Playoff Matchups

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Looking a lot like its Winnipeg, Toronto, Edmonton, Montreal - how do we matchup?

Would be interested in some statistical matchup analysis if its out there...

Toronto -
weak D but they play their forwards high for support
net front team - always driving to the crease
really lock down the NZ trap when they get a lead
Matchup - tough series for the Jets - so far the Jets have not had answers to the Toronto's NZ; how do we solve this

Edmonton
weak D and driving forwards; really like to open it up
if Edmonton gets momentum, they can spin your head - if they don't, they collapse
McJesus and Drai - always wild cards
Matchup - great for Jets as long as we show up - Lowry has McDavid's number and Jets have done fairly well slowing Edmonton down

Montreal
strong D and speed forwards - great in transition; prefer controlled entries
their forwards also play high in the zone - rebounds and blocked shots end up as 2-1, 3-1 the other way
Price gaining his form
Matchup - tough but doable - Jets D needs to be on their game and physical early with Montreal forwards; this is another team that can get away from you

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I would prefer a first round match-up with the Oilers.

We are toast if Maurice will go best vs. Best.
As our best will just keep chasing McDavid.

Lowry and Copp and A speedster vs. MCDavid.
And Have
Scheifele
And
Dubois play against other oilers line.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I prefer to meet the Oilers in the 1st round. Stop 1 guy and you can beat them.

Would enjoy seeing Montreal "Carey Price" the Leafs.

But regardless, I think whomever wins the North is in for a rude awakening when they get matched up with the other divisions.

Speaking of which, The four teams that advance to the semifinals will be re-seeded based on their regular season point totals, and then placed into a new 1 vs. 4 and 2 vs. 3 bracket.

Toomuts

Jun 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Leafs or Habs, not that interested in the 930pm starts against Edmonton

Any of the three teams will be a challenge

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
I think that the Canadians actually scare me the most. We don't seem to match up with them very well.

Oilers first round, Habs/Leafs would be my hopes I guess.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
The Leafs may have some individual weak looking d men names, but as a team they play strong d. The metrics back it up.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I agree that the Oilers are probably the most likely option. Matchups aside, Oilers-Jets and Leafs-Habs would be a great thing for TV numbers.

I think the team matches up worst against the Oilers - an insistence to put Scheifele against McDavid and Draisaitl means that it'll be hard to get momentum. Smith is playing quite well too. I think they could do it, though. I think any of the 4 teams can beat the others over 2 playoff series.

Reactions: mondo3

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Looking a lot like its Winnipeg, Toronto, Edmonton, Montreal - how do we matchup?

Would be interested in some statistical matchup analysis if its out there...

Toronto -
weak D but they play their forwards high for support
net front team - always driving to the crease
really lock down the NZ trap when they get a lead
Matchup - tough series for the Jets - so far the Jets have not had answers to the Toronto's NZ; how do we solve this

Edmonton
weak D and driving forwards; really like to open it up
if Edmonton gets momentum, they can spin your head - if they don't, they collapse
McJesus and Drai - always wild cards
Matchup - great for Jets as long as we show up - Lowry has McDavid's number and Jets have done fairly well slowing Edmonton down

Montreal
strong D and speed forwards - great in transition; prefer controlled entries
their forwards also play high in the zone - rebounds and blocked shots end up as 2-1, 3-1 the other way
Price gaining his form
Matchup - tough but doable - Jets D needs to be on their game and physical early with Montreal forwards; this is another team that can get away from you
The "Toronto has weak D" narrative should probably end.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

Yep. They play good team D and we don’t — and plugging in a rental D without upgrading our systems is not going to turn us into a contender, IMO.

Both MTL and EDM will be a handful, and I don’t see us getting past the Leafs in a series if their goaltending holds up. They’re better coached and play a tighter structure than we do, and seem to be able to adjust on the fly in a way that has often eluded PoMo’s teams.

We have the goaltending and the firepower to make some noise in the regular season and seem to be more resilient than in some previous years, but we still struggle with a hard forecheck, bumble around in our zone and fail to exit with possession, can’t seem to beat a NZ trap and give up shot positioning and volume game after game. We are, I think, once again outplaying our systems/ coaching through sheer talent, but that’s a hard trick to keep up in a playoff series, and we have less talent than we used to.

Would like to be more optimistic — maybe that ol’ switch gets turned and we enter the POs with momentum.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Tough call. I'm going to say MTL is best option. Jets would need to score first every game though or they'll get smothered in the neutral zone. Price may steal a game but the rest of the team can't hang with the Jets.

Toronto is legitimately good this year. Jets have the edge in net, and I think the forward balance is better for the Jets as well, but defense and top end talent are better on the Leafs. I would not choose to go up against them.

Edmonton, would be the obvious choice if not for 97. Coach will literally leave him on the ice until they are in the lead. Probably my second choice though because Jets can let Ehlers do the scoring and everyone else can focus on shut down.

TEH FIRST NOEL

Jan 31, 2021
PAUL MAURICE'S LUGGAGE
as much as I like and cheer for the jets, the league format this year (and playoffs) is such a "game changer." The attempt to predict how the jets might fare seems to be extra futile this year. Even the try to speculate how the jets match up against other teams in the north division for the playoffs is skewed. Playoffs seem to be a game within a game and a different game than the league game(s).

The seven game playoff format seems like it might bite the jets in the ass, but maybe, this statement that I am writing is way off. To (try to quickly) elaborate, other teams might be playing poorly during the season, but once playoffs start, welp, league performance is hardly relevant and pretty much goes right out the window... as long as the jets can maintain and play consistently (enough to win,) whom they play might not be (that) important

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

They're not so good individually but as a five man unit they’re pretty solid. They play well to their strengths. The key would be getting in on those defensemen hard and force mistakes. They’re very prone to it. But if the team keeps you to the outside you’re not gonna generate much as we saw last night.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
They're not so good individually but as a five man unit they’re pretty solid. They play well to their strengths. The key would be getting in on those defensemen hard and force mistakes. They’re very prone to it. But if the team keeps you to the outside you’re not gonna generate much as we saw last night.
I don't understand the "they're not good individually" argument either. Brodie's been a top pairing solid defensive player for years, Muzzin has always been good defensively as well. Holl has taken a huge step forward the past couple years. Rielly is adequate defensively and a big net positive because of his offensive game. Dermott's better than Poolman and Beaulieu.

Bogosian is Bogosian.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I’m meaning their Defencemen - still not sold on that core at all - but if Toronto gets their trap locked in they are very hard to play against

PaulPooley

Nov 18, 2018
I’m meaning their Defencemen - still not sold on that core at all - but if Toronto gets their trap locked in they are very hard to play against
Definitely saw that last night. They gave us no room to operate.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Definitely saw that last night. They gave us no room to operate.
Keefe makes sure that one or even two of his forwards fall back to the blue line - probably because he knows his D kinda sucks too

Toronto drives hard to the net - Matthews and Mariners speed is a huge help - but they really play more team D in general

early pressure in the Toronto zone seems key to getting them off their game - we haven’t really done that...

TEH FIRST NOEL

Jan 31, 2021
PAUL MAURICE'S LUGGAGE
I don't understand the "they're not good individually" argument either. Brodie's been a top pairing solid defensive player for years, Muzzin has always been good defensively as well. Holl has taken a huge step forward the past couple years. Rielly is adequate defensively and a big net positive because of his offensive game. Dermott's better than Poolman and Beaulieu.

Bogosian is Bogosian.

may I ask if you are conveying any other info in writing "bogosian is bogosian" other than that is indeed his name and he?

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
It would probably be most satisfying to beat Edmonton but McDrai are scary so I'd probably prefer Montreal.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Oilers, theoretically, would be the easiest matchup.

Staple Lowry to the McJesus line and let our other forwards feast on their AHL forwards.

Smith should also come back down to Earth and their defence is worse than ours.

Reactions: VictoriaJetsFan

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Yep. They play good team D and we don’t — and plugging in a rental D without upgrading our systems is not going to turn us into a contender, IMO.

Both MTL and EDM will be a handful, and I don’t see us getting past the Leafs in a series if their goaltending holds up. They’re better coached and play a tighter structure than we do, and seem to be able to adjust on the fly in a way that has often eluded PoMo’s teams.

We have the goaltending and the firepower to make some noise in the regular season and seem to be more resilient than in some previous years, but we still struggle with a hard forecheck, bumble around in our zone and fail to exit with possession, can’t seem to beat a NZ trap and give up shot positioning and volume game after game. We are, I think, once again outplaying our systems/ coaching through sheer talent, but that’s a hard trick to keep up in a playoff series, and we have less talent than we used to.

Would like to be more optimistic — maybe that ol’ switch gets turned and we enter the POs with momentum.
Nice reverse jinx! Thanks!

Reactions: JetsUK

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Credit to Toronto for last night’s performance but that was also a Jets team that put in zero effort.

You would hope they would show up in the playoffs (although game six against the Blues says hello).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad