Playoff race.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
Across all sports past scoring differential is a solid predictor of future results. In baseball they talk about Pythagorean wins but it is one of the few stats with transferability across sports. Winning by a lot, often, generally means you will keep winning.

A good way you can leverage this: number 1 seeds in the NCAA tourney that don’t win via blowout the first two rounds usually get upset before the final four.

This sounds like a chapelle skit
Of course they do

Reactions: Summer Rose

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
As a Rangers fan, Tampa is the one team I do NOT want to face in the first round. Really hoping either the Rangers jump FLA/BOS and face the lower WC, or Tampa falls down.

This probably won't make you feel any better, but we don't really wanna face you guys either. Our playoff history against you is good, but we've failed to go on and win the Cup afterwards both times. We're much happier facing the Islanders...we've never won the Cup without beating the Islanders at some point.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
This probably won't make you feel any better, but we don't really wanna face you guys either. Our playoff history against you is good, but we've failed to go on and win the Cup afterwards both times. We're much happier facing the Islanders...we've never won the Cup without beating the Islanders at some point.

I was hoping for a compliment but got superstition, lol.

It’s been a pretty standard start for the last 10 games really.

I don’t care if Larkin is only 50% healthy, get him some shifts. He would require a full leg to be amputated to be as bad as certain players

Is Larkin the love child of Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr, and Jesus Christ? How could one man's injury sink a team to these levels? I would think that this is closer to correlation than causation.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I was hoping for a compliment but got superstition, lol.

Is Larkin the love child of Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr, and Jesus Christ? How could one man's injury sink a team to these levels? I would think that this is closer to correlation than causation.
When he’s the only top 6C the team has and because of his injury Czarnik is actually getting shifts with Kane and Debrincat then yeah, it makes a really big difference

They’re like 4-12 when he’s been out of the lineup or something like that

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Everyone in the media keeps saying how the Leafs are basically locked into the 3rd spot in the Atlantic, but they're only 4 points ahead of Tampa with 2 head to head games left. They're also 8 points behind Boston and Florida with a game in hand against the Panthers (plus 2 head to head) and 2 against the Bruins. Suddenly getting cold or hot for the last dozen games could easily see them move up a spot or down to the wild card.

They're 11 ahead of Detroit and 10 ahead of Washington so it would take a pretty spectacular collapse to actually fall out of the playoffs, but I see no reason why WC1 should be considered off the table and Atlantic 2 (or even 1) is theoretically possible although pretty unlikely.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
This has to be the most pathetic race I've ever seen in the East. It's like nobody wants to make it.

There is one team that is really motivated to get it, but people are too hung up on the goal differential to see it.

The Caps have a 13-8-2 record since the All-Star break, with a goal differential of +4. If they end up making it, it's not only well deserved, but they have the potential to be dangerous.

With Lindgren playing fantastic hockey, they could be this year's version of the 2010 Montreal Canadiens. A team with low expectations/pressure and a red hot goaltender can be trouble.

Reactions: trick9

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
1711505193059.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad