Playoff Watch WC2: COL & MIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
Let me start with I hate losing, and even more poor attitudes. I would rather compete and have good team play and growth than riding a hot hand, goalie or other into the post season, without correcting poor behavior. If we beet Nashville and Mini, sweep those games.. which looks dim as we struggled against both so far, we should make the playoffs... we will see.

I do not think we are fully developed, but we have seen some remarkable finds.. ie Beach and Soda... so this last couple of weeks... with or without the playoffs , have the avs poised to continue to develop team chemistry which was non existent at the seasons start.

Can we? same as before.. win and we are in.... heck the Broncos backed into the playoffs and won the big one....

Foppa Frossa

May 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I think it will come down to Varly's performance down the stretch. Like Roy has said before, we need him to be our best player.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I think it will come down to Varly's performance down the stretch. Like Roy has said before, we need him to be our best player.

I actually really hope they don't try to ride him too hard down the stretch. Pickard has proven that he's a very good goalie in big games and Varly this season has struggled whenever Roy overextends him for a couple of games too long. We can't afford to have him **** the bed for even two or three games just because we didn't rest him. Better to let Pickard preemptively take a few games than lose some because Varley gets worn out.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
Win either one of Ducks games that last round of the regular season is brutal minny faces calgary while we stand against anaheim

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
Plot twist: Avs and wild both make the playoffs and St. Louis implodes as usual and ends up on the outside looking :sarcasm: ?

Kschey

Avs/BorussiaDortmund
Jul 4, 2010
I actually really hope they don't try to ride him too hard down the stretch. Pickard has proven that he's a very good goalie in big games and Varly this season has struggled whenever Roy overextends him for a couple of games too long. We can't afford to have him **** the bed for even two or three games just because we didn't rest him. Better to let Pickard preemptively take a few games than lose some because Varley gets worn out.

I remember that one game against I believe Detroit he won in the shootout. He looked super exhausted, had a hard time coming back up after every shootout attempt. I was praying Roy would give him a rest the following game but he didn't and Varly gave up two goals on two shots on goal before being pulled. IIRC that was against Buffalo, and we ended up losing that game.

You're right. Roy needs to be better handling Varly. He likes those games when he faces 40 shots but even he'll be tired sooner or later.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
Plot twist: Avs and wild both make the playoffs and St. Louis implodes as usual and ends up on the outside looking :sarcasm: ?

well, it could be Nash.. they really have struggled this year, going cold for some length.. look good look bad look inept look great

hum .....who else does that sound like ????

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
well, it could be Nash.. they really have struggled this year, going cold for some length.. look good look bad look inept look great

hum .....who else does that sound like ????

Every playoff-bubble team in every sport since the dawn the time?

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I remember that one game against I believe Detroit he won in the shootout. He looked super exhausted, had a hard time coming back up after every shootout attempt. I was praying Roy would give him a rest the following game but he didn't and Varly gave up two goals on two shots on goal before being pulled. IIRC that was against Buffalo, and we ended up losing that game.

You're right. Roy needs to be better handling Varly. He likes those games when he faces 40 shots but even he'll be tired sooner or later.

That was exactly the pair of games I was thinking about too. Give him a ret every 3-4 games no matter how well he's playing.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Have you guys forgotten that Varly has a tendency to struggle when he misses starts? If he's fit, focused and on form, you ride him like the workhorse that he is.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Have you guys forgotten that Varly has a tendency to struggle when he misses starts? If he's fit, focused and on form, you ride him like the workhorse that he is.

I'm in this boat... if Varly plays well, start him until he doesn't or isn't physically up to playing a good game. Same would go for any other goalie at this point in the season.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I'm in this boat... if Varly plays well, start him until he doesn't or isn't physically up to playing a good game. Same would go for any other goalie at this point in the season.

The problem is, you don't know when he's ready to tank a game until he tanks a game, and then we lose a critical two points we don't have time to make up. Roy needs to do a better job of figuring out when Varley hits that wall and pre-emptively pull him before he has another three goal first period.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
The problem is, you don't know when he's ready to tank a game until he tanks a game, and then we lose a critical two points we don't have time to make up. Roy needs to do a better job of figuring out when Varley hits that wall and pre-emptively pull him before he has another three goal first period.

While I agree that the Buffalo start had me scratching my head, too.....though doesn't Roy defer to Allaire about those kind of decisions?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

Varly has gone stretches of 10+ games without crapping the bed before and he will do it again. Roy and Allaire should be proactive when it looks like he is tired, but beyond that... ride the hot hand (whoever that is). It doesn't matter if it is 3 games or 10 game.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Varly has gone stretches of 10+ games without crapping the bed before and he will do it again. Roy and Allaire should be proactive when it looks like he is tired, but beyond that... ride the hot hand (whoever that is). It doesn't matter if it is 3 games or 10 game.

I'd still be weary of starting Varly in Western Canada lol. It's like the dude has nightmares before playing in Calgary/Vancouver/Edmonton or something

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

I'm in this boat...

Me too. Varlamov has proven in the past that he's capable of carrying the Avalanche. Love what Pickard is bringing to Colorado here early in his career, but Varlamov should be the guy.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I'd still be weary of starting Varly in Western Canada lol. It's like the dude has nightmares before playing in Calgary/Vancouver/Edmonton or something

I think it's going to be very difficult for Colorado (or any team, for that matter) to win 4 consecutive games on the road in March. Varlamov is going to have to be a stud for them to have a shot.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
well that too but I was kinda thinking Avs , no?

Go Avs

Sure, and don't forget the Wild or Blues either.

Huge swings in consistency just come with the territory of being a team that's good enough to get into the playoffs, but not good enough to be a powerhouse.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Sure, and don't forget the Wild or Blues either.

Huge swings in consistency just come with the territory of being a team that's good enough to get into the playoffs, but not good enough to be a powerhouse.

Yep. I'm cautiously optimistic. The guys who are supposed to lead this team are all starting to play pretty well. Landeskog has been excellent lately, Duchene and MacKinnon are playing well also, Varlamov just played two lights out games, and even EJ is doing better in recent games. Keep it going.

They've simply got to figure out Minnesota head-to-head though. 3 games against them and Nashville to go.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Isn't Nurse out as well with a suspension? I wasn't planning on the Oilers winning but I wouldn't mind Nurse laying out some big hits against those christmas trees.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Would love to see McDavid light it up but it's going to be tough since he will be matched against the best defenseman in the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad