Playoff Power Play

GeoStride87

Feb 23, 2013
Eller's size and strength can help him in the faceoff circle, along the boards (where the habs love to play) and in front of the net. In contrast, DD always gets outmuscled on the boards and on the faceoff scrums. Replace him with DD on the PP for just ONE game and I'd like to see how we do.

Rock On

May 29, 2006
Saint-Jean
Eller's size and strength can help him in the faceoff circle, along the boards (where the habs love to play) and in front of the net. In contrast, DD always gets outmuscled on the boards and on the faceoff scrums. Replace him with DD on the PP for just ONE game and I'd like to see how we do.

But.. But... He's our best playmaker !!

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Each has his role: Eller kills penalties, DD kills power plays.

AnotherHabsFan

Behind Enemy Lines
Jan 16, 2015
New Hampshire
The habs have been very inconsistent on the power play. Some games they will kill it and score 3 goals on 4 PP opportunities. But then they will go back to a 1 for 15 drought and then repeat the 3 for 4 on a random night. Its weird.

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
Montreal's PP has been better in the playoffs so far despite the results. Taking out the third game of the series, Montreal had a lot of scoring chances and passed the puck well. In the third game, they forgot how to do anything of that and started to pass it to Subban and Markov as always. Subban's rocket of a shot is a great weapon to use, but other teams have figured it all out for quite a while now. Rewatch the first two games and redo.

Funny...

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
The problem I have with DD on the PP is that teams know he isn't a threat to shoot the puck so they give him lots of space and they key in on the other 4 Habs on the ice essentially making it a 4 on 4.

If the Habs had a center out there not afraid to shoot the puck the other team would have to respect him more and watch him more closely opening up other Habs for more scoring chances.

I'm not blaming DD for all the Habs PP woes but I just don't see what he really brings to the Habs PP.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
The problem I have with DD on the PP is that teams know he isn't a threat to shoot the puck so they give him lots of space and they key in on the other 4 Habs on the ice essentially making it a 4 on 4.

If the Habs had a center out there not afraid to shoot the puck the other team would have to respect him more and watch him more closely opening up other Habs for more scoring chances.

I'm not blaming DD for all the Habs PP woes but I just don't see what he really brings to the Habs PP.

You definitely need to have players on the PP who are threats to shoot and score.

Therrien's stubbornness with his PP lineups is inexplicable. Stick to the plan is fine if the plan is working. It's common sense to change it up when it's not.

Habit11

Dec 18, 2009
You definitely need to have players on the PP who are threats to shoot and score.

Therrien's stubbornness with his PP lineups is inexplicable. Stick to the plan is fine if the plan is working. It's common sense to change it up when it's not.

Purely based on the numbers 67 / 14 / 11 have scored the most G/60 min on the PP from the regular season. Not coincidentally they also have the best scoring rate at 5 on 5.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Purely based on the numbers 67 / 14 / 11 have scored the most G/60 min on the PP from the regular season. Not coincidentally they also have the best scoring rate at 5 on 5.

I have no problem with whomever is on the PP if there's some success.

When it dries up and blows away, there need to be changes.

Hawkeye71980

Sep 15, 2009
New Brunswick
I have no problem with whomever is on the PP if there's some success.

When it dries up and blows away, there need to be changes.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the personelle on the PP. They have been getting tons of chances. (aside from a few bad PP's last game when we couldn't even get in the zone). Bounces are just not going their way right now.

It's the system that is not working, worrying too much about shots from the point (I know that's usually the simplest solution to a struggling PP), but it's not working because they are keying on our two point guys. I've seen several times where someone was open in front for a one timer from the goal line and no one is even attempting the pass. We have to work both down low and at the points. We are too predictable right now.....

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I don't think there's anything wrong with the personelle on the PP. They have been getting tons of chances. (aside from a few bad PP's last game when we couldn't even get in the zone). Bounces are just not going their way right now.

It's the system that is not working, worrying too much about shots from the point (I know that's usually the simplest solution to a struggling PP), but it's not working because they are keying on our two point guys. I've seen several times where someone was open in front for a one timer from the goal line and no one is even attempting the pass. We have to work both down low and at the points. We are too predictable right now.....

I think you'll find Plecky's group are the ones who are able to play down low,
but both waves still struggle gaining the zone and setting up.
Ottawa are having a fairly easy time boxing out our players.
Mainly because we don't have multiple players trying to breach the box at the same time.
The only reason Weise scored his third period goal was we had multiple players going to the net.
Gilbert being the predominant factor. We do it so little it confused the heck out of the Sens D.:D
I was hoping that AG would be able to strike fear into the hearts of the defenders at the blue line and back them off but he just isn't gifted like Kovy was...
He'll need to burn them a few times to learn em...:laugh:

Hawkeye71980

Sep 15, 2009
New Brunswick
I think you'll find Plecky's group are the ones who are able to play down low,
but both waves still struggle gaining the zone and setting up.
Ottawa are having a fairly easy time boxing out our players.
Mainly because we don't have multiple players trying to breach the box at the same time.
The only reason Weise scored his third period goal was we had multiple players going to the net.
Gilbert being the predominant factor. We do it so little it confused the heck out of the Sens D.:D
I was hoping that AG would be able to strike fear into the hearts of the defenders at the blue line and back them off but he just isn't gifted like Kovy was...
He'll need to burn them a few times to learn em...:laugh:

For the entries we need more speed going in. Give it to a skilled forward like Galchenyuk, Pleks, or DD or let Subban wheel. And for god's sake if your going to dump it in, have someone following it in with speed. It's like we get near the line then dump it in and the wingers have no idea and have to sprint to get to the corner before the D, which they do not 9 times out of 10......

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Montreal's PP has been better in the playoffs so far despite the results. Taking out the third game of the series, Montreal had a lot of scoring chances and passed the puck well. In the third game, they forgot how to do anything of that and started to pass it to Subban and Markov as always. Subban's rocket of a shot is a great weapon to use, but other teams have figured it all out for quite a while now. Rewatch the first two games and redo.

Funny...

I thought the biggest problem was entries in game 3. They seem to move it around okay once they setup, but the entries were hopeless in game 3.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011

Then explain our woes when the Pleks line is on the ice.....

People can blame individuals all they want if it makes them feel good. The reality is that PK scores enough goals on the PP that the Habs continue to rely on a points focused attack on the PP.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
@grantmccagg: There's 1 coach in NHL history who would consistently start a power play with 2 of 3 fwds not having scored a PP goal in 100+ games combined

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
Do the Sens play the rest of the period shorthanded? All but guaranteeing the victory

punk255

Mar 15, 2014
Agains we see tonight MT PP not working solution
DD-Paccio was not PP efficient and MT continue to long time with it

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I really wish Therrien would take Desharnais off the PP.. just so I could see which player you guys would start complaining about next when the dump and chase Powerplay doesn't work.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
The PP is far too predictable and easy to diffuse when Max, PK, DD Markov are on the ice.

Coach still trying to force a round square peg into a round hole expecting different results.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Eller in/DD out on the PP is the obvious adjustment...

we can speculate until were blue in the face as to why the HC is so resistant to seriously experiment with that, but whatever his reasoning, it's pretty damning to oversee such a massive failure without exploring all legitimate solutions.

Patches - Pleks - DSP
Galch - Eller - Gally

should be the lines at ES as well, but that's another conversation

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad