Players who won a cup on a team they're not known for

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I thought of Dave Lumley and the Canadiens, but I guess he didn't. He only played 3 regular season games for Montreal in '79.

But certainly not many people think of Lumley as a Hab.
Your post prompted me to search for an image of Lumley as a Hab... something I have never seen! This turned up, but I can't say if it's legit or a fake:
LUMLEY-DAVE-79-80.jpg

Lumley certainly has the Oilers' crest tattooed on his heart. He was one of the "magnificent 7" who were there at the NHL start of the franchise and carried it on through the first Cup.

He's also a guy who's classic late-70s/early-80s hirsute look and vacant stare make him look he never made it home from Woodstock:
308850.jpg

Reactions: Staniowski

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Your post prompted me to search for an image of Lumley as a Hab... something I have never seen! This turned up, but I can't say if it's legit or a fake:
LUMLEY-DAVE-79-80.jpg

Lumley certainly has the Oilers' crest tattooed on his heart. He was one of the "magnificent 7" who were there at the NHL start of the franchise and carried it on through the first Cup.

He's also a guy who's classic late-70s/early-80s hirsute look and vacant stare make him look he never made it home from Woodstock:
308850.jpg
Lumley was drafted by the Habs way back in '74, then 3 more seasons at the University of New Hampshire, then 2 full season for Montreal's AHL team, then traded to Edmonton.

I don't recognize that hockey card of him.....

hacksaw7

Dec 3, 2020
hubmartingelinas2.jpg

Martin Gelinas won a Cup early in his career with the 1990 Oilers. He would later come agonizingly close with the Canucks, Hurricanes, and Flames...but at least he had that one

MuzikMachine

Nov 14, 2005
Damn always forget that.

For me it's Coffey winning a Cup with Pittsburgh, Mogilny winning with the Devils and both Owen Noland/Mike Ricci winning with the 96 Avalanche.

Owen Nolan didn't win a Cup with the Avalanche, he was part of the Sandis Ozolinsh trade earlier that season.

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I always thought it's somewhat odd Mike Vernon won a Cup in Detroit. Definitely a Flame in my mind.

In the 90s it seemed like a bit of a tradition for former Cup winners on Canadian teams to get shipped off to the States to help other franchises win cups.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad