Speculation: Playoff matchup discussion

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The Avs have clinched a playoff spot so we are allowed to discuss this I guess...and better here than lost in a random GDT.

Currently we have 9 games left and Vegas is 6 points ahead of us. Odds are we're going to face the Wild in round 1...(hopefully with home ice advantage).

Would be nice if the Blues could enter the playoffs red-hot and give Vegas all they can handle in the first round. Blues may have a chip on their shoulder because of Petro switching side, too.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Also the North is pretty much set in stone as well for round 1:

Toronto vs Montreal
Edmonton vs Winnipeg

There's still a race in the central and the east for the last playoff spot.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Yep, if we're healthy we beat every other team in the division unless the other team's goalie plays out of this world for four games. So that being case the team that "worries" me most is Vegas since they have the two best goalies of the three teams we might play.

Reactions: McMetal

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I’d probably prefer Minny over St. Louis right now but Minny has been pretty hot lately too so we’ll see. But I expect St. Louis to give Vegas a run for their money since they’ve been hot and want to show Pie he should have stayed.

That said, don’t care about matchups really just get healthy and rest guys for the last 3-4 games (namely Mack, Lando, Mikko, Toews and Girard)

jimmysheva

Mar 16, 2014
Blues are heating up. Might as well play the Wild in the first round. Either way, there's no easy match up.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
1st place is still very much up for grabs.

Vegas is 6 points ahead, but we still play them once more, and they still play the Wild 2x and Blues 2x. For us, besides that one game against Vegas, we play LA and San Jose the other 8 games remaining.

Very possible for the Avs to push an 8-1-0 sort of stretch run here and if we beat the Knights in that game, then catching them can definitely happen.

Winning last night would have made things much more interesting but what can you do.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Doesn’t matter, would just prefer home ice and a healthy team.

I still think the Blues are better than the Wild, so it could be the old blessing in disguise slipping into 2nd. For some reason the Blues just know how to play the Avs.

It really all just comes down to whether Grubauer is in net or not.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Doesn’t matter, would just prefer home ice and a healthy team.

I still think the Blues are better than the Wild, so it could be the old blessing in disguise slipping into 2nd. For some reason the Blues just know how to play the Avs.

It really all just comes down to whether Grubauer is in net or not.
Yeah if we don’t have a healthy Gru we aren’t going anywhere anyways.

Reactions: Avs71

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
We can come out of the West, but i can't see this team winning four series with this defense... It's too small.

The Shermanator

HFBoards Legend
Jul 2, 2011
Ontario
With Arizona falling off the the 1 v 4 match up against them isn't really possible anymore so falling into 2nd is honestly not that bad.

All the Blues fans reading this thread will enjoy me saying that.

Reactions: Balthazar

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
My only concern continues to be the one thing that has plagued this team... injuries

If the Avs are healthy they can hang with any team in the NHL. Problem is, they haven't proven they can ice that full lineup for any more than 2-3 games in a row.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I wouldn't entirely rule out the first seed quite yet. The Avs are getting Rantanen and Grubauer back and the rest of their schedule is a joke outside of one Vegas game. Vegas' schedule is pretty competitive. If the Blues truly are getting hot they could do us some favors as they play Vegas twice and Min twice.

I honestly don't really care who the Avs first round opponent is between Min and St Louis. If the Avs are healthy I think they steamboat either club. For me the real prize is home ice over a potential second round vs Vegas and beyond.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
1st place is still very much up for grabs.

Vegas is 6 points ahead, but we still play them once more, and they still play the Wild 2x and Blues 2x. For us, besides that one game against Vegas, we play LA and San Jose the other 8 games remaining.

Very possible for the Avs to push an 8-1-0 sort of stretch run here and if we beat the Knights in that game, then catching them can definitely happen.

Winning last night would have made things much more interesting but what can you do.

It isn't impossible, but damn will it be tough. If Vegas even goes .500 in pts, that puts them at 80. Given how good they are, I think that is their baseline. To match that the Avs have to go 7-2. Vegas currently owns the tiebreaker, so in that 7-2 the Avs would have to win in regulation. Not impossible, but just a really tough task and requires Vegas to stumble and the Avs can't slip up at all.

Reactions: missionAvs

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I’ll still take the Blues over the Wild.

When the Blues are on they’ve got a really good 4 line attack, but their defence is still average at best. They give up a ton of goals. I don’t think there’s any easy matchup, but the Wild are a more complete team than the Blues.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
I’ll still take the Blues over the Wild.

When the Blues are on they’ve got a really good 4 line attack, but their defence is still average at best. They give up a ton of goals. I don’t think there’s any easy matchup, but the Wild are a more complete team than the Blues.
I agree. I think the Wild are better than the Blues.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Add to that Evason is a hell of a coach. He's far better than Berube and Evason will have some counters that could give the Avs some fits. I'd much rather face the Blues.

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
Blues or Wild won't be easy, but if we can make it past them we will be much better prepared for the 2nd round compared to last year where we came out lackadaisical against Dallas.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
If we are relatively healthy I believe we can take any team in our division. Our biggest adversary is injury.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Don't care at all about the opponent or home ice, if they cannot win against the Blues or the Wild its a choke. Against Vegas anything can happen and luck will be a factor.

Vk1ing

Feb 12, 2016
I think we will play the wild and that is better for us. When I look at the Wild forward group there is no game breaker. kaprizov is good right now but right now he is not a game breaker. What is the wild answer to the MacKinnon line? we match up well against them. There are signs that point to the Wild overperforming this year. A healthy Avalanche team should be able to handle the Wild.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I think we will play the wild and that is better for us. When I look at the Wild forward group there is no game breaker. kaprizov is good right now but right now he is not a game breaker. What is the wild answer to the MacKinnon line? we match up well against them. There are signs that point to the Wild overperforming this year. A healthy Avalanche team should be able to handle the Wild.

Kaprizov is absolutely a gamebreaker.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad