Playoff teams

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
You know how terrible look that would be?

A chance at a history and you throw it all away.
It's a tough spot.

On one hand you have a great story, a winning culture, and playoff hockey for new fans. Do you start extending guys instead of losing them?

They have 9 UFA's pending including Neal, Perron, Marchessault and McNabb. I'm sure Neal gets you a first+ and you have to think there are more 2nds in there. Do you give those assets up in exchange for a good story?

I'm sure McPhee wants more 1rst round picks for next draft, we'll see what he does.

Last edited:

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
I also don't think they've played a road game yet....
Holy!! I had to look that one up, but that's a valid point.

The rags have only played 8 road games and have a 3-5 record on the road. In addition, they haven't gone on any big Western road trips yet.

That, coupled with the ultra competitive metro, and I have NYR missing the playoffs.

They seem to be a bit streaky too, and will come back down to earth with an underwhelming roster.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
The nice thing about the Devils is that we've yet to have one game with a full forward lineup.

Boyle and Zajac were missing at the start... now they are back and Mojo and Palmieri are out. Mojo will be back by the end of the week and Palmieri is 3-5 weeks out.

If the team can stay afloat and Shero can work on upgrading the defense, I don't see the playoffs being out of the question.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
They are almost literally one injury away from not being a playoff team. Before they had Turris they weren't a playoff team. They are also winning A LOT of 1 goal games.

Anything can happen. They seem very fragile to me.

LOL- your Preds hate never fails to disappoint. First, I think you need to look up the definition of the word "literally". I also like you have continually change your reasons for discounting them- (now it is one goal games? All righty then- every good team wins a ton of 1 goal games, its what the league is)

So you think Vegas and Vancouver are playoff teams and the Preds are not??

Preds have made the playoffs 3 years in a row. They were one game from making Conference finals two years ago. They were two wins away from winning the cup last year. And this year the Preds have probably have a more talented roster than either of those two teams, and have been without one of their most important players (Ellis). And yet are still are only 4 points from having the best record in the entire NHL. They almost certainly will be even better in the second half when Ellis returns.

You keep discounting them and they keep proving you wrong...........

Will look forward to revisiting this thread in April..............

The Senators Guy

Oct 27, 2017
:O, fun I always love doing this.

WEST:

PACIFIC:

LA Kings (1)
Calgary Flames (2)
Vegas Golden Knights (3)

CENTRAL:

St Louis Blues (1 + West Winner)
Nashville Predators (2)
Dallas Stars (3)

WILDCARD: Edmonton Oilers (1)
Anaheim Ducks (2)

EAST:

ATLANTIC:

Tampa Bay Lightning (1 + East Winner)
Toronto Maple Leafs (2)
Ottawa Senators (3)

METROPOLITAN

Columbus Blue Jackets (1)
Pittsburgh Penguins (2)
New Jersey Devils (3)

WILDCARD: Washington Capitals (1)
Montreal Canadiens (2)

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I have seen enough Yeo coached teams. Just wait for the annual December-January slump. :laugh:
Team...He's coached NHL 1 team prior to the Blues. I'm not saying there wont be a slump because all teams have one. There's more talent with the Blues then he's had before, We'll see I guess.

NASTY

Jul 29, 2016
Atlantic:
1. TBL
2. TOR
3. OTT

Metro:
1. CBJ
2. NYR
3. PIT

WC:
1. WSH
2. NJ

Central:
1. STL
2. NSH
3. DAL

Pacific:
1. LAK
2. CGY
3. VGK

WC:
1. WPG
2. ANA

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
LOL- your Preds hate never fails to disappoint. First, I think you need to look up the definition of the word "literally". I also like you have continually change your reasons for discounting them- (now it is one goal games? All righty then- every good team wins a ton of 1 goal games, its what the league is)

So you think Vegas and Vancouver are playoff teams and the Preds are not??

Preds have made the playoffs 3 years in a row. They were one game from making Conference finals two years ago. They were two wins away from winning the cup last year. And this year the Preds have probably have a more talented roster than either of those two teams, and have been without one of their most important players (Ellis). And yet are still are only 4 points from having the best record in the entire NHL. They almost certainly will be even better in the second half when Ellis returns.

You keep discounting them and they keep proving you wrong...........

Will look forward to revisiting this thread in April..............
So angry.

Calm down. People have opinions. Stranger things have happened.

But you cannot dispute that the Preds were not a playoff team before they had Turris (because that's a fact) and that they win a lot of 1 goal games. They hardly have dominated anyone this year and their place in the standings has a lot more to do with luck and CHI/DAL underperforming.

Yes, I can easily see the Preds getting knocked out. That's my opinion. You don't see me whining and quoting people who don't have the Blues in their standings or the Blues in their top 3 of the Central.

Easy tiger.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I think the Preds will be a playoff team, but they were close to missing last year, even though they went on the run. They'll have to have a better season result to be secure in a playoff spot. I think they're starting to play better, and expect them to be in the top 3 in the division, but I can see how someone would be skeptical.

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
Blues currently #1 in the Power Rankings.

Also leading the league in sauce, boys. They simply just have too much.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Based on what I think over this quarter of the season:

Metropolitan

Columbus Blue Jackets
New York Rangers
New Jersey Devils

Atlantic
Tampa Bay Lightning
Toronto Maple Leafs
Ottawa Senators

EC WC's
New York Islanders
Pittsburgh Penguins

Central

St. Louis Blues
Nashville Predators
Winnipeg Jets

Pacific
Los Angeles Kings
Calgary Flames
San Jose Sharks

WC WC's
Dallas Stars
Chicago Blackhawks

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
So angry.

Calm down. People have opinions. Stranger things have happened.

But you cannot dispute that the Preds were not a playoff team before they had Turris (because that's a fact) and that they win a lot of 1 goal games. They hardly have dominated anyone this year and their place in the standings has a lot more to do with luck and CHI/DAL underperforming.

Yes, I can easily see the Preds getting knocked out. That's my opinion. You don't see me whining and quoting people who don't have the Blues in their standings or the Blues in their top 3 of the Central.

Easy tiger.

Just now catching up on this thread, sorry for the delay in responding. Listen, just so we are clear- I am not angry or upset at all. This is all just good natured banter for me. Not whining, not upset at all. I seriously have some admiration for you sticking to your guns about the Preds no matter what. I enjoy going back and forth with you- this is after all, a discussion board.

I realize I am completely biased as a Preds fan, but I am genuinely fascinated by your opinions on the Preds. Even as a biased fan, I don't see how anyone can logically sit here and look at this Predators team and think that they aren't even a playoff team. We are sitting here with the 2nd best record in the entire league and will be adding one of our top players back in about 3 weeks. (And to say they weren't a playoff team before Turris is a little silly. Preds were 8-5-2 before the Turris trade, not exactly terrible)

I keep hearing people say the Preds just got hot in the playoffs and it was a fluke. I keep going back to this, but since the midway point of last season, when they finally got rolling, they are 55-28-8 including the playoffs. That is almost 100 games and about a 110 point pace. This isn't a team that got on some fluke unsustainable hot streak.

Do I think it is impossible for them to miss the playoffs? Absolutely not, because the Central division is absolutely ridiculous. There is going to be 1 very good team that is guaranteed to miss.

Again, not upset, just having some good conversation- we will revisit this in April.........

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Just now catching up on this thread, sorry for the delay in responding. Listen, just so we are clear- I am not angry or upset at all. This is all just good natured banter for me. Not whining, not upset at all. I seriously have some admiration for you sticking to your guns about the Preds no matter what. I enjoy going back and forth with you- this is after all, a discussion board.

I realize I am completely biased as a Preds fan, but I am genuinely fascinated by your opinions on the Preds. Even as a biased fan, I don't see how anyone can logically sit here and look at this Predators team and think that they aren't even a playoff team. We are sitting here with the 2nd best record in the entire league and will be adding one of our top players back in about 3 weeks. (And to say they weren't a playoff team before Turris is a little silly. Preds were 8-5-2 before the Turris trade, not exactly terrible)

I keep hearing people say the Preds just got hot in the playoffs and it was a fluke. I keep going back to this, but since the midway point of last season, when they finally got rolling, they are 55-28-8 including the playoffs. That is almost 100 games and about a 110 point pace. This isn't a team that got on some fluke unsustainable hot streak.

Do I think it is impossible for them to miss the playoffs? Absolutely not, because the Central division is absolutely ridiculous. There is going to be 1 very good team that is guaranteed to miss.

Again, not upset, just having some good conversation- we will revisit this in April.........
Hey thanks for being respectful at least. I try to do that. Honestly, they are looking better and better to me. I didn't see their offseason as anything fantastic, in fact I thought they got worse. And they weren't playing well before they got Turris. They are indeed winning a lot of 1g games and I just think an injury to a big time player on their team will be detrimental to them. I honestly (not trying to troll at all) think their D is overrated. Statistically they are fairly average. I honestly think the Blues or Ducks could have gone to the finals last season. Preds again won a lot of 1g games. But those were the results and they deserved to be there. They just seem super fragile to me but I have to hand it to them, they hang in there and win games. So to me it's more of some unspeakable mojo that they have going for them than anything else... Oh, and Rinne. :laugh:

I don't see it as unsustainable at all really, as odd as that may sound. They have chemistry and lots of it. The thrive in close games and maybe that's it? They do what they do very well. Again though, just seems fragile to me. I will probably be wrong but taking a shot in the dark. It's been a while since I posted that and very slowly my mind is starting to think if the Preds are for real... my logic (read: opinion) says they aren't as good as people think they are. I have been wrong before many times. Heck, I am a Blues fan. I pretty much live my life in the hockey world laying down getting kicked by other teams and their fans.

MajorLeafsFan

Jul 19, 2017
East

1. Tampa Bay
2. Columbus
3. NY Islanders
4. Toronto
5. New Jersey
6. Montreal
7. Washington
8. Pittsburgh

West

1. Winnipeg
2. Nashville
3. Los Angeles
4. St. Louis
5. San Jose
6. Calgary
7. Dallas
8. Vegas

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
East

1. Tampa Bay
2. Columbus
3. NY Islanders
4. Toronto
5. New Jersey
6. Montreal
7. Washington
8. Pittsburgh

West

1. Winnipeg
2. Nashville
3. Los Angeles
4. St. Louis
5. San Jose
6. Calgary
7. Dallas
8. Vegas
Love you man !
I just hope Helle continues his stellar play , as a Jets fan this is uncharted territory.
Feels good

MajorLeafsFan

Jul 19, 2017
Love you man !
I just hope Helle continues his stellar play , as a Jets fan this is uncharted territory.
Feels good
Lol my SIDE SIDE job is being a Jets fan (after Toronto and Dallas), so I'm proud the Jets are doing so well this year

naruto

Nov 13, 2017
Tampa
Toronto
Boston

Columbus
Pittsburgh
Isles
New Jersey
Washington

St. Louis
Nashville
Winnipeg
Minnesota

San Jose
Vegas
Los Angeles
Calgary

The Atlantic doesn't deserve three spots. That's a ridiculously bad division after Tampa and, to some extent, Toronto.

Toronto deserves their spot.

randomhockeyfan

Sep 23, 2016
:O, fun I always love doing this.

WEST:

PACIFIC:

LA Kings (1)
Calgary Flames (2)
Vegas Golden Knights (3)

CENTRAL:

St Louis Blues (1 + West Winner)
Nashville Predators (2)
Dallas Stars (3)

WILDCARD: Edmonton Oilers (1)
Anaheim Ducks (2)

EAST:

ATLANTIC:

Tampa Bay Lightning (1 + East Winner)
Toronto Maple Leafs (2)
Ottawa Senators (3)

METROPOLITAN

Columbus Blue Jackets (1)
Pittsburgh Penguins (2)
New Jersey Devils (3)

WILDCARD: Washington Capitals (1)
Montreal Canadiens (2)

Bud, the Pacific ain't getting both of the wild card spots, that's laughable. Even more of a joke when you put in Edmonton as the WC1.

Last edited:

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
I don't see the top 3 in the metro changing this season.
Unlikely that it stays as is. Pittsburgh, Washington, and NYR are the only teams to have ever finished top 2 in the Metro since its inception. I would bet at least one of them if not two end up in the top 3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad