 2nd best in the East. You don't go all in for a second round exit. A second round exit isn't great.

But when you put the facts in, and everything about the team. I think the postseason was a success. It's hard to call the first ever series win by the franchise a failure, and obviously not ending in the result we wanted, but we had to integrate 3 new players into the lineup and get them on board a moving train. If Duchene and Dzingel were here for the whole season I think we would have finished better, and maybe Dzingel would have been able to integrate into the team and have Torts learn him a bit better. He was wasted here. The whole Panarin/Bob drama did affect the team, I don't care what they say, it's human for them and the others to have it in the back of their mind. The first round sweep is something never to be forgotten here, especially against a team like Tampa Bay. It's something I will always appreciate and remember even when we have more success one day (hopefully at least). If you told me before the season started that we would win a round, I would have been happy with that. Even though it is disappointing we spent so much draft capital and prospects going all in to fall way short of the goal, it is still better than anything we've had before. So I am okay with it.

And no, this isn't accepting mediocrity. It's just taking what life gives you. Jarmo got the pieces in place, it just didn't jell well until the end of the season and into the playoffs. Losing to Boston isn't anything to sniff at. Hell, they'll probably win the cup. Hopefully our young players like PLD, Anderson, Bjork, Werenski, Gavrikov, Texier, and others use it as fuel to be our best players and be the next star here.

If one feels like they went "all in" I can understand why the only measure of success would be winning the Cup. I don't feel they went all in.

In other words, I basically feel like you do but moreso. I'm very happy with the progress of the team and the direction in which it's going. This post-season is easily the most fun I've ever had watching CBJ hockey on TV. I want more!

Reactions: thebus88

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
For me its quite simple: Rask was brilliant. Most CBJ players didnt show up, while some were contra productive and played way below their ability. It was a deserved loss.

Reactions: thebus88

MisterT

Nov 29, 2006
Congrats on a great season and I hope you find a way to retain your core as the potential is there for a Cup.

hacknwack

Apr 6, 2019
Canes fan here. I feel bummed. It seemed like we were destined to meet at the ECF's. It was such an entertaining playoff race for a few months. I know things are bittersweet. On one hand you moved all in at the trade deadline but sort of came up short when you look at the cost. But on the other hand...you made a hell of a push to squeak in the playoffs and then you sweep the Lightning and won your first series.

I thought the BJs were going to take down Boston too. I know you guys put a lot of your heart behind this team...which is why the atmosphere looked awesome. Maybe we can meet in the POs next season.

Anyway I cordially invite the great Blue Jackets fans to root with us against Boston next round.

Cheers.

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
Canes fan here. I feel bummed. It seemed like we were destined to meet at the ECF's. It was such an entertaining playoff race for a few months. I know things are bittersweet. On one hand you moved all in at the trade deadline but sort of came up short when you look at the cost. But on the other hand...you made a hell of a push to squeak in the playoffs and then you sweep the Lightning and won your first series.

I thought the BJs were going to take down Boston too. I know you guys put a lot of your heart behind this team...which is why the atmosphere looked awesome. Maybe we can meet in the POs next season.

Anyway I cordially invite the great Blue Jackets fans to root with us against Boston next round.

Cheers.

I think its mostly Boston fans who will support the team which has Marchand in it. While by far most others will puke at the idea of Boston winning it all again.

I hope the Canes take it all or any team from the West. Although ideally I hope that this year's cup goes to the team that has never won it in its history. Like lets say the Blues maybe the Sharks

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009

Cheers.

Beat those mother f***ers.

Reactions: hacknwack
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad