Playoff elimination (or miraculous entry) thread: The magic number is now 0

Montreal Impact FC

.:| Champ's City |:.
Jun 7, 2012
Montreal
I believe that even when the magic number is -5, the team will still be tryin to make the playoffs. There is MB’s plan for you: never quit.

oh there is absolutely no doubt about it.

technically you gotta think all team above in the standings could lose all their remaining games.

so.. even if the tvs, computers, phones and radios say its not possible to make it, its probably because they arent in di NHL and they dont know what it is from the inside. #fakenews he will probably say to himself.

If StLouis could.... well we still can.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Yup had 4 tough teams with a fairly healthy lineup (Weber is a huge loss) and lost them all.

The D simply isn't good enough. No way we should lose one guy and the rest can't hold it down.

The team just isn't very good.

Plus Drouin may have been pretty far from 100%. Or in this case he's just taking more time to get back. So it's almost the same tesm as when the downturn started i.e. we ithout Byron and Drouin, minus Weber, but plus Kovy snd Scandella.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Not really, still did a major steal with Tatar, Suzuki and Romanov for Paciorrety. I can pick and choose too. You have BDS aka Bergevin Derangement Syndrome.
They are about to miss the play offs for the 4th time in last 5 years. Last 3 consecutive. Have not won a round since 2015.

No picking and choosing about that. Just a horrible losing record.

If trades are not making your team any better...............who gives a f*** if he looks to have got the edge in some. Its not about HIM. Its about the losing team he continues to maintain. No matter what he does.

How anyone can defend the biggest loser GM in the league is baffling.

If Marc Bergevin should not be fired now.......no GM should be........ever. :laugh:

Reactions: BLONG7

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
If Kreider didn't intentionaly ran out Price in the 2014 playoffs we would have won the Cup. 50 wins 22 losses in the regular season.
LOL You sound just the Leaf fans all summer long in 93 and still today.

They would have won the Cup ........had they not lost before even getting there.

BTW. The team with a healthy, even better Hasek like Price the very next play offs...... barely beat the Sens and went out in the second round.

Habs were lucky to get as far as they did in 014. Proven by the fact they have won all of ONE round since.

Reactions: the

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
yes this week was the big test and 0-3-1 has all but sealed the deal. Given we had a relatively healthy lineup, MB must even see that he needs to make major changes if he wants to compete for the playoffs next year. Will be interesting to see what he does at the deadline and summer. If it was up to me I'd trade all vets including Price and Weber and do a proper rebuild. But it's not, so that won't happen.
So no it wont "be interesting to see what he does". Ground hog day never is.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
So no it wont "be interesting to see what he does". Ground hog day never is.

Well I'm interested but not having high hopes. It may be groundhog day in that it will be a failure. But I wouldn't be surprised if there's a whole new strategy.

Plus i think it's going to be harder and harder to keep bringing MB back so I'm "interested" to see what excuses/rationale Molson keeps coming up with at these year end pressers. My guess: this is year 1 in the new 6 to 8 year plan. The youth are great, although they all didn't progress linearly this year. Still the future is bright!

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Well I'm interested but not having high hopes. It may be groundhog day in that it will be a failure. But I wouldn't be surprised if there's a whole new strategy.

Plus i think it's going to be harder and harder to keep bringing MB back so I'm "interested" to see what excuses/rationale Molson keeps coming up with at these year end pressers.
Molson already covered that. "3 to 8 year plan is exciting"

Reactions: 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Molson already covered that. "3 to 8 year plan is exciting"

I added my guess after you replied but before I saw your reply...my guess is what you wrote: that he'll keep repeating the same thing. Still the fact remains the goal was to compete for a playoff spot, and efforts toward that end failed.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I added my guess after you replied but before I saw your reply...my guess is what you wrote: that he'll keep repeating the same thing. Still the fact remains the goal was to compete for a playoff spot, and efforts toward that end failed.
and thats the lingo they use all the time

the goal was to COMPETE for a play off spot.

and they will say they did that.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
and thats the lingo they use all the time

the goals was to COMPETE for a play off spot.

and they will say they did that.

That's the thing, if we finish 7th last in the league, are they really going to tey to say that. This year we really weren't competitive for a playoff spot. Last year we were. Not this year. Molson sent out his tweet 1 week too early. We were meek competition in the 4 huge games this week.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
If there is anything you can`t blame MB it is trade.

You can make a point about draft, coaches, AHL, development, other stuff...

But saying he is bad at trade:banghead::help::noway:

If you take his trades in a nutshell you are right. But you can't do that. Trades must be part of a clear plan. They must work together. I would still say Subban for Weber is a bad trade. Not because the trade itself is bad but because Weber today is worse than Subban was back when the trade was made both on the ice and in trade value. This was very predictable there's no hindsight here. You should not 4 years after a trade is made be stuck with a downgrade compared to what you had when the trade was made unless you were aiming for a cup when the trade was made (Inginla for Nieuwendyk type of trade). We were definitely not aiming for a cup not even close.

Shaw for two very good 2nd round picks is 100% a bad trade. Not in term of overall value (although it was certainty not great). But when your team just totally crumbled like a cheap card castle after just one injury to your start goalie the last thing you need is Andrew ****** ******* Shaw. He was a win now player. Someone you get when you have a team like the Caps or the Pens. You don't pay two high 2nd round picks for a deluxe 3rd line player with a concussion history when you need to find elite players. To the surprise of nobody we got less for Shaw 3 years after the trade than what we paid for him. Again we lost value and we were not aiming for a cup. This is 100% unacceptable and there's no hindsight here all of this was foreseeable and many guys around here predicted it.

Those two trades make sense only if you are all in. We were not. We were actually building thru draft ...

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
If you take his trades in a nutshell you are right. But you can't do that. Trades must be part of a clear plan. They must work together. I would still say Subban for Weber is a bad trade. Not because the trade itself is bad but because Weber today is worse than Subban was back when the trade was made both on the ice and in trade value. This was very predictable there's no hindsight here. You should not 4 years after a trade is made be stuck with a downgrade compared to what you had when the trade was made unless you were aiming for a cup when the trade was made (Inginla for Nieuwendyk type of trade). We were definitely not aiming for a cup not even close.

Shaw for two very good 2nd round picks is 100% a bad trade. Not in term of overall value (although it was certainty not great). But when your team just totally crumbled like a cheap card castle after just one injury to your start goalie the last thing you need is Andrew ****** ******* Shaw. He was a win now player. Someone you get when you have a team like the Caps or the Pens. You don't pay two high 2nd round picks for a deluxe 3rd line player with a concussion history when you need to find elite players. To the surprise of nobody we got less for Shaw 3 years after the trade than what we paid for him. Again we lost value and we were not aiming for a cup. This is 100% unacceptable and there's no hindsight here all of this was foreseeable and many guys around here predicted it.

Those two trades make sense only if you are all in. We were not. We were actually building thru draft ...
I disagree on a bunch of stuff in there and agree on a couple of things.

I will keep my comment simple as it would take me too much time otherwise.

if trading Shaw is what makes your team fall apart, then you really didn’t have a team to begin with...so trading Shaw was still the right move.

Also, trading Shaw a few years down and injuries added for the same thing he cost you is not bad, no matter how you turn it.

Cheers,

Reactions: Edgy

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Unless you move Weber back to Nashville

They still would either have to have a legit injury or fake one. Faking one is risky and not as easy as fans think. Insurance investigation could get messy. I rather consider trading Weber and/or Price in 2 years time. I think that's the right timing in terms of evaluating our ability to rise in the standings or stall and to see how good the kids are. A bump in the salary cap will help too (US TV deal and Seattle revenue).

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Two years?

Their value is going down every day, we aren't winning anything in the next 2 years, so why keep them?

Nope. I disagree their value is going down everyday. You are ignoring cap space and you likely also think we can just steal away the other teams players at our choice. All the power to you if you think moving them today is for the best. I'm not on that bandwagon.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Cap space and money has nothing to do with human nature and players aging and getting older

Cap space is a huge factor in trades today cause half the teams in the league are tight. Look at the Coleman trade lately and what his salary is bud.

You want to trade Weber at this deadline right? Well, teams will ask us to retain and if we do, do you know that we could possibly be on the hook for $4.5M of cap recapture penalty down the road? Retention and cap recapture cap hits. Don't think you understand the real circumstance of what I am saying about 2+ years from now is the best time to move Price and Weber.

Trading players like this with less term and with a higher salary cap is easier than trading them today where we would be asked to retain salary. That's risky business with the term they have left bud

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
This team is so frustrating. Everyone talks about how we've been eliminated for weeks, or months even since our 2nd 8 game losing streak in a row at the holidays.

We had been slowly gaining momentum. Than this week - 4 games. Had we won all 4 games - instead of losing all 4 games, right now we'd be sitting at a record of:

31-23-7 with 69 points. We've have 1 game more played than Toronto, but back only 1 point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad