Playoff race.

Kuz

May 11, 2015
Looking at it now, to me looks like Detroit, Philly, and Washington will miss, NYI and Pittsburgh will sneak in. Pittsburgh all of a sudden has gotten hot. Big win against Washington last night
Still Pittsburgh have a very hard schedule left (Boston, Tampa, Toronto, Nashville, Detroit and Isles) average of 0.604 and they need to get more points than Flyers who have 0.521 (Columbus, Montreal, New Jersey, Buffalo, Washington and Rangers). Then Isles have 0.584, Caps 0.575 and Detroit 0.550 in strength of schedule.

Reactions: IslesNbeer

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Looked like Philly had a playoff spot wrapped up. Now looks like 5 teams fighting for 2 spots. Pitt and the Islanders made up some ground fast.

george14

Mar 9, 2014
Detroit, MI
Still Pittsburgh have a very hard schedule left (Boston, Tampa, Toronto, Nashville, Detroit and Isles) average of 0.604 and they need to get more points than Flyers who have 0.521 (Columbus, Montreal, New Jersey, Buffalo, Washington and Rangers). Then Isles have 0.584, Caps 0.575 and Detroit 0.550 in strength of schedule.
True but the trends are important; PHI and WSH are freefalling during the most important part of the season while PIT are on fire. Still a decent amount of games to be played though. Teams will win and lose and fans will declare the season is over but wait we still have a chance.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Every team needs to start winning games, preferably in regulation against others in the race.

That being said someone is going to get in with the help of loser points.

Thanks, Gary.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

It's always hard this time to predict based on strength of schedule. How many times do we see Teams that are out of the playoffs look like world beaters(basically much easier to play when there is no pressure you HAVE to win the game) this time of year while teams that are at the top of the division having an off night

Reactions: hn777

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Every team needs to start winning games, preferably in regulation against others in the race.

Thanks, Gary.
The Islanders have been the kings of the loser point for what? 3 or 4 seasons now?

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Would fine if the Penguins and/or the Flyers sneak in despite having the two worst power plays in the entire league.

The Real JT

Louie louie, oh no, me gotta go
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut

Thanks, Gary.

The Islanders have been the kings of the loser point for what? 3 or 4 seasons now?
I hate the loser point as much as anyone else, but I’m definitely calling BS on the analysis targeting the Islanders.

Here’s the latest tally on loser points for the Eastern Conference teams that are currently in a playoff spot:

Boston 23
Florida 21
Toronto 19
Rangers 20
Carolina 21
Philly 19
Tampa 13
Islanders 17

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
I actually don't mind the tougher schedule, it will keep them engaged. They've beaten a lot of good teams this year and crapped out against bad teams.

One advantage the pens have is they have the tiebreaker (RW) over every team ahead of them.

Reactions: wetcoast

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
I hate the loser point as much as anyone else, but I’m definitely calling BS on the analysis targeting the Islanders.

Here’s the latest tally on loser points for the Eastern Conference teams that are currently in a playoff spot:

Boston 23
Florida 21
Toronto 19
Rangers 20
Carolina 21
Philly 19
Tampa 13
Islanders 17
I mean, I could understand challenging my notion about the Islanders having the most loser points over the last 3 or 4 years, but what kind of math did you use to get the stats above? Boston and the Islanders are showing 15 loser points each for this season.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Ask the fans who know the team the best....we aren't making it!!

Just like last season, they turn it on too little, way too late. Maybe if they started playing this way in October and stuck with it they would be where TB or TOR are. We should have a banner in the rafters- "Sabres hockey- There's always next season". Seems to be the mantra of this franchise
There are several shitty teams in this east snail race . And then below those insufferable is the Sabres.
Next year.

Givememoneyback

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007

Boston 23
Florida 21
Toronto 19
Rangers 20
Carolina 21
Philly 19
Tampa 13
Islanders 17
Not sure where you got those numbers from. If you are including points for shootout wins, which it seems is possible, Florida would have 11, the Rangers 10, and Carolina 11.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
An interesting sub plot here is that the Bruins are making a late charge for the #1 seed. There’s a 9 or 10 point gap, depending on the outcomes tonight, between WC1 and WC2. The Rangers have something meaningful to play for and they have games against Detroit, Philadelphia and the Isles (x2).

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Not sure where you got those numbers from. If you are including points for shootout wins, which it seems is possible, Florida would have 11, the Rangers 10, and Carolina 11.
Not sure either on calculation, I thought at first it was OTL plus SOL But for Boston that is 15 + 3 = 18

ESPN lists shoot out records as well.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
One point for the regulation tie. Bonus point for the gimmick win. If they were better at gimmick hockey-related activities, they’d easily be in a spot.
Ya they have 19 loser points, 15 from losing in OT and 4 loser points for shootout losses.

Reactions: danny90

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad