Players who were projected relatively high in their pre-draft years

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I vaguely recall the article you’re referring to. I did dig out the ‘92 Draft Preview and went to the ‘93 look-ahead thinking that must be it, but Buckberger was just listed in the “others” category, listed first in alphabetical order.

View attachment 465246

I’ll see if I can find anything else previewing the ‘93 Draft in 1992.

thank you—always love reading these, whether or not they confirm my hazy millennial-aged memories.

Reactions: DaveG and Habsfan18

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Since someone mentioned Fata... this was on the last page of the first issue I ever received in the mail with my new subscription. I was 14. I remember thinking this 15 year old kid looked like an adult. Since he was the first young phenom I ever heard about earlier than his draft year, I anticipated his arrival greatly. Needless to say, I was disappointed. Fata quickly earned a reputation as someone who could flat out fly, and.......................uh.................

Attachments

• 20210917_165549.jpg
    20210917_165549.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 14

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Awhile back I found this old 1995-96 Sporting News season preview magazine. For the 1996 Draft preview, the author was touting a Russian named Andrei Petrunin as a candidate to go #1 overall. Don't remember him at all, but he'd go in the 3rd round to Hartford and spent a season+ in North America before going back to Russia.

Same article mentions Robert Dome, Joe Thornton, Daniel Cleary, Mattias Karlin, and Nick Boynton as top guys for 1997.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Awhile back I found this old 1995-96 Sporting News season preview magazine. For the 1996 Draft preview, the author was touting a Russian named Andrei Petrunin as a candidate to go #1 overall. Don't remember him at all, but he'd go in the 3rd round to Hartford and spent a season+ in North America before going back to Russia.

Same article mentions Robert Dome, Joe Thornton, Daniel Cleary, Mattias Karlin, and Nick Boynton as top guys for 1997.

I had high hopes for Andrei Petrunin and Alexei Kolkunov. Those guys could stick handle in a phone booth.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005

I remember Petrunin, perhaps from the same article. He was playing with Samsonov in Russia and around the 95 draft I remember these guys being mentioned in a 'looking ahead' to future draft stars type of article.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I vaguely recall the article you’re referring to. I did dig out the ‘92 Draft Preview and went to the ‘93 look-ahead thinking that must be it, but Buckberger was just listed in the “others” category, listed first in alphabetical order.

View attachment 465246

I’ll see if I can find anything else previewing the ‘93 Draft in 1992.

Seems like in 93 everyone was trying to find the next Lindros, skating be damned.

Reactions: DaveG

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Samsonov and Petrunin received some serious hype in 1995-96, with Samsonov getting the bulk of the attention as a future superstar and possible 1st overall pick for the 1997 draft. This card could have made some people rich!

286514.jpg

Reactions: DaveG and Brodeur

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I don't have a detailed knowledge of the background, but John Mcfarland was the one who came to mind.

1st overall pick in the OHL (the year after Stamkos?) but was a Draft Day 2 guy in the NHL (33rd overall to Florida). I remember the cameras watching him as he didn't make the first round/Day 1 cut and he seemed irritated. Only played 3 career NHL games.

Nerowoy nora tolad

May 9, 2018
Gladstone, Australia
I don't have a detailed knowledge of the background, but John Mcfarland was the one who came to mind.

1st overall pick in the OHL (the year after Stamkos?) but was a Draft Day 2 guy in the NHL (33rd overall to Florida). I remember the cameras watching him as he didn't make the first round/Day 1 cut and he seemed irritated. Only played 3 career NHL games.
I remember reading his 2010 draft profile and he had a horrible rep for character/maturity at that point

Although you can never really tell exactly what that means from a distance

Reactions: DaveG and shadow1

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Weird reply to me but yes, Fata was hyped big time and did end up playing 200+ NHL games. World class speed and nothing else. He was a great player to pick up on EA sports NHL hockey.

Rico Fata played for his hometown Soo Greyhounds at 15 in the ohl before he was draft eligible.The following year he was drafted by the London Knights.There was alot of interest in him at such a young age & that's why I mentioned him.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
Rico Fata played for his hometown Soo Greyhounds at 15 in the ohl before he was draft eligible.The following year he was drafted by the London Knights.There was alot of interest in him at such a young age & that's why I mentioned him.
There was no reason to quote my reply though. That's why I called it weird.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad