Speculation: Playoff matchup discussion

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Would much rather play St.Louis rather than Minnesota because I'll rather play the worse team. Not a hard concept

Completely fair as Minny has been better than the Blues this season. I still think both teams will be tough outs and give either the Avs/Vegas fits.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
The Avs are going to end up being the #1 seed, so we may as well just accept the fact that we'll be facing a hot Blues team in the first round

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I'm good with Minnesota in round 1. Our roster is significantly better than theirs. I'd rather give everyone a lot of rest/maintenance days for the rest of the regular season than wear themselves out for the opportunity of playing the Blues.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
The Avs are good enough this year it shouldn’t really matter who they play but I would still rather Minnesota. The Blues to me are a team that’s quite a bit better than the Wild are. I just can’t see a team with the Wilds center depth giving the Avs a good run.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I want first and I want to play St. Louis. Minnesota are better. Plus St. Louis’ play style will better prepare the Avs for Vegas in round 2.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I want first and I want to play St. Louis. Minnesota are better. Plus St. Louis’ play style will better prepare the Avs for Vegas in round 2.
That's also a good way to get into round 3 super worn out and with even more injuries than usual.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
That's also a good way to get into round 3 super worn out and with even more injuries than usual.
I guess it depends on how you look at it. I just remember the Avs playing a Phoenix team that didn’t forecheck or play you hard last year and walking into a series against the Stars where the Avs had no idea what to do when Stars players started coming heavy and putting pressure on them.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
This team won't get out of the 1st round with this d core if Girard and Byram miss the 1st round

Toews-Makar
Graves-Timmins
Nemeth-MacDonald/Renouf or whoever

That's just ouch!!!

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
This team won't get out of the 1st round with this d core if Girard and Byram miss the 1st round

Toews-Makar
Graves-Timmins

That's just ouch!!!

You make a good point, but I counter with: MacKinnon

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
You make a good point, but I counter with: MacKinnon
MacK is great and all, but the Avs are gonna face a good team in the 1st round unlike Arizona last year. They can easily lose to Wild or the Blues without Girard, Byram and EJ

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
MacK is great and all, but the Avs are gonna face a good team in the 1st round unlike Arizona last year. They can easily lose to Wild or the Blues without Girard, Byram and EJ

I think we've seen this year that the team can be missing almost anyone, and as long as they have MacKinnon there is no way they are losing 4 out of 7 to any team in the league. The way I see it, the only difference is whether it will take 4, 5, 6 or 7 games.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015

Toews-Makar
Graves-Timmins

That's just ouch!!!
I wouldn't count the Avs out with that Dcore. They would still have the best forwards, Dman and goalie.

Turbonium

Aug 21, 2020
Spain

Not sure why anyone mentions EJ like he's been a factor at all this year. It's not like he got hurt 30 games into the season, he's not going to magically be better and some huge addition come playoff time.

They need Girard healthy, Byram would be a plus but not counting on it. Timmins will have to keep playing well but if Makar, Toews, and Girard stay healthy (along with Grubauer) there's enough talent to have postseason success.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Looking at the remaining schedule I'd say the Avs have a good chance of passing Vegas.

Colorado face non-playoff teams in 6 of the last 7 games.

Conversely, Vegas play Minnesota and St. Louis 4 times.

Vegas are 2-3-1 against Minnesota this season, including 0-2-0 in their previous away games against Minnesota. Minnesota are 18-5-1 at home this year.

That's followed by a back-to-back against St. Louis who are 4-0-1 in their last 5 (all against Avs or Wild). The Blues are also better on the road (14-8-3) than at home (9-11-4) this season.

If both Colorado and Minnesota win tonight - which seems to be the likeliest outcome based on previous results this season between these teams - then Avs would just be 2 points behind Vegas with a game in hand, and have a considerably easier schedule remaining.

upload_2021-5-3_11-44-44.png

Reactions: MaKarter

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Let's not forget that we also have one remaining game against Vegas. We are currently 4 pts back with a game in hand and a game remaining against them plus we own the 1st tiebreaker. And like Richard said we also have an easier schedule so I like our chances to finishing 1st in our division. I still prefer finishing 1st and get home ice advantage up to at least the SC finals. To win the cup you need to beat the best teams anyway so might as well have the odds with us with home ice.

Reactions: Richard88

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
So Avs play San Jose, L.A, L.A
Wild have Vegas, Ducks, Ducks
Vegas have Wild, Blues, Blues

Looks like a small possibility by Sunday morning Vegas could be 3rd in the division.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
The Blues are the tougher opponenent imo. Despite the point totals Minny has been extremely lucky with their record, shades of 13-14 Avs.

The Shermanator

HFBoards Legend
Jul 2, 2011
Ontario
Lol wouldn't that be a wild turn of events, no pun intended. That the Wild go on run and get 1st and we play Vegas in round 1 :laugh:

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers

The Avs really need St Louis to be competent and win at least one of their back-to-back games with Vegas over the weekend. That Vegas regulation loss combined with the Avs comeback win opened the door a bit more.

I'm not really rooting for the Avs first round opponent, I'm rooting for Vegas to get the Wild whom they seem to have a problem with.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00