Series Talk: Playoff Qualifier Series: Minnesota Wild vs Vancouver Canucks (VAN wins 3-1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Donato-Staal-Fiala
Greenway-Galchenyuk-Zuccarello
Parise-Ek-Kunin
Foligno-Koivu-Hartman

Suter-Spurgeon
Brodin-Dumba
Soucy-Addison/Menell

Or swap Greenway and Donato if you feel so inclined.

And give up on the whole 1st line, 2nd line, 3rd line thing. We don't really have the personnel to roll lines like that. Just because Zuccarello is listed on the "third line" doesn't mean he's necessarily going to be given 12 minutes vs. Kunin's 15 vs. Fiala's 18.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Donato-Staal-Fiala
Greenway-Galchenyuk-Zuccarello
Parise-Ek-Kunin
Foligno-Koivu-Hartman

Suter-Spurgeon
Brodin-Dumba
Soucy-Addison/Menell

Or swap Greenway and Donato if you feel so inclined.

And give up on the whole 1st line, 2nd line, 3rd line thing. We don't really have the personnel to roll lines like that. Just because Zuccarello is listed on the "third line" doesn't mean he's necessarily going to be given 12 minutes vs. Kunin's 15 vs. Fiala's 18.
That's the top 6 I would've liked until I saw what Greenway did with Fiala today. Foligno needs to be on the matchup line with Ek and Kunin. That would require Evason to have the balls to play Parise on the 4th line. Doubt he has them

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
That's the top 6 I would've liked until I saw what Greenway did with Fiala today. Foligno needs to be on the matchup line with Ek and Kunin. That would require Evason to have the balls to play Parise on the 4th line. Doubt he has them

Granted I didn't watch the scrimmage, but I wouldn't put too much stock into one scrimmage. That said, like I stated, I have no issue with swapping Greenway and Donato and seeing what sticks. To be honest, the entire left side is interchangeable to me, just keep those C/RW combinations and move the LW in and out until something works.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Granted I didn't watch the scrimmage, but I wouldn't put too much stock into one scrimmage. That said, like I stated, I have no issue with swapping Greenway and Donato and seeing what sticks. To be honest, the entire left side is interchangeable to me, just keep those C/RW combinations and move the LW in and out until something works.
Greenway is the best fit for Staal and Fiala right now out of what Evason has to work with. He's not a very good fit with Zuccarello. Donato is like Zucker in that he could be very good on a line where he's the 3rd best player, but without a legit center he isn't going to do much. IMO

I guess you could try Staal with Donato and Zuccarello? That might end up looking like 16-12-36 did earlier in the year? But then you're running the risk of f***ing with the line of your best forward.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Greenway is the best fit for Staal and Fiala right now out of what Evason has to work with. He's not a very good fit with Zuccarello. Donato is like Zucker in that he could be very good on a line where he's the 3rd best player, but without a legit center he isn't going to do much. IMO

I guess you could try Staal with Donato and Zuccarello? That might end up looking like 16-12-36 did earlier in the year? But then you're running the risk of f***ing with the line of your best forward.

I'm about to watch the scrimmage, but why, in your opinion, is Greenway the best fit for Staal and Fiala right now?
And if Donato isn't going to be very good without a legit center, it would make sense to put him with Staal. Even if you end up doing something like this:

Donato-Staal-Zuccarello
Greenway-Galchenyuk-Fiala
Parise-Ek-Kunin
Foligno-Koivu-Hartman

Or you can switch Ek and Galchenyuk in that scenario

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017

Delete
lol...got you, and I'm getting tired.

The entire feed (2h 38m) is still available, for those interested...

Last edited:

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I'm about to watch the scrimmage, but why, in your opinion, is Greenway the best fit for Staal and Fiala right now?
And if Donato isn't going to be very good without a legit center, it would make sense to put him with Staal. Even if you end up doing something like this:

Donato-Staal-Zuccarello
Parise-Ek-Kunin
Foligno-Koivu-Hartman

Greenway is the best "possession" winger on the team. When he's on the ice his team usually has the puck. Just the fact that him being on the ice increases the likelihood of Fiala having the puck on his stick in the offensive zone, is enough to put him ahead of everyone else.

Donato-Staal-Zuccarello is what I want for a 2nd line next year, I'm just not sure playing Fiala with Galchenyuk in a 5 game series is a good idea.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Greenway is the best "possession" winger on the team. When he's on the ice his team usually has the puck. Just the fact that him being on the ice increases the likelihood of Fiala having the puck on his stick in the offensive zone, is enough to put him ahead of everyone else.

Donato-Staal-Zuccarello is what I want for a 2nd line next year, I'm just not sure playing Fiala with Galchenyuk in a 5 game series is a good idea.

I can see that. Coyle was similar and I would imagine it's a similar reason why they always had Coyle in the top 6.

If Donato-Staal-Zuccarello is your ideal 2nd line, where does Greenway fit next season? Presumably Kaprizov and Fiala would be the top line wingers. Greenway would still fall back to the bottom 6.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I can see that. Coyle was similar and I would imagine it's a similar reason why they always had Coyle in the top 6.

If Donato-Staal-Zuccarello is your ideal 2nd line, where does Greenway fit next season? Presumably Kaprizov and Fiala would be the top line wingers. Greenway would still fall back to the bottom 6.
Greenway reminds me a lot of Coyle. Greenway can hold on to the puck for as long as he wants. He doesn't have the finishing yet to be a top 6 guy but everything else about his game fits into making life easier for Staal/Fiala. Greenway is also a very underrated playmaker.

My lineup for next year would look like this-
Kaprizov - shiny new toy - Fiala
Donato - Staal - Zuccarello
Greenway - Eriksson Ek - Kunin
Foligno - Koivu/Sturm - Hartman

1st line plays as much as they can handle. Staal line gets the offensive shifts that Fiala's line don't and Ek's line is the shutdown/matchup line. 4th line would also be able to take defensive shifts and create miss matches for the top 6.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017

Donato-Staal-Zuccarello
Parise-Ek-Kunin
Foligno-Koivu-Hartman

Actually against the Canucks it could be a smart strategy to put him on the top line, then he will probably face one of their weapons a lot, JT Miller. Those two know each other inside out, teammates on the Rangers for several years. Goes both ways of course, but the younger Miller still has the respect...

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Actually against the Canucks it could be a smart strategy to put him on the top line, then he will probably face one of their weapons a lot, JT Miller. Those two know each other inside out, teammates on the Rangers for several years. Goes both ways of course, but the younger Miller still has the respect...

Ek is going to play against Miller-Pettersson-Boeser.

P10p

May 15, 2012
I gather from the Canucks board that Sutter, Ferland, and Bartschi are all out and virtanen showed up to camp out of shape and looks terrible.

Amebushi

Jul 14, 2020
I gather from the Canucks board that Sutter, Ferland, and Bartschi are all out and virtanen showed up to camp out of shape and looks terrible.

For what it’s worth, Baertschi isn’t injured he is opting out, likely due to not being good enough to crack the roster and wanting to stay home. Ferland is skating but quite doubtful due to concussions. I haven’t heard anything about Sutter being out, but wouldn’t be surprised. He has been a walking talking injury since he got here. With Virtanen you never know what you’re going to get. He was seen out partying a couple weeks ago and does not appear to be making many friends since camp started (Horvat got caught calling him out in a scrimmage) but he will be in the lineup...might be a solid power forward, might be a slow easy to exploit defensive liability. All I can say is that if I was coaching the wild I would be trying to get Fiala on the ice against him as much as possible.

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
Stealing a quote from the smartest hockey guy who ever lived, Ryan Carter ....
"Possession will be very important for the Wild … and by possession I mean puck possession"

Seriously, I think Greenway may not score much but can help the first line keep the puck in the offensive zone for long stretches' and thereby stealing chances from the Canucks scoring dynamos.

Reactions: 2Pair

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
For what it’s worth, Baertschi isn’t injured he is opting out, likely due to not being good enough to crack the roster and wanting to stay home. Ferland is skating but quite doubtful due to concussions. I haven’t heard anything about Sutter being out, but wouldn’t be surprised. He has been a walking talking injury since he got here. With Virtanen you never know what you’re going to get. He was seen out partying a couple weeks ago and does not appear to be making many friends since camp started (Horvat got caught calling him out in a scrimmage) but he will be in the lineup...might be a solid power forward, might be a slow easy to exploit defensive liability. All I can say is that if I was coaching the wild I would be trying to get Fiala on the ice against him as much as possible.

pretty spot on for all three, Ferland is a wild card. He may or may not play. It’s doubtful though, I personally think his career is over

Reactions: Amebushi

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Coach has spoken :DD

Looks to me like Miller is on their top line, should have the Staal line out there against them.

You don't match lines based on who's played with who in the past.

You want a shutdown line of x-Staal-Zuccarello just because they've both played with Miller briefly?

Sure, we can bring up Luke Johnson to play against the Horvat-Boeser line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce