GDT: Playoff Games Around The League (2014) III - Stanley Cup Edition

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I'm completely neutral about the possibility of Couture being captain. I still cannot get over the fact that dustin brown has won multiple cups being a captain. Almost leads me to believe it makes no difference who wears the "C," I'm dumb struck right now

I'd say its more about the leadership group as a whole and for some reason I just can't imagine Brown being the main voice in that room.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
I ****ing HATE the Kings, but they honestly went through the toughest competition I think I've ever seen. Hats off to them. I'm not sure the Shorks could have done all of that. That was a long road.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I ****ing HATE the Kings, but they honestly went through the toughest competition I think I've ever seen. Hats off to them. I'm not sure the Shorks could have done all of that. That was a long road.

I thought the Bruins were the best team in the east, so if they beat them, it would probably have been one of the most impressive runs in NHL history. It was still really impressive what they did, though.

And not to derail the thread, but where did the "Shork" thing come from again?

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
I thought the Bruins were the best team in the east, so if they beat them, it would probably have been one of the most impressive runs in NHL history. It was still really impressive what they did, though.

Pretty sure the Shork thing came from the T.V guide "Kings vs Shorks" haha

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento

:laugh: It was a mistake on on the Direct TV guide.

GbXAifc.jpg

Anyway, I really meant the Kings' path to the finals. I'm pretty confident the Kings still would've beat the Bruins, but we'll never know. The Kings road to the finals was extremely impressive.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA

li0lsh

Mar 9, 2013
San Francisco, CA
I love how people here are arguing over who wears the "C" when that's not even the issue. The issue is that no one steps it up when it matters. No matter who wears the C, people are gonna look up to the vets -- that's why you obtain them and that's why DW kept trading for them the last decade.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009

Cooch cares..ALOT.. He wants to lift that cup and he's part of the solution going forward not the problem.. It needs to hurt...you gotta dig deeper and take your compete level to a much higher level when it matters... Kings epimotize that

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
Credit the Kings, but there should be a lot of angry bunnies in teal today. I feel like all those wounds just re-opened...

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

Yeah, that's overrated. Give a guy the C, watch his team win, and he gets declared a great leader. Steve Yzerman was regarded as not leadership material for the first chunk of his career. Then Detroit gets into the playoffs, wins a cup, and *bam* Steve Yzerman joins the pantheon of great hockey leaders who exudes magical winning winningness.

Meanwhile Sidney Crosby bursts into the league, gets anointed as the next great leader of men, the Pens win a cup and he gets validated. He's there for Olympic medals and the reputation is magnified. But suddenly the Pens' playoff fortunes go into the toilet and now where are the people questioning Crosby's leadership ability? It's there, but there's no grand call to strip Crosby of his captaincy because somehow if you get branded a leader there are no take-backs even if in retrospect it might've been more illusory than it was believed to be.

Far more than we'd like to admit, the "true leader" quality is more about the narrative that people build around a team than it is about the player themselves.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Hats off to LA. They are a great team and they will be around for years to come. I am not looking forward to my family camp in which I know a few Kings fans who will mock me for what the Sharks did. I guess I should just nod and let them have their pie, or whatever.

Shark Finn

∀dministrator
Jan 5, 2012
Herwood
Anaheim, the first Californian team to win the Cup.

Kings, two cups in three seasons.

At this point if we won the Cup we'd be hearing "we won the Cup first" and "we already have two".

Great. Still, go Sharks!

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
blues didnt have two division rivals win 3 cups in 9 years. 30 percent of the time the past 9 years the cup goes to a division rival of ours.

No you are right, but they have had division rivals win 6 cups in the past 15 years and 4 in the past 12.

masterofallxix

Aug 5, 2005
San Diego/ San Jose
i know a lot of us are thinking that it could have been us last night hoisting the cup if we had gotten 1 more game against the kings. but the more i think about it, the more i feel like we never had a chance to begin with. all 3 West series the kings were involved in went to 7 games. All 4 of the hawks, kings, ducks, sharks, are almost equally good, which is why they all went 7 games. we knew that going into the playoffs that the parity between these teams was very, very slim. if we went to 3 game 7's in a row against these teams, we may have won one, we may have even won two, but knowing our team, there was pretty much no chance in hell that we win 3 game 7's in a row. we were oh so close to beating the kings, but that was probably gonna be it. makes me feel a bit better thinking of it that way haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad