Line Combos: Playoff Lines

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Where can I find stats on PK goals against ?

Brodie’s PK stats especially

I selected only players with 60 minutes PK time. PP GA/60 is the goals allowed.

Giordano - 10.25
Kampf - 9.09
Marner - 8.94
Brodie - 8.73
Jarnkrok - 8.46
Nylander - 7.78
McCabe - 6.51
Benoit - 6.25
Gregor - 4.62

So Brodie looks better than Gio, but worse than McCabe and Benoit. Of course it's a reasonably small sample size.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Mine is very similar

Bertuzzi-Matthews-Domi
McMann-Tavares-Marner
Robertson-Holmberg-Nylander
Knies-Kampf-Jarnkrok

Reaves, Gregor, Dewar

Rielly-Lyubushkin
Benoit-McCabe
Edmundson-Liljegren

Brodie, Giordano, Timmins

Samsonov
Woll

I just have this very strong feeling Robertson is a 30 goal/82 game player on a line with Nylander (a player that can match his pace and IQ on the rush) and he’s been able to average 19 goals per 82 while being totally misused. Nylander and Robertson will create magic.

Reaves will be 100% in the line up even if his impact is only reduci g the number of time matthews marner nylander and leafs player being slash pr cross check

toronto already struggling tu defend their lead... its hard to believe they will remove dewar
He usually gets put with Matthews when Matty is in a slump - as soon as he picks up, Keefe moves Mitch back.

Since Willy is the only player other than Matty, and to a lesser extent Mitch, who can drive a line, when Mitch is out, Willy had to stay with JT. Fortunately Domi stepped up, which means that MItch can help JT (between them they can drive a line), and Willy gets his own.

Not sure what Kessel has to do with anything - he was a one-trick pony, and very different that Willy.

Again, he doesn't need better players than himself, but he could do with a better (or if you prefer, more complimentary) centre than JT, as the opponents tend to ignore JT and focus on Willy.

its funny how your finding excuse for nylander everytime. The reason why Nylandrr didn't had succes is hes only playing with matthews when he is a slump but the minute keefe remove nylander of Matthews, Matthews finding his game back. So it is Matthews slump who impacting nylander of nylander who sending Matthews into slump? When Matthews playing with Nylander, his corsi number dropping and become at his worst all the time. Normally corsi is a nice indication about who's having puck control. Thats meaning than when hes playing with nylander, he had to defend even more than when he was playing with other teammate, so at the end also playing less in the offensive zone.

For me a guy carrying a line is someone able to making everyone around him better and who dont need hot player to play with but able to bring a Matthews out of his slump.. and sorry marner is better than nylander to make people looking better

Sorry its not fault everyone else fault if hes unable to bring out the best of his teammate, a thing than marner doing and i dont talk about individual stats. Its not JT fault, its not Matthews fault, its not keefe fault...

and why comparaison with Kessel? they was playing the same style. im not talking about skill but about how they playing and yes nylander is a better skater puck mover but dorsn't the fact they're playing the same way. and both are player who are able to producing at high rate but none making player around them better.

Last edited:

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

I selected only players with 60 minutes PK time. PP GA/60 is the goals allowed.

Giordano - 10.25
Kampf - 9.09
Marner - 8.94
Brodie - 8.73
Jarnkrok - 8.46
Nylander - 7.78
McCabe - 6.51
Benoit - 6.25
Gregor - 4.62

So Brodie looks better than Gio, but worse than McCabe and Benoit. Of course it's a reasonably small sample size.

but you also need to consider where youre playing on pk. Playing on 1st or 2nd unit vs 3 or 4th is not the same thing. playing against matthews nylander nylander rilly and jt is muck more dangerous on pp than against domi robertson knies gio and mccabe as exemple.

so thats stats meaning what you want to see, nothing else

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
Bert Matthews Domi
McMann JT Marner
Robertson Jarnkrok Nylander
Dewar Kampf Reaves
Is what I’d like but I know Robertson will be out so probably Jarnkrok Holmberg Willie for the 3rd line

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
@notDatsyuk - looks like nhl.com is taking stats more seriously these days.

1712513028084.png

So if Benoit or McCabe or Ilya take penalties this post season, the success rate of opposing PPs goes up quite a bit.

I didn't see a way of determining the # of goals against per player. Other than manually = PP GA/60 x (SH TOI/60)

1st or 2nd unit vs 3 or 4th
A quality of competition stat would correct for that (not sure there is one).

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Reaves will be 100% in the line up even if his impact is only reduci g the number of time matthews marner nylander and leafs player being slash pr cross check

toronto already struggling tu defend their lead... its hard to believe they will remove dewar

its funny how your finding excuse for nylander everytime. The reason why Nylandrr didn't had succes is hes only playing with matthews when he is a slump but the minute keefe remove nylander of Matthews, Matthews finding his game back. So it is Matthews slump who impacting nylander of nylander who sending Matthews into slump? When Matthews playing with Nylander, his corsi number dropping and become at his worst all the time. Normally corsi is a nice indication about who's having puck control. Thats meaning than when hes playing with nylander, he had to defend even more than when he was playing with other teammate, so at the end also playing less in the offensive zone.

For me a guy carrying a line is someone able to making everyone around him better and who dont need hot player to play with but able to bring a Matthews out of his slump.. and sorry marner is better than nylander to make people looking better

Sorry its not fault everyone else fault if hes unable to bring out the best of his teammate, a thing than marner doing and i dont talk about individual stats. Its not JT fault, its not Matthews fault, its not keefe fault...

and why comparaison with Kessel? they was playing the same style. im not talking about skill but about how they playing and yes nylander is a better skater puck mover but dorsn't the fact they're playing the same way. and both are player who are able to producing at high rate but none making player around them better.
Amazing how you try to blame Nylander for everything, even to the extent of entirely misunderstanding what I said.

Is it deliberate, or something else?

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
but you also need to consider where youre playing on pk. Playing on 1st or 2nd unit vs 3 or 4th is not the same thing. playing against matthews nylander nylander rilly and jt is muck more dangerous on pp than against domi robertson knies gio and mccabe as exemple.

so thats stats meaning what you want to see, nothing else
Actually, I didn't "want to see" anything, I just provided the stats that someone else asked for. Are you stalking me now?

I have no idea why you need to mention the Leafs PP when the discussion is the Leafs PK.

Considering that the PK units, when they are reasonably successful, change every 30 seconds, while the top PP unit stays on for at least a minute (and usually much more), your whole premise is wrong.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Amazing how you try to blame Nylander for everything, even to the extent of entirely misunderstanding what I said.

Is it deliberate, or something else?

Nylander is a high offensive player with defensive/ work ethic issues and your blaming everybody else for Nylander those issues.

-its because he was playing with JT than hes not producing enough at 5v5,
-its because matthews whos not hot if ther are not good at all as a line when they are playing together.
Its because of keefe who didn't put Nylander on the right situation
-He was carrying his own line yesterday, probably because of holmberg and knies if that line had only 2 scoring all game long ( same as 4th with 2X ice time) and 1 high scoring chance against a terrible habs team. Thanks to Montembeault who was unable to control a weak point shot and gave up a juicy rebound to knies to give up the only high danger chance of that line.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Actually, I didn't "want to see" anything, I just provided the stats that someone else asked for. Are you stalking me now?

I have no idea why you need to mention the Leafs PP when the discussion is the Leafs PK.

Considering that the PK units, when they are reasonably successful, change every 30 seconds, while the top PP unit stays on for at least a minute (and usually much more), your whole premise is wrong.

the only thing i saying, playing on 1st unit all the time against exwmple mcdavid/ draisaitl, mackinnon/malar or whatever drastically increase the chance to giving up a goal and yes whem its succesful 30 and youre out but when you need to defend 45- 1 min against those player thats drastically raising chance to giving up a goal vs 2nd pp unit

Last edited:

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Nylander is a high offensive player with defensive/ work ethic issues and your blaming everybody else for Nylander those issues.

-its because matthews whos not hot if ther are not good at all as a line when they are playing together.
-He was carrying his own line yesterday, probably because of holmberg and knies if that line had only 2 scoring all game long ( same as 4th with 2X ice time) and 1 high scoring chance against a terrible habs team. Thanks to Montembeault who was unable to control a weak point shot and gave up a juicy rebound to knies to give up the only high danger chance of that line.

the only thing i saying, playing on 1st unit all the time against exwmple mcdavid/ draisaitl, mackinnon/malar or whatever drastically increase the chance to giving up a goal and yes whem its succesful 30 and youre out but when you need to defend 45- 1 min against those player thats drastically raising chance to giving up a goal vs 2nd pp unit
Both times you completely miss the point. I have no idea if it is deliberate or not.

You haven't addressed anything I said.

If you don't understand what someone is saying, either ask for clarification or don't bother pretending to reply.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022

Yeah last couple games willy hasn't looked good not fast at all might be taking his foot on the breaks so he can make it to the playoffs or something I don't know if he's injured or what but he's just not fast and that's his game

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Yeah last couple games willy hasn't looked good not fast at all might be taking his foot on the breaks so he can make it to the playoffs or something I don't know if he's injured or what but he's just not fast and that's his game

Its always the same old story with Nylander and it was exactly the same thing with Kessel. its work ethic and nothing else. for me with a good work ethic, Nylander would be as good than Kucherov of Pastrnak but its just not the case.

Reactions: arso40

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Its always the same old story with Nylander and it was exactly the same thing with Kessel. its work ethic and nothing else. for me with a good work ethic, Nylander would be as good than Kucherov of Pastrnak but its just not the case.
I can kind of agree but Kessel is a pretty huge stretch in terms of work ethic he played 0 defence

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
I can kind of agree but Kessel is a pretty huge stretch in terms of work ethic he played 0 defence

1-for me 50% of defensive at EV is work ethic
25% of hockey iq
25% split with strenght, skating and all other thing.
They're nothing more important in the defensive side than working hard, absolutly nothing. If you work ethic is an issu, defensive will become an issue too.

2- Kessel when he was in Toronto, he didn't had matthews marner or an elite team around him to erase those issue so everything was looking worst but that didn't looking as bad in pittsburgh than it was in Toronto

the Nylander when he havibg succes at 5v5 using his speed/agility to rush and attack the middle of the boxes..

When he struggling, he stay in peripheric, avoid most contact he can... forfeit when it becoming too hard...If it would be an injury, i will stay out of line up to have him healthy come playoff time. the difference between the actual nylander and the guy we saw 1st 30 games, he stop working like he did but leafs will need the right one if they want to make a run in playoff. But 6 game away and playoff and absolutly no sign of life of this nylander, maybe giving jim couple of rest game until playoff could help i dont know. but if this nylander come back and leafs are able to roll 3 extremely dangerous line, everythong is possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: arso40

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
I think I read about this combo in today's PGT, and while I think is too late in the season to try it, and that Keefe has shown he isn't interested in Willy playing C, I'd love to see:

Bert AM Domi
McMann Nylander Marner
Knies Tavares Jarnkrok/Holmberg
Dewar Kamph Reaves/Holmberg/Robertson

Reactions: arso40 and ZEBROA

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
@notDatsyuk - looks like nhl.com is taking stats more seriously these days.

View attachment 847665

So if Benoit or McCabe or Ilya take penalties this post season, the success rate of opposing PPs goes up quite a bit.

I didn't see a way of determining the # of goals against per player. Other than manually = PP GA/60 x (SH TOI/60)

A quality of competition stat would correct for that (not sure there is one).
Makes complete sense based on da eye test too .. on PK you need shot blockers and big guys who can clear net so tenders can see da shots .. Boosh Benoit McCabe and Edmundson are your 4 playoff D

Reactions: kevsh and ACC1224

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Makes complete sense based on da eye test too .. on PK you need shot blockers and big guys who can clear net so tenders can see da shots .. Boosh Benoit McCabe and Edmundson are your 4 playoff D
Expect Brodie and Lily

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Expect Brodie and Lily
I hear 1 of 2 will start game 1 .. i hear Keefer is gonna go with Brodie on 3rd pair .. to me I would take Lily over him but that's very unlikely to occur .. and even heard this directly from Wendy and Tuck last night at Hot Stove

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
You sort of forgot a 6’3 210 pounds rookie who plays as a power forward.
Yeah strange I just went with what I think would work and blanked on Knies because I want Jarnkrok in our top 6 when the chips are on the line. Knies is good though lots of potential but he hasnt impressed me much this season. I was expecting more and I hope he gets in there and mixes it up physically for us but he could also be a liability due to his inexperience. I like my lines but Knies should play for sure his size alone will do us well on the forecheck.

Does any body know what the lines will be for game 1 other than Keefe? Might be match up dependant.

Reactions: Gabriel426

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Yeah strange I just went with what I think would work and blanked on Knies because I want Jarnkrok in our top 6 when the chips are on the line. Knies is good though lots of potential but he hasnt impressed me much this season. I was expecting more and I hope he gets in there and mixes it up physically for us but he could also be a liability due to his inexperience. I like my lines but Knies should play for sure his size alone will do us well on the forecheck.

Does any body know what the lines will be for game 1 other than Keefe? Might be match up dependant.
Holmberg will be the odd man out but who will play 3C?
I don’t think Calle can be good at 3C.
And I really like the Domi, Bert and AM line.
McMann, JT and MM is pretty much what we expected.
What I like about Holmberg game is his speed and his crash the net mindset but to disrupt and cause chaos in front of the net instead of looking to score.

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
So what you're saying is we should expect back to back Conn Smythe worthy playoff performances from Nylander,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad