Players with nationalities you didnt expect based on their name

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
When I got into the NHL in 92/93, I genuinely thought he was swedish (I'm swedish), learned pretty quickly that he wasn't. I think his grandparents are though.

I'm Swedish and I thought that too. I used to save Eric Lindros hockey cards because I thought he was Swedish.

MoeTheHobo

Jan 24, 2017
Henrik Borgstrom most probably comes from the Aalands finns and there are plenty of Finnish players like that but I still thought of him as Swedish for a while.
Less than 10% of the Swedish speaking population of Finland comes from the Åland and he is not one of them. Borgström is in fact not a Swedish speaker despite his name

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Hahaha, yeah I was pretty fired up to see some Italian presence in the NHL. Then I saw both were being considered for Canada's Olympic team in 2010, and found I was way off on their nationality.

Not to be a jerk, but "Milan" isn’t even an Italian name. The city itself is called Milano and it’s definitely not a (common) boys name in Italy (let’s not even address Lucic ;) )

On the other hand, Roberto Luongo‘s dad is Italian. So not far off at all.

Galactico

Feb 17, 2016
Canada
When I was a kid, I always thought that Mike Bossy was French-Canadian because of the way his last name was written and pronounced in the Soviet Union ( with the stress on the last syllable) but he is in fact of Ukrainian origin.

Colaiacovo sounded Finnish to me when I heard it, maybe because it has so many vowels.

With all the history of immigration, you can hardly be surprised by so many non-anglo last names in North America but when Bjork's parents decided to call him Anders and not Andrew, that can throw you off.

Henrik Borgstrom most probably comes from the Aalands finns and there are plenty of Finnish players like that but I still thought of him as Swedish for a while.

My all time favourite name is Hnat Domenicheli. His last name can't be more Italian while his first name is a really old-time classic Ukrainian name and these names appear to have nothing in common when put together. It's like having someone named Hans de la Pena, or like Zbigniew Dubois. Or, Vladimir Guerrero :DD
Well Mike Bossy IS French Canadian.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Said it.previoisly
.New Brunswick, aka the ass crack of Canada. True that i didnt met any when i lived in MTL

Weird. It's definitely not of French origin, most likely Germanic/Scottish. From what I gathered, several Lang came to Canada in the late 18th/19th century under the British rule.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Actually 98% of the worlds maple syrup reserves come for Quebec ...... and Wee Willy is Way too soft to be French Canadian.

Way too soft to come from the Ottawa Valley as well and I'll put Lanark County Maple syrup up against any, anywhere, anytime. Temple's, Fortune's, all good Canadian Boys lol.

Reactions: LaTenderness

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Unknown.jpeg

Douglas Murrray...Was surprised to learn that he's Swedish?

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
In Russia everyone thought that Martin Gelinas is czech or slovak, since in russian our sports press was writing his name as Martin Zhilina

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad