Playoff elimination (or miraculous entry) thread: The magic number is now 0

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
has to start with a win in tampa and 2 leafs losses on the west coast. BUt odds are we lose and we can relax and aim for a better pick again
Had to check that this post was made on Tuesday. Guys, you seriously think this team can make it? And even if they do, what’s the point if they’re going to lose?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Had to check that this post was made on Tuesday. Guys, you seriously think this team can make it? And even if they do, what’s the point if they’re going to lose?

I don't think anyone thinks we have much chance at all - including Bergevin. But it ain't over until it's over. If you were a player would you just stop playing hard?

Leafs have to play really bad and we have to play 60 minutes every game. The first thing probably won't happen, but could. We haven't yet been able to do the 2nd.

Last edited:

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
i did not say it can. I said it starts with that. team wont make it , but mathematically, it is possible if that scenario happens as we still play the leafs twice. And no i dont want them to make it except i would exstatic if this bad team kicks the leafs out of the playoffs

Reactions: 26Mats

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
They have to go 12-2 to get to 95 points.

giphy.gif

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
They have to go 12-2 to get to 95 points.

Not impossible, given their light schedule. They would have to get their heads out of their asses - which they haven't managed to do all year.

Aside from Tampa, Colorado and Toronto, they play all non-playoff teams and bubble teams.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Not impossible, given their light schedule. They would have to get their heads out of their asses - which they haven't managed to do all year.

The issue honestly isn't themselves for the playoffs, it's the # of teams ahead of them. They have to go 12-2 PLUS 2-3 other teams crater

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The issue honestly isn't themselves for the playoffs, it's the # of teams ahead of them. They have to go 12-2 PLUS 2-3 other teams crater

Only Toronto and Florida have to cater to get the #3 seed in their division. Florida is catering and Toronto hasn't shown they can be consistent without Reilly.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Only Toronto and Florida have to cater to get the #3 seed in their division. Florida is catering and Toronto hasn't shown they can be consistent without Reilly.

I doubt both collapse while the Habs go on a run.

The likeliest outcome is they go 9-4-1 and finish with 90 points.

Reactions: 26Mats

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
I disagree, there is 2 teams ahead of them for 1 position. Forget the wild card .

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The issue honestly isn't themselves for the playoffs

well to some degree it certainly is, you can't have a 2 goal lead vs the wings and lose, giving up 3 goals in the 3rd to the worst team in the NHL. Giving up a 3 goal lead vs the stars, 2 goal leads vs wings, nucks and NYR. You can't fight for the playoffs and just give away that many points. That's not even touching having 16 games without a win in between them.

If you are that bad defensively you aren't going to make the playoffs. Granted I'm not watching the games for the most part, I only watched maybe 2 full games and other times I watch a period or two to see guys like Evans or Fleury when he was up, etc..

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I doubt both collapse while the Habs go on a run.

The likeliest outcome is they go 9-4-1 and finish with 90 points.

@Andy is the only person I've seen who still thinks they make it.

I would say, stranger things have happened. But this would have to be the most incredible come back in franchise history if not NHL history - at least that I'm aware of.

Jul 6, 2016
I still think they make the playoffs.

I hope you're buying lottery tickets...

But if the teams ahead of them are losing like 75% of their remaining games..... Maybe !

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014

I would say, stranger things have happened. But this would have to be the most incredible come back in franchise history if not NHL history - at least that I'm aware of.

Ottawa in 2015 is the one I can remember, they went 20-3-3 in their last 26 games.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal

Didn't Ottawa have the most historic comeback a few years ago?

The offense on the habs seems to be pretty hot right now. If Price can stand on his head, I can see them going on an extended winning streak. Florida has not been playing well at all.

I think from now until the end of the season, they need to gain on Toronto only, which though a stretch, is possible. Toronto hasn't been playing well either recently.

It's a long-shot, for sure, but given the way Florida and the Leafs have been playing, it's possible.

Also, Columbus and Carolina are pretty banged up at the moment.

In the last 10 games, the habs have outperformed Florida, Columbus, Carolina and the Islanders. They are just behind the leafs in the last 10.

Jul 6, 2016
Ottawa in 2015 is the one I can remember, they went 20-3-3 in their last 26 games.

St-Louis had a great record too after their coach's change and Binnington arrival.

Ottawa had the very hot Humburglar. And they decided to give the net back to Anderson in the Playoffs and lost.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
And, a more complete picture is the following:
If we lose 2 more games in our next 13, we can't get to 94 points.
If we lose 1.5 more games in our next 13, we can't get to 95 points.
If we lose 1 more games in our next 13, we can't get to 96 points.
If we lose 0.5 more games in our next 13, we can't get to 97 points.
we can no longer get to 98 points.
we can no longer get to 99 points.
we can no longer get to 100 points.

Reactions: KotkaSpicy and Wats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Colorado, Toronto and Tampa were the only good teams left in our final 14 games. Before Tatar and Gallagher went down, we showed no indication we could beat everyone else plus Toronto (i.e. only lose to Colorado and Tampa). Now with Tatar likely out a while, it's even worse - although better for our draft position. Would be really sweet to get a top 9 pick in this year's draft.

Reactions: atrud66

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad