Playoff elimination (or miraculous entry) thread: The magic number is now 0

BeastMode420

Jan 30, 2018
He's achieved a historically bad set of results with Montreal. I don't know how it's possible to defend this guy. The more influence he's had the worse the team has got.

If Kreider didn't intentionaly ran out Price in the 2014 playoffs we would have won the Cup. 50 wins 22 losses in the regular season.

Reactions: CoopersFalls

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Magic number is down to 4.

At this point, even MB will realize its not going to happen this year. And if Weber is out long terme (aka next year too) his reset plan is not looking good. Specially if Price sees this and then asks for a trade.

Im guessing that MB probably doesn’t want to trade Petry because he knows he will need to trade Price too; making once again his reset plan go down the drain.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Magic number is down to 4.

At this point, even MB will realize its not going to happen this year. And if Weber is out long terme (aka next year too) his reset plan is not looking good. Specially if Price sees this and then asks for a trade.

Im guessing that MB probably doesn’t want to trade Petry because he knows he will need to trade Price too; making once again his reset plan go down the drain.

Well Price can't even hide his mistakes. Price has been healghy and we've still been missing the playoffs. Don't know how MB keeps his job.

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
It's Suzuki, Tatar, Norlinder and LeGuerrier. Romanov was drafted in 2018 with the pick obtained alongside a certain Philip Danault, which cost us Dale Weise and Tomas Fleischmann.
So Bergevin is a good GM if we are trading hockey cards with increasing decreasing value. Unfortunately for him, in the real world results on the ice comes first and foremost. And they've been mostly bad since December 2015.

"a certain Philip Danault" as if he's some kind of superstar lol. Raise your standards.

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
You can't move Weber cause we would be on the hook for cap recapture. If a team asks for retention, we put ourselves at risk IMO. Time to move Price and/or Weber is a conversation for 2+ years from now. Moving them and getting the returns we want is a dream IMO. Teams will circle around like vultures waiting to acquire for cheap. Be careful with what you wish for... it could get very messy and we do another Roy trade or worse.

The plan is flawed yes. But I see a good movement in drafting with high draft power and good development trends. Just keep adding darts to improve our draft power. In the short term, our flawed roster is going nowhere and tanking to the bottom is a nice idea but only if you are able to win draft lotteries at the right time. Look at the Oilers... Two star power in Drai and McDavid but still lots of holes to fill. I rather draft that star later in the rebuild vs early. A lot of negativity cause Bergevin is our GM and is in year 8. His biggest problem is only really building through the draft in year 5/8. This means we have growing pain years to come.

Price and Weber will hold on for the ride for a bit yet IMO. Will they demand trades? Possible yes if we have more stall years like this year.
Unless you move Weber back to Nashville

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
So Bergevin is a good GM if we are trading hockey cards with increasing decreasing value. Unfortunately for him, in the real world results on the ice comes first and foremost. And they've been mostly bad since December 2015.

"a certain Philip Danault" as if he's some kind of superstar lol. Raise your standards.

Not sure what is the point of that post. Not much substance in there aside heavy projection towards my initial comment. You seem to be agitated, and it leads you to imply things that simply aren't there. I corrected the facts brought forward, and whild I did, I didn't mention or refer to either of the following :
- my opinion on Bergevin's managerial skills ;
- the team's impact in the standings ;
- an elite quality in Philip Danault's game ;
- my own standards ;

And yet, assumptions about all of the points above were present in that short, low-quality post of yours. Impressive. Very nice.

Reactions: Boardish

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
What I don't understand is that they talk about wanting to make the playoffs last year and now this year yet don't do anything about it. Last year they did next to nothing at the deadline, the off-season they did next to nothing. Last year if they got a good backup they likely make the playoffs, this year who knows where the team would in the standings if they had a good backup and didn't have to play Price in back to backs or so often as he's been playing a ton of late.

So what do they do about? They sign a guy like Kinkaid who sucked last year, now granted maybe they thought he would get the job done but when it became clear he couldn't why then just go to Lindgren when he hasn't been very good in the AHL since last year.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
We are soon to be overtaken by Buffalo.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Only need to go 18-3 and then anything can happen. Keep riding Pricer and hold onto everyone to go for it

If we go 18-3, we finish the year with 98 points. That means we also need the Leafs to go 13-9-1 in their final 23 games and finish with 97 points in order for us to finish ahead of them and make the playoffs.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
If the mods could please change the 4 in the title of this thread to 3.5.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
We are soon to be overtaken by Buffalo.

I wouldn't count on that, they have only won 4 of their last 10, but maybe we get lucky and they beat the leafs tomorrow. If you rank the teams by goal diff, while not saying it means this is how the draft would end up pre-lottery but just to given an idea,

1. wings
2. sens
3. la
4. nj
5. sj
6. ducks
7. sabers
8. hawks
9. wild
10. Habs
11. jets
12. nash
13. panthers
14. NYR
15. Canes

Reactions: habsfan891

Lucky Luke

Jun 17, 2006
Our beloved Habs would need to win more than 80% of their remaining matchups in order to have a shot at making the playoffs.

Ain't gonna happen.

get25

Oct 17, 2015

If there is anything you can`t blame MB it is trade.

You can make a point about draft, coaches, AHL, development, other stuff...

But saying he is bad at trade:banghead::help::noway:

get25

Oct 17, 2015
Our beloved Habs would need to win more than 80% of their remaining matchups in order to have a shot at making the playoffs.

Ain't gonna happen.
Below 1%. We would need .857...

Let`s present this another way.
Suppose we have 10 consecutive wins...
We would still need .727 in the remaining games to make the PO.

If that does not close it, nothing will...

Reactions: habergeon

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Below 1%. We would need .857...

Let`s present this another way.
Suppose we have 10 consecutive wins...
We would still need .727 in the remaining games to make the PO.

If that does not close it, nothing will...

we need runs of 9-2 and 9-1 to have a shot of making the playoffs. So do need 4 really good win streaks if we don't have the one big one. (ex: win 4, lose 1, win 5, lose 1, win 4, lose 1, win 5). And even then, the Leafs or Panthers can't get too hot, as that gets us to 98 points.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
Not sure if MB will use this opportunity to sell.
Petry is staying for sure. Tatar is our best scorer.

Maybe a trade (Domi - Brodin?).

I have no problem keeping Thompson and Kovalchuck.
Both are good for the youth.

But we are not buyer for sure...

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
we need runs of 9-2 and 9-1 to have a shot of making the playoffs. So do need 4 really good win streaks if we don't have the one big one. (ex: win 4, lose 1, win 5, lose 1, win 4, lose 1, win 5). And even then, the Leafs or Panthers can't get too hot, as that gets us to 98 points.

It was over awhile ago but I’ll say it with guarantee now. It’s over. Fans should be focused on the summer when change should be coming. Even Molson has to have a limit on when to pull the plug.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
It was over awhile ago but I’ll say it with guarantee now. It’s over. Fans should be focused on the summer when change should be coming. Even Molson has to have a limit on when to pull the plug.

yes this week was the big test and 0-3-1 has all but sealed the deal. Given we had a relatively healthy lineup, MB must even see that he needs to make major changes if he wants to compete for the playoffs next year. Will be interesting to see what he does at the deadline and summer. If it was up to me I'd trade all vets including Price and Weber and do a proper rebuild. But it's not, so that won't happen.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
yes this week was the big test and 0-3-1 has all but sealed the deal. Given we had a relatively healthy lineup, MB must even see that he needs to make major changes if he wants to compete for the playoffs next year. Will be interesting to see what he does at the deadline and summer. If it was up to me I'd trade all vets including Price and Weber and do a proper rebuild. But it's not, so that won't happen.

Yup had 4 tough teams with a fairly healthy lineup (Weber is a huge loss) and lost them all.

The D simply isn't good enough. No way we should lose one guy and the rest can't hold it down.

The team just isn't very good.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad