Players you miss from the dark days

oilers83

Feb 14, 2008
Mike Morrison skating in cold for the shootout in 2005 is solid. Anything to get Ty "I cost the 06 cup" Conklin out of the net is great

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
No one and nothing.

What an awful nine years of hockey its been. I'd like to forget the whole mess. I can honestly say there isn't one player from that stint that I have any fondness for. Maaaybe Roloson.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I'll do both dark periods, picking one major player and one support player.

The 90's

Impact player: Doug Weight. The obvious choice, but the right choice. The guy was a tremendous leader and one of the only reasons to watch the Oil from 93-96. Had a 100+ point season playing with relative scrubs while being a play maker/pass first type of player. Had some grit to his game. One of the most creative play makers of his generation.

Support player: Steven Rice. The guy was a wrecking ball on the forecheck. Really wish we had a guy like that now (Hendricks would be the closest comparable currently, but doesn't blow guys up that often).

The recent years

Impact player: Hemsky. The sick dangles always left you jaw dropped, but wondering when he might learn to shoot a bit more and keep defenders honest. Never seemed quite the same after Regehr turned his spine into an accordion.

Support player: Theo Peckham. Just because of the Claude Lemieux fight. I will pick up that guy's bar tab from here to eternity just for filling in Claude.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
One thing I always loved was the various call ups we'd have when regulars got hurt, it's great in retrospect to look back and see names like Bryan Young, Alain Rouke, Charles Linglet show up. I wasn't crazy into e Oilers until the last few years, so I wasn't familiar with too many players outside of the regulars so i found it entertaining to see someone who to me was almost coming. Out from nowhere to play for stretches.

Sebastian Basillion.
I will never forget the crazy injury woes that made the team recall a QMJHL defender on an emergency basis.
That team was bad. They usually scored one goal a game.

And Toby Peterson. MacTavish's magic man.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Sebastian Basillion.
I will never forget the crazy injury woes that made the team recall a QMJHL defender on an emergency basis.
That team was bad. They usually scored one goal a game.

And Toby Peterson. MacTavish's magic man.

I wonder if any NHL team has ever been banged up in one position all at one time as we were with our D that season.

I think that Basillion was literally the last defenseman left in our entire organization on an NHL deal that wasn't injured when he got called up.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Stoll, Macintyre, Jones, come to mind. I think what I liked best about Macintyre was his personallity, I meet him quite a few times and if he noticed that you recognized him he approached you.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
lol where were all these souray supporters back when he was on the outs with the team? He got nothing but hate back then. Same with Cogliano.

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
Does Radek Dvorak count?

He left after 2006 so maybe not...

He was frustrating as hell because he didn't know what to do with his speed but man oh man was he exciting to watch.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
I wonder if any NHL team has ever been banged up in one position all at one time as we were with our D that season.

I think that Basillion was literally the last defenseman left in our entire organization on an NHL deal that wasn't injured when he got called up.

I have never heard of it before or after.
That is one season that was an automatic writeoff just because of the injuries.

This team has had a series of embarrassing problems for a professional sports club. They all happened so quickly as well

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
lol where were all these souray supporters back when he was on the outs with the team? He got nothing but hate back then. Same with Cogliano.

That can really be said about most guys that were dealt from this club.

As for Cogs, for some reason people think he's some sort of different player now. He's pretty much the same guy except he plays wing and isn't one of a dozen smurfs on a club.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad