Playoff Power Play

punk255

Mar 15, 2014
I know it's only 3 games
I know habs lead 3-0 in series

... bur right now habs PP is 15th on 16 teams with 7.7%

Do chronic regular season PP problem start to comming back in playoff ?
Eventually Habs will lose because of that

I dont beleive in DD-DSP-Paccio line
DD cant shot
Paccio difficulty to pass
DSP dont have enough skill ( dont really have good hand)
Easy for opponent to neutralize

For me even if PP dont score you should at least have chance to score
Last game PP was horrible

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Small sample to say that it's 15th of 16 teams. That being said, the last two seasons hasn't really inspired any hope that it will get better. Let's hope that this thread and this post jinxes the Canadiens into waking up on the PP, because the systems haven't in two years.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Habs should work ONLY on the PP next time they "practice." The PP ha to get better and they have to improve it if they hope to go far in the playoffs.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Habs should work ONLY on the PP next time they "practice." The PP ha to get better and they have to improve it if they hope to go far in the playoffs.

I'm not sure if it is the case that the Habs won't get far without a good PP, but it would definitely improve their chances at getting further.

sholi2000

No One Gets Left Behind
May 26, 2013
Brandon, MB
www.sholi2000.com
Pacioretty Eller Weise

The biggest problem from my coach’s room is PP1. Desharnais and Smith-Pelly do not contribute.

Max is a 40 goal scorer and should be positioned in the kitchen (area in front of the net, 10 x10 space), next you need positional players down low, behind the net, or to the sides on the goal line. That PP1 should then cycle down low and hope to draw in the defense, to sucker a pass to Max. Gilbert and Petry should be PP1. Wesie and Eller in for Desharnais and Smith-Pelly.

Second attack should be PP2 with Subban and Markov and let that line blast away.

jpchabby

Drive for 25
Mar 3, 2006
The biggest problem from my coach’s room is PP1. Desharnais and Smith-Pelly do not contribute.

Max is a 40 goal scorer and should be positioned in the kitchen (area in front of the net, 10 x10 space), next you need positional players down low, behind the net, or to the sides on the goal line. That PP1 should then cycle down low and hope to draw in the defense, to sucker a pass to Max. Gilbert and Petry should be PP1. Wesie and Eller in for Desharnais and Smith-Pelly.

Second attack should be PP2 with Subban and Markov and let that line blast away.

I'm sorry, but Subban and Markov HAVE to be on the first wave. Putting them on the second one would be really, really not a smart move. I guess you said that because you were thinking about spreading the talent on both waves instead of only the first, but really, no. Put all your best guys on the 1st wave, and hope they score. Then, put the second wave.

punk255

Mar 15, 2014

I'm agreed but simply change players for the first unity can make a difference
I dont want to see DD-DSP-Paccio line for the next PP

MT never try new unity

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal

Eller and Weise? No way.

First things first, the PP should have dedicated PP lines and not this ES type of stuff. The first wave should have the Habs' most talented offensive forwards, i.e., Plekanec, Galchenyuk and Pacioretty.

The second wave should be DD, Gallagher and Eller. Eller has shown more goal scoring prowess at the nhl level than DSP has. I like DSP, but he has to earn his PP time and not simple handed to him because he's on the club's top line at ES. It's foolish concept.

But it won't happen. So it doesn't matter. Also, the Habs will probably score a PP goal tomorrow (probably DSP) while not changing a thing and the usual suspects will proclaim it "fixed".

habs247

Oct 8, 2013
The PP was generating so many chances in game 2, what changed between game 2 and 3?

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I think we need a LH shooter on the right half board that Plex is on right now. I'd swap him with Chucky as he has a wicked wrister.

PP1
Eller DD Patches - Eller posts up in front of the net Patches right half wall and DD as the set up man
PP2
Gally Plex Chucky - Gally screen and Chucky the shooter on the right with Plex the set up man.

Analyzer*

The PP was generating so many chances in game 2, what changed between game 2 and 3?

Probably Ottawa playing better.

Switch Desharnais to Galchenyuk.

Galchenyuk - Passer/shooter
DSP - Net front presence
Pacioretty - Slot presence/ shooter
Subban - Big shot/passer
Markov - Passer/shooter.

Gives much more options. If you have DSP in front, you'll have Methot (6'3), or Gryba (6'4) trying to move him which adds even more of a screen. Way too often there's nobody in front of the net.

missthenet

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site

how about Subban on the side board like ovey? he might get better shots and it might free up Markov or whoever else is on the point?

sholi2000

No One Gets Left Behind
May 26, 2013
Brandon, MB
www.sholi2000.com
I'm sorry, but Subban and Markov HAVE to be on the first wave. Putting them on the second one would be really, really not a smart move. I guess you said that because you were thinking about spreading the talent on both waves instead of only the first, but really, no. Put all your best guys on the 1st wave, and hope they score. Then, put the second wave.

Then another option would be to have PP2 start, because having the pp concentrated with shots from the point with Max doing nothing is a waste. 98% of all PP goals in the regular season come from the slot area. Look at the top 40 PP goal scorers and tell me different?

EDIT- The absolute best option for the Canadiens power play would be to bring in assistant coaches who actually know what they are doing. Lacroix, Jodin, and JJ can move to the PR department.

Last edited:

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I'm not sure if it is the case that the Habs won't get far without a good PP, but it would definitely improve their chances at getting further.

I think we're saying the same thing just in different ways. ;)

how about Subban on the side board like ovey? he might get better shots and it might free up Markov or whoever else is on the point?

I thought of that as well. I think the problem is that you can't post him there full time. He does rover down sometimes to get closer to the net but the PK team has picked up on it and don't give him enough time or space that close to the net. It also takes him too long to take his shot off. That's why I like Patxhes and Chcuky on the half wall for their ability to get a quick accurate shot off but by all means, if PK can get open on the left side half wall that would be ideal. Can't have too many threats on a PP!

punk255

Mar 15, 2014
My first unity will be Gach-Pleck-Paccio-PK-Markov

You see that Habs missing good front quality offensive player when you try to make PP unity

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
You gotta put Eller on the PP.

He was excellent at screening the goalies and holding onto pucks in the last games of the regular season when MT tried him there. Pacioretty is also a must as it gives us more shooting options, so the last thing we need is a playmaker. Plekanec likes to shoot on the PP, essentially replacing Patches, so I would rather put somebody else. Glachenyuk seems like our best bet imo, but he's not good enough on faceoffs, so Eller would have to take the draws.

Overall I'd have Patches-Galchenyuk-Eller-Subban-Markov first wave and _-Plekanec-Gallagher-Petry-Gilbert on the second wave. I honestly don't know who to put as the third forward for the second wave. It could either Weise or DSP or even DD (although it would be too small of a line to hold onto possession). Ideally I would have used Parenteau.

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
EDIT- The absolute best option for the Canadiens power play would be to bring in assistant coaches who actually know what they are doing. Lacroix, Jodin, and JJ can move to the PR department.

Total agree. We need our PP and for that fact our PK to be stronger. MB must see this so I hope he does bring in outside help for the playoffs.
One thing I would like to see is no Markov on the PP for a while. I am not blaming Markov but just to change things up some.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

No they shouldn't...
They should work non stop on executing 2-1 and 3-2 all over the ice.
Then and only when they have some success at this should they try to work on PP.
I'm not sure why anyone is even remotely suprised at how BAD we suck at these basic fundamentals!
On the flip side (pun intended) can a chip off the glass work any better in an OT situation than that delivered by Emelin Prust and Co? :laugh::laugh::laugh::D

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
The problem is down low. The penalty killers are always cheating on Subban and Markov, it can practically be a 3 vs 2 down low on every play. They have so much space down low to exploit it but they don't do it, either because they don't know how or the wrong players are on.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
That. Heck, I'd even use Galchenyuk at center on the first wave if you want to keep Plek for PK duties. DD-Patches is totally ineffective on the PP.

In all situations...
It will hurt us and we knew this going back to last year.
The Brains behind our operation still push the RW button vs using the guillotine! :help:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
The problem is down low. The penalty killers are always cheating on Subban and Markov, it can practically be a 3 vs 2 down low on every play. They have so much space down low to exploit it but they don't do it, either because they don't know how or the wrong players are on.

We don't have great puckhandlers down low.
Pleck and Chucky are the best by far and when they are set up theirs is the most dangerous. IMO.
DD and Co can't seem to get set up and Ottawa is eating their errant or bobbled passes up.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

Your suggestion for fixing the Canadiens power play is to remove Andrei Markov and P.K. Subban from the first unit?

Are you serious?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad