Pre-Game Talk: Playoff Avatar Logo poll

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Hey can someone do me a favor and look up the maximum avatar file size?

I want to make a 125x125 version of the morphing for people to share.

Note: The maximum size of your custom image is 125 by 125 pixels or 20.0 KB (whichever is smaller).

I've tried in the past to make my own avatars for here, but my file sizes were always massive even when I use .jpg images which I believe are the smallest I can use, although I'm not 100 pct sure on that. I'm not sure whether it was my images or possibly the gif maker thing I was using that caused it to be that large. If anyone has tips on how to reduce stuff like that, as well as a step by step process in how to make them, lemme know, I'm interested. I use GIMP and haven't run into any issues with it in the years I have been using it.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
I've tried in the past to make my own avatars for here, but my file sizes were always massive even when I use .jpg images which I believe are the smallest I can use, although I'm not 100 pct sure on that. I'm not sure whether it was my images or possibly the gif maker thing I was using that caused it to be that large. If anyone has tips on how to reduce stuff like that, as well as a step by step process in how to make them, lemme know, I'm interested. I use GIMP and haven't run into any issues with it in the years I have been using it.
Thanks. 20 kb is going to be pretty tough. My 150x150 is like 45 kb.

I mentioned this earlier, but if you do a search for "gif optimizer" I found a website that does various things to shrink the filesize. It had offered 3 different methods. One was lossy compression. One was reducing the color palette. The third was throwing out every nth frame. Of course my thing was hand-made without extra frames so I didn't do that. I ended up using lossy compression. Using the "Medium" algorithm dropped my filesize from like 75 k to 45 k.

If you are referring to the source images, I don't think that .jpg images matter once putting into gif. Because it probably just uses the full bitmap, uncompressed. Any compression happens later.

edit: http://design.tutsplus.com/tutorials/10-ways-to-optimize-an-animated-gif-file--psd-34649

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Yea idk. I couldn't for the life of me get a gif anywhere near 20 KBs of information when I tried even with a limited number of slides. I admire the people on here that can, some of them are really nice too. I have no idea how they do it.

duckaroosky

So sayeth Duckthulu
May 26, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
Wait... Snark is a pleb like the rest of us now. How come he gets to keep the larger avatar size? :squint:

Or is the first rule of having a larger avatar is we do not talk about having a larger avatar?

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Yea idk. I couldn't for the life of me get a gif anywhere near 20 KBs of information when I tried even with a limited number of slides. I admire the people on here that can, some of them are really nice too. I have no idea how they do it.
Yeah I've never tried to do an animation before. The most I do is 3 frames, with mostly solid colors for most of them. I think one time I did an animation with a 2-frame goal light.

Wait... Snark is a pleb like the rest of us now. How come he gets to keep the larger avatar size? :squint:

Or is the first rule of having a larger avatar is we do not talk about having a larger avatar?
I guess not all plebes are equal? I'm just better at plebing it than you are.

Last edited:

gunnergunther

Jul 3, 2010
can i get a getzy snot rocket one with a booger green 15?

isbLBjB.png

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
OK here is a cut-down version of the D morph. I had to reduce the size to 105 x 105, and made all sorts of compromises. Cut frames, reduce colors, bigger lossy compression. I'm not sure I got the timing quite right, but it seems good enough. Considering it's animated at 8 frames a second... I'd say it's not too bad.

2eyj71c.gif

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
These are amazing. Awesome work!

Is it possible for me to get one with this picture of Sami please?

View attachment 81949

Edit: Sorry. I'm not very good at this. You have to click on the picture to get the full size. Is it usable that way?

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Haha, it cool. If you or anyone else interested in a cool Andersen shot these could look great:

457406792_slide.jpg

457405324_slide.jpg

Jax if you are reading this, scratch the Lindholm one, can you do this 2nd Andersen one? :laugh:

Any of both is fine though. :)

Thanx rollingdux :handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad